What items have you purchased that you're really happy with

Could be a big ticket item like a new kayak that just blows you away, or just a little optional thing that you think really worked out well, and that you’re happy to promote.

Here is my short list of little things that I would hate to have to go without:

Crocs water sandals - Just got them 6 months ago and I love them. Comfy to walk in, comfy to wear, quick drying, they stay on my feet in muck, they actually look pretty decent IMO (you might not think it of Croc’s, but I do like the look of the sandals), and a fairly low profile which is nice for getting in and out of my boat. They are my favorite water shoe thus far.

Seals brand Mesh Deck Bag - I just got this yesterday and paddled for the first time with it today, so this is a first impression. What I like about it is the extremely low profile (for the bag itself; obviously, if you stuff it with big items it will expand accordingly), inexpensive, seems to be well constructed, and it’s just a model of simplicity. It doesn’t have rigid dividers or bungees or anything else…just a mesh bag with a zipper and some clips to secure it to your deck lines. Since it is mesh, you can see what you need. This will be especially useful when I get my new boat and have to give up my old sprayskirt which has a zippered pocket (an soon-to-be retired favorite item).

Anura “amphibious” note pad (I think that’s the brand name). I’ve been using these for a while but sadly, I don’t think they are available any more, at least not in the states (maybe in Australia). Basically it’s a waterproof notepad with a tethered pencil and a hard back (like a diver’s slate) which makes it easy to scribble stuff on the pages. It also has a plastic snap clip which I use to attach it to the bungees in front of the cockpit. I almost always come back with at least a couple of pages of notes (everything from what I might like to make for dinner tomorrow to something I want to look up on the web, to how long it took me to get from point A to point B, etc.). My mind wanders all over when I’m paddling and I like to jot it down.

Klean Kanteen - Lightweight, stainless steel water (or whatever) bottle with a very functional no-spill drinking spout. One of my favorite parts of every paddle is stopping for an hour or so (usually about 2/3rds into the trip) to sip on coffee, preferably in a salt marsh or other tranquil location, let my mind wander, enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the environment, etc. I’ve tried other beverage bottles but the Klean Kanteen is the best in my view. I have a single walled model and my coffee is usually lukewarm by the time I get around to it but I don’t mind at all. However, I see they now have a double walled model with “keep hot” times of 10 hours or so, so it’s going on my Christmas list.

You know, sometimes just a real basic item contributes disproportionately to my enjoyment of being out on the water.

Dave

My espresso machine from Handpresso:

https://kokatat.com/product/gore-texr-norwester-acugnw best hat ever! You can bent sides or front & rear up and down, it floats, will stay on your head in 30+ knot winds, is comfortable, has great adjustment features, good visibility, insulates your head from cold and heat, good sun protection, rinses and drys nicely. I went out once since I got and I was miserable.

My https://kokatat.com/product/gore-tex-expedition-dry-suit-dsuexp & polar-tec liner. Hood is great in winter. Just an excellent product.

My Current Designs collection of North American style kayaks with the Solstice number one!

Best pump http://www.beckson.com/tmpumps.html other have fallen apart on me like shaft pulling out. Beckson made in the USA. I I rinse and 303 all my pumps inside after going out.

Ikelos CF paddles in a few lengths.

Snapdragon skirts have been great too.

Seals tapered deck bags and mesh bag.

Warmer finger-less gloves tons of use just rinse after saltwater and they have lasted well and are comfortable.

Boat. Seriously. I’ve paddled quite a few other boats and have yet to find a boat that I like to paddle more than my Assateague.

Everything else is just for safety and convenience. Believe it or not, If I could do without the excess then I would.

I needed a wing paddle for my surfski but didn’t want to spend $400 so I picked up a new ZJ SPORT High Performance Lightweight Carbon Fiber Kayak Paddle With Gamma Blade And Carbon Round Shaft In Aluminum Adjustor for $150 on sale from Amazon. It’s a great high quality paddle that I couldn’t be more pleased with. It’s wonderful to get good deal.

The Kokatat paklight cags that fit over you and over the coaming. I have yet to find a season when it doesn’t come out to solve some problem that nothing else does as well. Pricey but absolutely worth it.

Bell Bucktail. Picked it up today. It’s in beautiful condition, too. :slight_smile:
Mark L.

I bought my Sterling Illusion 5 years ago and I am very pleased with that purchase. I have worked in the outdoor retail industry for 44 years and started kayaking about 40 years ago. I have always gotten boats for free or on a prodeal. Then I demoed the Sterling boats and paid full retail for the Illusion. Very happy I did.

Jon
Http://3meterswell.blogspot.com

Hey, that’s great to hear. On Monday, I’m heading out from Atlanta to Bellingham, in part, to pick up a Grand Illusion (and also to get married).>

@Chodups said:

I bought my Sterling Illusion 5 years ago and I am very pleased with that purchase. I have worked in the outdoor retail industry for 44 years and started kayaking about 40 years ago. I have always gotten boats for free or on a prodeal. Then I demoed the Sterling boats and paid full retail for the Illusion. Very happy I did.

Jon
Http://3meterswell.blogspot.com

@Monkeyhead said:
Hey, that’s great to hear. On Monday, I’m heading out from Atlanta to Bellingham, in part, to pick up a Grand Illusion (and also to get married).>

Two great reasons to visit the Pacific Northwest! The GI is a great boat and one of the most enjoyable pieces of gear you will ever own! Will you have time to paddle it while you are out here? Sterling is a super guy.

Jon
http://3meterswell.blogspot.com

@Celia said:
The Kokatat paklight cags that fit over you and over the coaming. I have yet to find a season when it doesn’t come out to solve some problem that nothing else does as well. Pricey but absolutely worth it.

next item on my GET list

Gear that I’m really happy with?

Boat: Sterling Grand Illusion. A nice upgrade from my P&H Scorpio. Handles beautifully, super light, looks sharp.

Clothes:

• Kokatat Meridian GMER. Now about 9 years old and still essential. Only disappointment is the DWR doesn’t last very long these days; have to reapply often.

• Kokatat Storm Cag. Handy way to warm up either on the water on on the land. Like a big warm tent.

• Glacier Gloves. Super warm even in spring water

• Snapdragon HyperHands Pogies. Warm and easy to use. Hands slip in and out easily

Paddles: Werner Cyprus. Light, durable and it just works

Tent: Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2. Old tent but much better than the new ones cuz I can zip a fabric panel over the mesh to keep breezes out entirely. Very versatile

Sleep gear:

• Exped sleeping pad

• Enlightened Equipment DownTek quilt

Stove: MSR WindPro. Reliable and easy to use. Canisters never spill fuel.

Orikaso dishes. Light, pack flat, make handy cutting boards, easy to clean.

KP

I expect to paddle around a bit in Wilapa Bay and Oakland Bay, and then head down to Oregon where I will paddle in the Columbia (Sauvie Island and Ranier area). I’ll be driving back home along the northern tier of states and have some trips planned in the Great Lakes that I’m really looking forward to.

@Chodups said:

@Monkeyhead said:

Two great reasons to visit the Pacific Northwest! The GI is a great boat and one of the most enjoyable pieces of gear you will ever own! Will you have time to paddle it while you are out here? Sterling is a super guy.

Jon
http://3meterswell.blogspot.com

Wow, so many cag enthusiasts. I’m curious if they affect your roll? I recently got a dry suit and I guess I hadn’t vented it sufficiently. I tried to roll and couldn’t get past halfway due to the extra buoyancy.

Two sides of the ‘cost’ spectrum:

another for the Sterling boats. I’ve got 3 of them (and have had to have them shipped from one corner of the US to the other WA-FL)
2)
Olive Clip (cleat) Available in UK, Aus., WHY NOT US??? (I ‘discovered’ in '93, have been using them for everything yak related (and then some) since then.
http://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/canopy-fittings/canopy-hooks/olive-clips/

That’s a nice looking cleat indeed. Definitely not going to snag you if you’re scooting around on the deck (e.g., during a cowboy scramble or other rescue technique). Thanks for the link.

@raisins said:
Two sides of the ‘cost’ spectrum:

another for the Sterling boats. I’ve got 3 of them (and have had to have them shipped from one corner of the US to the other WA-FL)
2)
Olive Clip (cleat) Available in UK, Aus., WHY NOT US??? (I ‘discovered’ in '93, have been using them for everything yak related (and then some) since then.
http://www.theboatwarehouse.com.au/canopy-fittings/canopy-hooks/olive-clips/

Three items that have exceeded, or far exceeded my expectations are my NC Expedition (sea kayak), NRS wet booties and Carlisle Expedition paddle. I would include Werner paddles, but I expected and have not been disappointed in them. That is not to say that I expected any less of the three items first mentioned, but they have been stunningly satisfying.

Quite a few. The most recent are shorter-than-standard Werner paddles I got two years ago. A Shuna and Cyprus in 200 cm, and a Sherpa in 185 cm. I had been downsizing in paddle lengths over the years, to the point that the 205 and 191 felt pretty good BUT not ideal. Then I noticed that Werner listed 200 cm in their sizing for Shuna and Cyprus, so I ordered them. Stores did not have them in stock, no surprise. But the cost was the same.

Eddyline Caribbean 14 kayak - fast for a SOT, loads of room for multi-day gear, stable, comfortable
Kokatat Super Nova semi-dry suit
Exped Sleeping pad & Wilderness Logic zero degree top quilt - the pad has made ground sleeping in comfort possible, and the fleece face patch on the top quilt is the bees knees.
MSR Windpro II stove - stable with great heat control. Makes dry baking possible. Nothing better than a mug of soup and a fresh baked biscuit.

What I wouldn’t go without?

Kokatat GoreTex Radius drysuit because it’s easy to get on/off and I can use the top as stand alone dry top. The Radius has extended my paddling season by months.

Forerunner 310XT. It’s nice to know how long and far I’ve paddled, speed, and heart rate. If HR is in the right zone, then I don’t feel guilty skipping the erg. Also handy for anaerobic intervals.

One recent item of convenience, not necessity, is my North Water underdeck bag (short version). Quick access to the little things like sunscreen, extra protein bars, etc. Stuff you don’t need to carry on you. Finally my decks are clear except for spare paddle and Forerunner.