What Kind?

I have been thinking about buying a kayak, but what I want is some input on this . It would be paddled on inland lakes ,no more than a overnight trip and the other problem I see most of the kayaks I see are for small skinny people , I’m 5.10 and 240lbs . Would like any thoughts and ideas on a kayak that would work for me…

Rotomolded recreational kayak

– Last Updated: Feb-05-06 5:12 PM EST –

12-14 foot length. 24-26 inch beam.

Bigger rec/rec-touring kayak
I’d suggest a bigger(12-14 ft) recreational or rec-touring kayak, as opposed to a really stubby 9-11 footers that are just way slow and ineficient.

something like a Wilderness Systems Pungo140(recreational) or Tsunami 145(rec-touring). or something similar from other brands-Dagger,Perception,Necky

plenty of options
I’d suggest looking at something in the 17’ range. I’m almost exactly the same size as you are, and there aren’t that many boats that size that don’t fit me just fine.

Prion Kodiak - buy used if you can
Good for camping, good for heavy paddlers, fast boat, will handle rough waters if you want to do seakayaking or Great Lakes.

For inland lakes
with mostly day tripping and occassional overnight, a 17 footer is going to be a PITA to cartop if it is a rotomolded. If you have the money for fiberglass or kevlar, that’s another matter. But if you’re going to paddle a lot of shallow slow moving rivers, rotomold is better.

As a first boat, to see if you like it, I’d go with something reasonable easy to transport. 12-14 foot.

17 foot
just my 2 cents:

I went directly to a 17 foot tempest rm. (plastic and 58 lbs) and have never regretted it. Plenty of room for camping, extrememly well behaved and excellent in conditions. I personally feel that I hit the right boat for the most situations at the get go without going through some of the pain of changing boats until you find the “right one” I keep reading about here. I do not agree that a 14 foot boat is significantly easier to cartop. A couple of extra pounda compared to more options overall is a no brainer for me.

Course I have also gotten an ocean scupper pro for my wife, a 19 foot skin on frame that I squeeze into when I feel like walrus hunting or seal stalking, and am looking to build a wood s and g (night heron is on the top of the list right now)

good luck.

Paul

Doesn’t Tsunami Chuck Have One For Sale?
I know he picked up some kinf of Prijon lately

my thinking
Yeah, I can see where you are coming from. I just thought he might like something a bit more efficient. I started with a 14’ rec kayak. It was great fun, but once I started wanting to paddle more than three or four miles, I wanted something that was a bit easier to move through the water. I can see your point, though.

Already sold

Tarpon 160

– Last Updated: Feb-06-06 9:35 PM EST –

Check out a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160. It's a sit-on-top 16 footer. It's spacious, stable and perfect for longer distances. I use mine constantly. I've had it for about 2 years. I work in a kayak shop and have access to alot of kayaks and I am really impressed with this model. I'm 5'11 and 200 with plenty of room to spare. Comfort A+. It blows alot of sit-ins away with speed and comfort. Awsome for diving or fishing. I wouldn't go under 14 ft. This model is easy to manouver and getting it around is no problem.They have some reviews of it on this site check em out!
happy paddling!

http://www.atlanticcoastkayak.com

All comes down to how you use it

– Last Updated: Feb-06-06 10:15 PM EST –

For a quick afternoon fitness paddle after work, I still find myself tossing my 12.5 foot Walden Vista on the rack and heading out. Easy to load and unload solo, gets me on the water quickly, and is reasonably efficient. Not a great choice for an overnight camping trip, though, unless you are going very primitive. It's also often my first choice for shallow slow moving rivers.

Mainstream Patriot
This is my kayak and it is supposed to hold 400lbs. I weigh about 230 and I love it. Also the cockpit is extra large 56X22 and very easy to get in and out of. Very stable just under 12ft long.

6’ 6" somewhere between 225 and 260
I paddle a plastic Perception Captiva now called a Carolina 16.

You should pay attention to what those people are paddling that are your height and weight. At my height a kayak will handle much differently for me than it will for someone at your height. Center of gravity and center of buoyancy come into play.

The typical response from this board for big folks is to go to Wes Boyd’s site. This is all well and good but still doesn’t answer your question.

Good luck and happy paddling,

Cliffjrs

Look at the Old Town Adventure XL-139
The Old Town Adventure XL-139 is a great recreational kayak, that is good for a beginner to intermediate paddler. I started kayaking in one, and my wife took it over the next summer as I moved to a composite kayak.

It is 13’-9" long, by 28" wide. The initial stability is great, and the seat is very comfortable. It also has front and rear bulkheads and water tight hatches. These are great for dry storage, and for flotation should you decide to “go swimming”.

It is a recreational kayak, with Sea Kayak styleing. My XL-139 didn’t have a rudder, and I never felt I needed one. This is a personal choice for each paddler.

If you get a chance to test paddle one of these, please do. I think you will find it a fun kayak to paddle, which will easily accomodate your height and weight.

Good Luck in your search!

here:

– Last Updated: Feb-08-06 6:48 PM EST –

Acadia 13

http://www.backcountry.com/store/PER0047/Perception-Acadia-13-Kayak.html?id=EIeCy9EX