What size bungee for sea kayak

Looking to replace deck bungees on 2 sea kayaks (Valley Gemini and Dagger Stratos). Standard use - holding pump, spare paddle, and the like. What diameter Bungee cord should be used? 1/4"?

Measure holes where it must go through. Use a bolt see if 5/16" goes through or a metric bolt.

I used 1/4".

Me too.

I used 3/16" reflective bungee on the last couple of boats I’ve done. I then use 3/8" adhesive-lined marine heat shrink on the ends to keep it from fraying (put the heat shrink on before cutting, then melt the tip.)

3 Likes

3/16" is fairly weak

1 Like

Been using it for years without issue.

I ordered some 1/4" and it won’t fit through the deck fittings on some of the fleet. Got 3/16" marine grade reflective from Sailrite and found it fits and is denser and has a stronger snap than standard bungee.

1 Like

I had the same problem. I tried shrink wrap and it wouldn’t work. That’s why I peeled back the sheath, cut the inner rubber bands, pulled the sheet back and used flame to melt the sheath. The pointed end served as a needle to feed and pull through the eyelets. I believe the eyelets are 1/4 inch, so it’s a tight fit, but it works. The original bungee cord was probably 3/16 inch because it didn’t have the same strong tension.

Clip the end a bit. :flushed:

Why? Works just fine

1/4" bungee here as well. I’m pretty sure that’s the original size on my Wilderness systems boats. I just cut and melted the ends. as long as the knots are tight, I’ve never had a problem with unraveling. (Though I like the marine heat-shrink tubing idea for neatness!)