what makes a canoe stable? and...

what makes a canoe stable?
The paddler.

nope
its an unlimited budget to satisfy our fetish!

But you are right…I have fallen out of the boat many times and the boat is upright, laughs at me and leaves with me swimming after it.

No, I’m sticking with what I said.
As mentioned, facts and I have only a passing familiarity.

I do think you might want to consider just rowing that Disco, especially if it’s a 174.

• Big D

To some extent, but…
The boat design, fit and outfitting make a big difference, too. Think Barracuda and Capri. Canoes are the same way. Of course, you already knew that.

disco 174
i have a disco 174, and it is a great canoe when there are 2-3 people in in, 2 paddling. but i need a boat i am going to use in windy weather, solo most of the time, and it is just to hard to control in the wind, and is more weight than i like to car top by myself. i said i can do it just to give you an idea of what i can handle on my own, but if i can go shorter, and maybe lighter, i would love to. i like the stability of this boat, i can stand and fish from it in calm weather, but like i said, its just too much for me by myself.

How you are thinking
In talking about canoe or kayak above, you say “i am think(ing) the higher sides of the canoe would be much safer and conve(n)ient,”. I can see it being more convenient to have a canoe to hold hunting gear than working with the spaces in a SOT, but I am not sure what you mean by safer. The basic hull design at and under the water line, and the paddler skills, are what make a paddle boat safe or not. The part above the water is just windage.

You keep repeating concerns about stability. Is there a reason that you need to start hunting from a boat in the winter rather than waiting for spring and maybe more benevolent conditions?

There is a Mad River Malecite for sale
… here in the pnet classifieds. For what you want, I think it is a fantastic boat. It is does extremely well in waves, it is relatively oblivious to wind (for its size), is very stable and very forgiving. Given your 6’4" stature, you could solo a Malecite from the center with no problem shatsoever. There is simply no way you could go wrong with a Malecite.

A couple options
Add a rowing station.

Go with an Old Town Camper or Guide.

Tons of other options available, too. Shoot, there’s an inexpensive solo canoe sold at Dick’s but made by Old Town called a Kaynoe. I think it uses the Discovery 119 molds. It’s only about $400 on sale and would likely do what you need. You’re not going to want to get out in the open Bay with it, but if you stay in-shore or around the salt marshes like you said it ought to do fine.

You could also consider something like an ODC 1220 and rig on a trolling motor. It would be pushed around by the wind, but with a trolling motor for getting underway and an anchor for when you’re at rest, it’d be fine. It’s a higher seat, you can stand readily, it’s a tandem but can be rigged for solo use, they come equipped to take a trolling motor and battery, and you ought to be able to find them used for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of new.

• Big D

Fall and winter is hunting season
Also, it’s when the ducks are there to shoot.

• Big D

OK - so that was dumb but
Shoulda thought of that. The Bambis are showing up near the muck pile our back of a local barn I am working at once a week. Sure sign that the hunters are driving them out of the woods.

That said - I am still thinking that starting paddling might be better in the spring than in the winter with hunting gear to handle as well.

Sure but before one determines its
the boats fault, we should look at the paddler.

Its usually cheaper to correct the problem that way.

thanks celia
yes, i am definately waiting for the spring to buy whatever i boat i choose, so i can paddle all summer and take it out in warm water so i wont be afraid to get wet, then after a summer of practice, i hope to be ready for the winter duck season. i am asking questions now so i can figure out how much the boat i need costs, so i can then rob my college fund…(dont tell).

stable canoe
aggree with the guy whi said it is the paddler

It’s the padder … but
When you’re fishing, the paddler isn’t always “a paddler.” When the water is getting a little rough and there are big fish out there, being in something with some stability is welcome.

The Malecite,
as Clarion said, would be a fine choice if it’s in your budget.

For stability in duck hunting, you want at least a 30 inch width at waterline, in my opinion. Your height and load means at least a 16 foot boat, again in my opinion – there are super good paddlers here who can handle less width and length, but I think you’re taking a big chance swinging on and shooting ducks from anything narrower. For sure, whatever you get, you need to go out and do some practice shots off to the left and right, to get an idea of how the recoil will rock the boat. Do this in a shallow place!

For the marshes, windy but not much waves, the exposed surface area on the sides will catch wind – so, the fewer square inches exposed, the better.

These are the reasons I like Clarion’s suggestion, or any craft of similar size & shape.

LOL
While I can paddle I sure do not know how to shoot!

I think if I were to try that standing in a boat, I would like a five foot wide canoe…for ample room for the fall

Only in action movies…
… does recoil occur with enough force and for a long enough duration to rock the boat. The shooter never even notices recoil when shooting birds, though I suppose something like a 10-gauge whops you hard enough that you could lose your poise and THEN do something to endanger your balance, but it wouldn’t be the recoil itself causing the problem.

In terms of shooting from a boat, it’s your swing you want to think about, and even that’s a piece of cake if you are kneeling (it also provides about four times as much swing angle as you get when sitting).

Yes, there’s the sitting
versus the kneeling issue. I don’t know how long a hunter can kneel quietly in a cold blind without moving much, until his knees literally freeze.

recoil
recoil is the least of my worries. bending down to get a bottle a water will have more effect on the boats stability than the recoil of a 12. even heavy 3-3.5 duck loads dont have an effect.

How are going to shoot a duck …

– Last Updated: Nov-22-08 6:00 PM EST –

...... from a canoe or kayak ??

Won't they see you first and stay out of range ??

Would you consider a small Jon boat ??

You could set up a makeshift camo cover (they are even sold already made just for that purpose) and tuck into weed/reed lines . The Jon will give you the stability and performance you need for that that type activity .

I'd love to see you crack one off with a 12 gauge 3.5" from a yak or canoe , would be interesting to see how it works out .

Use the canoe or yak for other things , like paddling (and fishing sometimes if you fish) .

I think I know where you can get a Jon boat .