what kayak to get?

im going to buy a kayak in the next few days and have been doing some searching but is there a kayak to get that would be good for mild rivers, white water and flat water? or is that impossible to get all in one kayak?

The 3 im most interested in are:

1.Sevylor U233 Pointer K1

2.Sevylor River XK1

3.Stearns B523 Yukatat

Ive read that there mostly for whitewater and have bad tracking but wouldn’t all kayaks if you dont paddle correctly. is it that hard to paddle straight with these kayaks?

well…
"…is there a kayak to get that would be good for mild rivers, white water and flat water?"

The short answer: no

The longer answer: It depends on your standards for “good”. There are lots of boats that can be decent on flat water and get you through moderate whitewater – if you have the skills – but the characteristics that make a kayak fast and efficient on flat water are pretty much the opposite of those that make a kayak playful and maneuverable in whitewater.

Is there a reason you are going
inflatable?

Inflatables have their uses, but you can find better hardshell boats for whitewater and better ones for flat open water.

And this general rule applies: any boat that claims to be suitable for both flatwater and whitewater is going to be a serious compromise in performance in both.

My advice is to decide what kind of water you are likely to do most of your paddling in in the near future. Get a good boat for that kind of water. Down the road, a year or two, you can buy a different boat for the other kind of water, if you decide you’d like to broaden your horizons.

there is no perfect boat
some boats are very versitle, but while it can handle many different conditions, it doesnt handle each one real great, whereas a real limited boat that is not versitle at all will greatly excell in the one area is suited for.

Sure there is a perfect boat.
It’s the one under one’s butt at any particular time it’s also separating one from the water underneath it.

;~)

YoS

well…
i’d be mostly using it in flat water and mild rapids. what hard shell and inflatable kayaks do you reccommend? and my max i can spend is $350. would any of the 3 i mentioned, work for these conditions?

inflatables…
are cheaper and easier to travel with and carry around too. :slight_smile:

?
?

Jason, of the three you posted,
the Stearns is the better of the bunch. The quality of the Sevylor’s is decent but they won’t take much abuse. My choice for an inflatable is Advanced Elements. You can pick up their AdvanceFrame 10.5’ in the range of $300.-$350. from dealers with careful shopping. Excellent quality backed by an fine company should you have a problem. That said, check out Craigslist as I frequently see hard kayaks at some very decent prices (assuming you are not limited to inflatables). Good luck.

really?
what makes sterns better quality? well would that AE kayak be better for flatwater and mild rivers?

You need to see and feel the
materials used to appreciate the difference between Stearns and Sevylor. The K1 is little more than a pool toy in my opinion…too lightweight of material. At least Stearns uses decent, heavier material. After that, check out the AE kayaks and the build/quality difference is readily apparent. I have their 15’Expedition and daughter mostly uses the 10.5’ AdvanceFrame. Both track well, have excellent stability, are very durable (have been hung up on rocks and I weigh 215…just scuff marks), easy to paddle, but slower than a hard kayak…sit on or sit in. Portability? Can’t beat it…take it anywhere. AE also uses heavy duty, military style valves. Dealers love this company as they stand behind any problems.

You’ll need more than that
If you forgo a decent paddle and a well-fitting PFD, you will regret it. Add at least $150 to your budget.

oh ok…
well thanks i will look into the AE. what are some hard shell’s that you guys recommend for flatwater and mild rivers? is the speed difference in hard shells vs. inflat that big?

do…
you have any paddles that you recommend?

those of you that have an AE Adv. Frame
do you think it gets alot of water in it when going over mild ocean waves or class 1 rapids? i know its not designed for whitewater but have read some reviews of ppl that have used it in the ocean and over class 1 rapids and they said that it got quite a bit of water in the kayak, regardless of not having a bailer. has anybody else experience that with this boat?

?
?

those of you that have an AE Adv. Frame
do you think it gets alot of water in it when going over mild ocean waves or class 1 rapids? i know its not designed for whitewater but have read some reviews of ppl that have used it in the ocean and over class 1 rapids and they said that it got quite a bit of water in the kayak, regardless of not having a bailer. has anybody else experience that with this boat?

I have been down some genuine Class II
rivers and if you get caught up in busy or mad water, yes you can get some water if leaning on it’s side. However, in the 10.5 AFrame, I’m pushing the weight limit some with my 215lbs as it sits lower in the water than my daughter who is in the 125 range. If you anticipate a fair amount of white water paddling, get their StraitEdge single or tandem as they have scupper holes and are self bailing. What you give up in paddling speed and tracking with these will be made up with stability and being able to handle the foamy stuff.

heres what im planning on getting…
http://www.rei.com/product/767514—PFD

http://www.rei.com/product/767535—paddle

http://www.rei.com/product/750495–pump

and an AE Advanced Frame kayak…

what do you guys think of it all? and especially the paddle?

check "outdoorplay"
first. Couldn’t see what you were looking at, as a message came up that product may be out of stock or ??. I have found “outdoorplay.com” to have better prices in general, an inexpensive lifetime membership for good discounts, and fantastic service. My sister gives me a rei gift card every christmas, and one of these years I’m going to discretely try to get it changed to outdoorplay.