What’s up with Lendal paddles?

My computer won’t even open the Lendal website, says it’s infected with a virus. Their phone number is 1-585-270-5282. The email address at their Facebook page is sales@lendalna.com

I noticed a similar thing with the Cadence paddle (straight shaft) that I had. It didn’t bother me too much, but I didn’t really like the paddle at all, not really for any reasons that I could pinpoint. I sold it recently, used the proceeds towards a 4 piece Werner Cyprus that I can take when traveling. My go to paddles are a bent shaft Cyprus (205 cm) and a bent shaft Athena (210 cm custom length).

Most wing paddles will rotate when not being held, so it isn’t unique to the Cadence.

Which H20 do you have, Celia?

roym
I’m a bit confused myself. I’m sure Lendal has designed the paddle for their market segment, and I don’t actually think there’s something wrong with the paddle. I’m just not seeing what’s making it behave this way. As to playing with it for a while, I’ve had it over a year now and it still behaves the same way. I’ve assumed the problem lies in the way I grip the shaft, but again, I’m not a beginner and have to believe I know how to grip a paddle shaft. I hate to make calls to companies; it’s a pain for me and them, but I’m guessing it’ll come to that.

Thanks WaterBird;

I don’t get the virus warning but just don’t have access to that resource. ?? Go figure.

I did speak to Lendal, who tells me that should not be happening. They’re suspecting an issue with the shaft.

I do use a GP at times. I do like them. Just tend to switch around every now and then.

1 Like

It is the one I got for whitewater, haven’t been there in a few years. But I think I had the blue blade - it is in the basement.

Perhaps the problem is with the bent-shaft itself. Along the length of a bent shaft paddle, the weight of the shaft itself is not balanced evenly between the power face and back face. If you hold a bent shaft lightly and horizontally in front of you, you’ll probably see that the paddle rolls either power face up or power face down. If you move your hands outward towards the blades, you may see that the condition reverses and the other face is now upwards.

Try that experiment and see what happens. If you see that rolling action, and I think you will, then that’s probably heart of your problem. Aquabound’s and Werner’s paddles do that, but I think they tend to roll power face down when held nearer the center of the shaft, and power face up when the hands are moved nearer the blades. Your Lendal may be doing just the opposite.

Because the weight is imbalanced along the shaft, they rotate one way or the other and the paddler must do something to counteract this rotational force. I had the same problem with my Aquabond whiskey carbon and corrected it by doing several things.

The little experiment with the hands is a clue to the solution, so experiment with the position of your hands along the shaft. Moving them further out maybe just do the trick. I’m not enslaved to keeping my hands where the manufacturer thinks I should have them. Moving them to a different position may offset or eliminate the rotational force and may do some other good things for your wrists and hands as well.

Also, during the recovery phase be sure to have all four fingers lightly wrapped around the shaft. That may provide just enough friction to counteract the shafts rotational force. Remember, you’re still holding the shaft lightly, but all four fingers are in contact with the shaft.

Also, study the way you’re bringing your arm up during the recovery phase. Changing the angles at the shoulder, elbow, or wrist could introduce a slight rotational force, counteracting that of the bent shaft. These are very subtle changes, but the paddlers box is very complex, and even more so with a bent shaft. These changes can add up and provide just the counter rotation needed to solve the problem. I experimented with this and it did seem to help, and it also improve my technique, a bit.

Finally consider adjusting the paddle feathering. This is probably the least desirable alternative. Feathering should be done for reasons other than countering the rotational forces of a bent shaft paddle. Nonetheless, it might be part of the solution.

The problem with the Aquabound was annoying, but now the problem has disappeared and the annoyance has evaporated. Changing the position of my hands and keeping all four fingers on the shaft might have been the most important steps.

In addition to Aquabound, I’ve paddled Werner’s and Lendal’s bent shafts. For me, Lendal’s was by far and away the best. But that’s my body not yours, and that can make all the difference. I paddled the Lendal Cadence, not the Cadence X.

Try these for ideas and let us know if you have any success.