What pushes you most to new limits

Boredom with status quo
That pushes me to try new things. But as JackL said, getting caught in out-of-comfort-zone situations is a darned good teacher also. At least it is if it’s not TOO out of range!

What JackL Said
When you unintentionally get tested. Weather didn’t do quite what was predicted. Current was much stronger than last time.

My bastard “friends” test me all the time. By God, if HE can do that I can too.

Underestimating BIG SURF
Getting caught inside when that OMFG rogue/set wave of the year comes rolling in with your name on it.

Currently out of action because of a little forced swim adventure. Ever manage to hang onto your paddle but your boat disappears in the fray?

Rolling in 40 degrees with Xcite
So these posts stirred me up. So took me new kayak and:

OK, so I first rolled in 40 degree Hudson River, yeawoh!!! Good thing drysuit, 5 mm hood and mask! First roll this season, NO NO NO problem.

Most of us in our pod, one in particular love to compare how a zillion boats roll, Wetzol by handle.

I rate this boat up there with the Nordkapp LV, my Outer Island, and other lower volume boats Brit boats.

It has a harder chine, not a hard chine and I can feel it as I roll, but

PURE BUTTER I SAY. Totally smooth. And as the boat has excellent primary and secondary stability it doesn’t feel like falling off a cliff heading into the water nor does it feel like it will window shade either

I then took it up near Lock 6 where there is a dam, with some class 2 rapids and eddies and fairly heavy current and rolled in that mess. The boat is just so responsive I could roll up against or with or at 90 degrees to current. Purely great.

Then I quit while I was still intact in the freezing water.

lobster boats throw up very large
wakes. Unlike jet skis etc they have displacement hulls, which combined with a powerful engine, can throw up a 3+ foot wake easily

Bad judgement!

– Last Updated: Apr-21-09 8:52 PM EST –

i.e.: stupidity; the great educator.

not sure what is meant

– Last Updated: Apr-22-09 11:40 AM EST –

ok! got it!!!!

I call that the "cutting board."
Too far to run over, too far to run away. KABOOM! I’ve benn scythed like spring grass too many times to count.

Dogmaticus

Nate, can I quote you?
your reference to Steve Maynard’s comment is terrific.

I would like to use it in the QSKC (http://www.qldseakayak.canoe.org.au/) Newsletter.

The Everglades
Obviously the will that pushes every one of us out to the water is very different. Even personally, what excites me now is not the same that captivated me four years ago when I was just learning about this intriguing sport. My last total excitement adventure was to paddle for 9 hours in the Everglades National Park (Florida). After eight hours of arduous paddling it became completely dark. I was paddling narrow rivers only guided by the silhouettes of the trees in the water. In one of the river bends an animal got scared and jumped into the water making a tremendous splash (I assume it was an alligator because of the huge noise of the splash). The alligator was so close that I felt the animal hitting the bottom of my kayak. At this point I was eagerly looking for a place to stay. I was one hour away from my planned destination. In the dark it was hard to find the markers that have been guiding me to one of the chickies (Indian name for wooden platforms built over the water for campers) where I had made reservations with the Park Ranger to spend the night. Looking at the navigation chart I checked my compass bearing in order to guess the direction of where the navigation markers might be located. There are so many islands in the everglades that you never know if the marker could be hidden just feet away from you behind the trees. Fortunately they have made the markers out of a reflective material. Searching for these navigation posts with my flash light, pointing the beam of light at different directions, giving a true meaning to the word search light; I found another chicky instead of the signal to the “Lost Man River”. I did not have a permit to camp in this chikie; the Ranger told me it was booked. When I arrived to the small Plate Creek Chicky, no one was there. I was so tired of paddling that I decided to camp at the risk of being thrown away in the middle of the night by the boaters who held the reservation for this camp site. I climbed the wooden chikie platform that stands about 4 feet above the water, and set my solo tent hopping for the best. It was almost the start of winter, the night was cool, and only a few mosquitoes could be heard near my lantern. No one came to claim this spot that night, only the everglade creatures wondered around my camp site checking this wired visitor from a different world.

He’s Responding to Original Post

Great recap !
As I read it, I was with you all the way.

In the past we have several times shared our pre reserved chickee with paddlers who have either run out of time or lost their way.

A few years ago we paddled up to the Hells Bay chickee, and there was a group who spent the night there, but couldn’t go on because they had lost their chart the previous day.

They were on their first night of a multi day trip, and were really bummed, since they couldn’t continue and asked us if they could follow us back.

We knew our way, so my wife gave them our $18 chart and we immediately had made new friends for life.

As we parted, the looks of happiness on their faces was worth way more then the chart.

Cheers,

JackL

Ego
Not one of you mentioned “EGO”? Come on…

Ok, it applied only to the guys, but I’m not afraid to admit it.

Bill G.

Mt. Pleasant, SC

In my immediate area we don’t get much
swell, but we get a ton of chop and clapoitis. Last Sunday was a chop day with winds from the ENE at 20-25mph. I could have taken my Aquanaut LV RM and had my woobie and bankie, but I chose to take the Nordkapp instead because I knew it would be a bigger challenge in terms of stability. I got knocked down twice and braced over a hundred times in two hours. I improved my skills by challenging myself with a boat less comfortable for the conditions. On the knockdown, the water was so kicked up I almost could not see light and the air in my dry suit was canting me opposite from the side I was set up on. I almost thought about popping the skirt when the little voice said ah ah ah don’t you even think of it. I settled down, wiggled my hips to flatten out the boat and came up. Finding calm and patience in cold (30’s) dirty water reinforced my skill level. All of this was a consequence of the boat I chose to challenge myself with. Bill

p.s. The three ladies I was paddling with all had Eddyline Nighthawk 16’s and appeared as though they were on a Sunday paddle (very stable). I guess we were on a Sunday paddle, but you get my drift.

Modest Proposal
If pushing limits is a goal, may I suggest leaving the mask and 5mm hood at home. After all, I suspect you don’t routinely paddle wearing either and you might as well learn to be upside down without either even in 40 degree water. It is amazing how well thin fuzzy rubber or something similar will work. Getting accustomed to the feel of cold water and rolling year round/every paddle is not a bad idea if you are out to push limits.

A great boat
I always found the Nighthawk 16 to be a great boat in confused stuff…or any rough stuff actually…and not because it was stable as in Explorer stable. It actually does not have lots of primary stability and will rotate 180 easily, but it is a very well behaved and responsive boat.

True
True. However I was solo so erred on side of caution new boat first rolling of season. Otherwise exactly what I would have done. I find that like u say u must learn to deal with new sensations.

Kudzu is correct
I was responding to the original post. I have not been very diligent about monitoring the site lately and was a little late getting my oar in the water on this one.

What I was thinking, when I posted, was that most of the times I have been challenged to rise above my current skill level were when I did something that I would not have done had I reflected on it a little longer before doing it.

helped me thanks
thanks for the posts. learned some new perspectives that renewed my basic sense of the need to challenge ourselves each day. I remember a mentor telling me that the day I stop learning new things is the day I stop being involved in what I am doing. I thought it too severe at the time.

Big danger as one gets to be intermediate-advanced paddler is to get complacent. Thanks, ready to open up some new doors.

Large tugs too NM