What Muscles Do You Use Kayaking?

Take vitamin B12 everyday
You can avoid surgery. This was an advice from an ergonomic instructor. It works for many people including me.

perhaps
…then I think I need to get a bigger straw…

yes, the
Big Johnson’s used the most, little Johnson used least. Applies to most everything, not just paddling.

Muscles
With good technique, you should be using mostly your core muscles.

If you were not sore after 4 miles, that is not a very good prediction about how you would feel after 14 or 24 miles. After my first long day kayaking, I knew what it was like to be sore. This led to learning better technique.

hey wait juust a minute…
…you mean I’m also supposed to have a big johnson?

Who’s Right/Pain or No Pain?
jimyaker, it seems I am doing the opposite of what you mentioned, so I guess I’m doing good.

CD1, I’ll have to google those muscles!

*So far I have one person who says no pain, you’re doing it wrong and one for yes, no pain and you are doing it right. Actually, it seems like a typo by PhilS and it still doesn’t make sense if it is. If you feel okay after 4 miles, I would think that would bring you closer to doing 14 miles??? When I said I did 4 miles, I didn’t think it was far, but more stating it was my first trip, possibly using muscles I don’t ordinarily use or just more so and I didn’t feel sore. PhilS, maybe I’m just a superior althlete:)

-Capri

don’t you want to see the x ray first?

Seriously… 4 miles…
is nothing… That’s like saying “I ran for 50 yards, and didn’t get sore!! I am a superior athlete!!!”

If you were sore after 4 miles, you’d be either doing something VERY wrong, or in pretty bad physical shape. (or have another condition)

Try paddling for at least 15-20 miles to feel what muscles are being used. (or against wind, waves, etc)

If you’re using proper technique, you should feel it in your torso/back, and MUCH less in your arms. It may feel “achy, but Good…”. Not like you hurt yourself. That’s “bad technique”…

My longest nonstop paddle
My longest nonstop paddle was 10 miles in 10 hours. I’ll never forget it. It is more about the hours than the miles. In calm conditions I’m guessing that you did about 4 miles in an hour or less. if you want to toughen you muscles next time, try paddling 3 hours and see how you do.

10 miles in 10 hours? Are you serious?
“My longest nonstop paddle was 10 miles in 10 hours. I’ll never forget it. It is more about the hours than the miles. In calm conditions I’m guessing that you did about 4 miles in an hour or less.”

What were the conditions? Gale winds and 10’ swells? :slight_smile:

I think 4 miles in an hour (or less as you say) is a far better cardio/aerobic/muscular workout than 10 miles in 10 hours… that pretty anaerobic…

agreed…
i think i did four miles my first time paddling.

the only reason i knew i had been on the water was because the memories were so incredible!

Controversial, yet mostly true…
The OP wrote:

“I am wondering what muscles, muscle group or part of your body is mostly used when kayaking?”

Unfortunately, when I look at the folks in our local paddling club (this is Sea Kayaking), I suspect that no muscles are used, and no calories are burned…

The majority of them (and they paddle frequently) are so obese and appear so out of shape, that I don’t think paddling (the way they do it) is of any physical benefit al all. No muscle groups developed, no calories burned… at least nothing of any visible significance.

Sea Kayakers as a whole I think, are grossly out of shape and overweight. Paddling simply allows to much time to sit there and do nothing…

It’s better than eating donuts while watching TV, but not by much…

That’s a very sweeping statement.
“Sea Kayakers as a whole I think, are grossly out of shape and overweight.”

Wrong…

– Last Updated: Mar-04-08 10:12 AM EST –

"Sea Kayakers as a whole I think, are grossly out of shape and overweight." is not very sweeping... (Note the use of "as a whole", and "I think")

"ALL Sea Kayakers are grossly out of shape and overweight." is very sweeping...

Get it right... ;-)

You’d do better to give up thinking then
If you can twist it around in your “mind” in that fashion.

I took it that way also
…so I think in this case your phrasing is what needs getting right.

Regardless, I would have to disagree, but then I’m just speaking from my own regional experiences. The sea kayakers I know are a bit more fit than the general population and most seem to enjoy outdoor pursuits other than kayaking (running, cycling, ihking, etc.).

Sea Kayakers out West…
That I have seen paddling are generally overweight (bordering on obese).

This is a true statement. A “fact” if you will… Quit taking it so personally…

If you’re not fat, fine.

If you are, try dieting and a beter exercise routine, one that burns more calories, and has better aerobic benefits.

Still a sweeping statement.

– Last Updated: Mar-04-08 11:20 AM EST –

You should become a journalist, they build "facts" out of random observations in one area.

I didn’t take it personally

– Last Updated: Mar-04-08 1:35 PM EST –

This is the first time I responded to you on this subject, and I provided my opinion. Which is as factual as yours. I can accept there are regional differences (actually I thought I did so).

I'm sorry you're all fat out there. We're not. Don't YOU take it personally.

And I don't need a fatass PNW sea kayaker giving me exercise tips. OK? Don't take that personally either.

Funny…

– Last Updated: Mar-04-08 11:55 PM EST –

Thanks!! ;-)

I guess opinions and observations aren't welcome on this board...

I'll stick to "Which Drytop is best?" type posts.

Just like the libs... they're all about freedom of speech, until it's something they don't like... then it's racism, etc...