What knots do you tie?

I got a Boy Scouts Manual on E-Bay

Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots
I was given this a couple of Christmasesago, and it is a beautiful book. Not just on “how to” but on history as well. I give it two thumbs up!

Jim

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Encyclopedia-Knots-Ropework/dp/1859679110/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_3_img/102-0554953-9539317

I forgot this one
This is very useful for joining pieces of rope together that may or may not be the same type of rope or diameter. The Overhand Bend. http://www.swcp.com/csar/knots/knots2.shtml

Bowline Warning!
There are 2 types of bowlines. There is a left hand and a right hand and no this is not like a left handed wrench. If your bowline tightens up under load so you can’t get it out, it is a left handed one. If you can always get yours out even when it has been under a large load it is a right handed one. The place I have found where this makes the most difference is on sail boats. Attaching jib sheets to jibs, specifically. You loose about 12" of line everytime you have to cut one off and replacing jib sheets because too much has been cut off never makes the owner happy. People have lost jobs on racing boats because of poorly tied knots. When new people came on the boat we always check to see what bowline they were tying. Left handed ones are also refered to as “bummer bowlines”. Just a word of warning.

lots
more than two kinds of Bowlines…

locking bowline , spanish bowline , bowline on a bite, double or french bowline…etc etc

all have use

good knots to know

Best Wishes

Roy

Also…

– Last Updated: Dec-21-06 12:17 PM EST –

Also the bowline on a coil.

Several of my favorites:

bowline
water knot
double fisherman's
trucker's hitch
taut line hitch
overhand on a bight
figure 8 on a bight
butterfly
prusik

BOB

i’m no expert
i have survived many years of sailing and rope use with a square knot, half hitches, clove hitch, and bowline. a good knot is 1. reliable 2. able to be untied. (if your bowline can’t be untied its …what…not a bowline?

“Slippery” knots
As advocated by Clif Jacobson. Slippery sheet bends, slippery half-hitches, slippery tautline/rolling hitches, slippery bowlines.

All are easy to untie after the winds of Erie in October assault your 15x15 Cookes during the night.

Jim

Don’t know knots? Then tie lots of them.
Don’t know how to ties knots? Then tie lots of them.

We use this saying in the marine business all the time.

While this is a joke, I’ve found it has merit when tying bungee cord. Actually the bowline works well for bungee while most other knots will slip.

Never knew that
I learned the bowline as taught years ago in Boy Scouts, which is the same knot as illustrated in the few places I’ve ever checked, and I don’t ever look at those diagrams because I “already know” how to tie one.

Anyway, I must have learned, and still be tying, the right-handed bowline, because no matter how much load you put on this knot, it’s a snap to get it untied. Never knew there was another acceptable method, or is the left-handed bowline not truely “correct”?

Tying lots of knots

– Last Updated: Dec-21-06 2:26 PM EST –

Good advice. I grew up in a family where knowing how to tie good knots was expected just as much as knowing how to do any other everyday task. Any time I ever saw my dad tying stuff on a trailer, on the roof of the car, setting up portable ham-radio antennas or anything like that, he was tying "good" knots, but as I grew up, I learned much to my surprise that knowing how to use rope properly is a very rare skill indeed. I figure that if you can't tie a knot in the dark without giving it a thought, you really aren't too familiar with that knot. Practice practice practice, and the best way to do that is to make proper use of knots in the first place, rather than resorting to make-due "knots" or substitute methods like nylon straps and buckles. Rope is wonderful and amazing stuff if you are familiar with it, but it's a nightmare to make it work for you if you aren't.

knots
Most of the kayaking “how to” books feature a section on good knots for kayaking. Most maritime books will drown you in knots, too. Some are same as landlubber knots, just a different name. There are good websites that take one through the knot-tying process. My favorite, all utility knot list is:

1 - square knot, simple, general tie off knot

2 - clove hitch, the lashing knot, equal tension when pulled from both directions.

3 - tautline hitch - great for tension on tent guys and similar where tension needs to maintained but regulated

4 - timber hitch - a basic “hitch” that secures a line temporarily, also as in use for lashing.

5 - sheetbend - tying lines (ropes) of two different diameters together.

6- trucker’s hitch. used by many to secure kayaks to anything. Remember, NEVER use bungi cords to tie down your boats!!!

7- Bowline…the number one rescue knot…LEARN IT.

8- dang, I know there are more…The figure-eight is good to close off the end of the rope with a simple knot to keep it from fraying.

4 I like
two round turns and two half hitches

bow line

Trukers hitch

rolling hitch

what you learn
is what you will use. I love knots. My Girlfriend got me a new knot book for Christmas (she isn’t good at secrets), I keep rope next to the computer for threads like this, when I find new knots to learn, or practice.

I use a square knot or a clove hitch for nearly everything. I practice a one-handed bowline and i practice it with my eyes closed. I probably tie a monkey fist once a week. when it comes down to it, I tie my boats off with a, well let’s be generous and call it a trucker’s hitch. My painter is tied with a clove hitch. My spare paddle is a slippery square (tie your shoes with two bunny ears, not a tree)

I guess that isn’t too helpful, but really just buy a book and new length of line. Practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice then ask someone what knots they like and start over.

Liveoutside

Handy dandy cards
I picked up a set of 6, durable plastic cards from an EMS store made by PRO-KNOT, written by John E. Sherry, with a different knot on each side. There are six the size of a credit cart and fastened with a brass eyelet on one corner.

I’ve attacheded an 18" piece of 1/16" black elastic bungie to its corner and remove it when I want to sit and try to make some knots. Usually when I get bored sitting around the campfire.

It’s a very handy ‘dodad’ and small enough to carry in a wallet or pocket. I believe the cost was less than $5. They have a website at www.proknot.com.

Rolling Half Hitch
Haven’t seen it mentioned here yet. It’s more for sailors, but is useful for tying off the ends of your fore and aft tiedowns then follow with a hitch. This allows your to tighten up the slack of the free end and secure so it doesn’t frap and fray. Could also be useful for adjustable tying of tow ropes that will be under some tension together. Otherwise, the Bowline does most other kayaking jobs. Sometimes two half hitches or a clove hitch, but I never can tie it right.

Usage
I find that a good bowline chafes the wrists and ankles far less than a slip knot.

Phreon

Whatever…

– Last Updated: Dec-22-06 1:50 PM EST –

Whatever knots you use; you should learn how to "dress" them. If you don't know what that means; you need to make an effort to find out.
Especially if they are knots you would be using in a rescue situation.

By the way; have you learned how to rig a z-drag haul system yet? When is the last time you practiced with your throw bag?
Never needed them & never gonna eh?

BOB

Trucker’s Hitch
Here’s a link no one’s posted yet:

http://www.netknots.com/html/paddling_knots.html

Girlfriend with a capital G?
Sounds serious to me!