what kayak to get?

Call this company, Holly knows
her stuff and has paddled pretty much every inflatable out there. Their top seller is AE kayaks by far. Good video on this too. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Advanced-Elements-AdvancedFrame-Inflatable-Kayak_W0QQitemZ140246030666QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140246030666&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

“Good” means?

– Last Updated: Jul-11-08 12:17 PM EST –

If "good" means fast enough to keep up with aggressive paddlers in narrower boats more tuned to flat water, the mixed use boats won't suffice. If it means able to play and work river features like people in playboats or more specifically designed WW boats, no. If it means a boat that will make skills work like rolling as easy as lazing around to fish, no.

But is that your goal, or for starters do you want to be able to get out on the water, stay relatively near shore and develop a sense of where you want to go from there? There are boats that will do that fine as long as you recognize their limits.

well…
i’ll tell you what i posed that i might get since the links aren’t working.

an AE Advanced Frame

Extrasport Ebb PFD

Carlisle Magic Plus Paddle

Advanced Elements Double Action Hand Pump

thats from REI…but how is the paddle that comes with the AE advanced frame package on outdoorplay.com? i like the carlisle magic paddle because its colorful tho and the one from outdoorplay is just white and black…

what
do you guys think?

Good paddle and pfd
But really, for the pfd especially, you might want to try one on. What might fit me well might not fit you well.

Have you looked on Craigslist?
A few old school whitewater boats with gear for under $300 in Seattle

do i have to get a PFD right away?
i wont be in any whitewater or rapids for like 3 weeks i’ll just be in flatwater…

i bought my kayak and paddle today!
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: im so excited! i got it! :slight_smile: i got the AE Adv. Frame kayak and a Aqua Bound Carbon Shaft paddle from REI today…its nice :slight_smile:

Check your local regulations
Some places require you have a PFD on board the vessel at all times.

You can always pickup a cheapy or borrow an old cruddy one while you’re on flatwater.

jim

oh
i do need to have one on board…

On board not a plan
in a paddleboat. On you.

that would be like having a helmet on
your bikes aerobars. Aint gonna do any good when you need it. I dont think you willl regret your desicion of an Advanced Element product.

Advanced Frame

– Last Updated: Jul-20-08 11:08 PM EST –

Of these 3 the Yukatat is the best boat for what you want to do with it. The Yukatat is basically exactly the same boat as the Advanced Elements Advanced Frame though, but the AE has a skeg where the Yukatat doesn't. Really helps with tracking. Plus the AE has better valves.

Oops! Saw you just bought one. Great choice. I was just out for three days in the Gulf Islands with a friend in an Advanced Frame. Great little boat!

Bic Yakka

– Last Updated: Jul-21-08 12:21 AM EST –

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1876

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ555_TTr6g