What skills are you currently working on?

Getting a balance brace, just can’t seem to nail that one!

I’m still a beginner after a few years and a number of lessons, so I’m working on improving all basic strokes, and also on self and assisted rescues. My bracing needs a lot of work, for sure. Also working on being comfortable upside down in the boat, since I’d like to learn to roll. And then I went and got myself a SOF kayak so that’s a whole other set of skills I’m going to need to learn. And my composite boat has some damage so I need to learn basic maintenance and repair. Wow, too much to learn and not enough time on the water! Perfect! :grin:

Working on my off side paddle strokes. They’re not very efficient right now.

I’ve also been working on finding the perfect modified otter tail paddle for an affordable price. That’s a skill now days, isn’t it? Combining the perfect paddle with an affordable cost?

Working on paddling my less dominant side and just testing my limits of the canoe balance-wise. Standing and leaning as far over as I can. Also been working on self rescue if the canoe gets swamped.

Convincing my wife that I need a new kayak again this year.

2 Likes

What does she want?

I bought a used Bell Magic as a sit down boat since I have some knee pain when kneeling. The seat is super low and (surprisingly) there’s no concern with stability but my butt does get sore after a couple of hours and the muscles one uses are a little different than when kneeling so I think it’s just a matter of time before I feel comfy in a sitting boat on a long paddle. Had the Magic out yesterday.

3 Likes

I’m mostly working on ways to make my wife feel sorry for me and let me go paddling more often. You would think after being retired for 20 years a person would have all the Honey do projects done. It just gets worse.

2 Likes

When I was a much younger fellow I used to occasionally pole a canoe upstream. I never was good at it but I could get there by and by. I can’t say I’ve been working on it, but I should. Its something I’d like to be a little skilled at. The issue really is that my “home river” is almost a pure sand bottom and a pole gets stuck and you lose whatever progress is made on the push when pulling the pole out of the sand after it sinks. Its not a skill that I regularly need so I put off going out of my way to go someplace where it would work in order to learn to do something I don’t usually need to do and which I’m not good at. I’m getting to be an old dog but its a new trick that could be useful occasionally if I learned to be decent at it…

Waiting on boats right now.
Mostly cycling.
When my Pungo kayak gets here, I’d like to work on my braces and handling large waves from the stern.
I’ve never been that good at keeping a solo canoe going straight, with a canoe paddle, without frequently switching sides (sit and switch). I’d like to work on that.
I saw a interesting alternative to the J stroke where the paddle never leaves the water. Next time I’m in a tandem, I’d like to work on that.

Just an idea. Try putting a cross-country ski pole basket on the end of your pole. or something similar. :slightly_smiling_face:

On one front I’m working on becoming a canoeist. I feel like I’ve made some incremental improvements with my J stroke, but it’s quite obvious to me that it isn’t what I hope to achieve. The doing subtle corrections without any attention paid to it or much awareness of it is more where I’d like to be.

On another front, I went out for a paddle with the Greenland paddle. I’m trying to like it, and keep telling myself I need more time. I’ve managed a few forward sweeping, forward finishing rolls, and last time I did a few butterfly rolls. It seems like I’m just rolling with assistance from a big floaty stick (maybe because that is what it is). I left last time missing the effortlessly slicey feeling of a wide-bladed paddle. The Greenland when sculling and sweeping through the water comparatively sort of feels like a very dull knife slicing up a roast vs a nice sharp knife. Just a weird impression that may have no bearing on performance once a person gets used to the new “feeling”. The feeling is maybe something like putting the foam paddlefloat on my regular blade, but probably not quite that extreme. In the waves, I felt clumsy, and a couple of normal thoughtless minor balance corrections became capsize-saving braces. Again, more time is needed. Either way, I’m enjoying it.
And I’m always working on directional control while riding waves. There’s something quite disappointing to me about having a wave that I’m riding pass under me while it still holds nice riding potential. So taking an angle, then straightening, then another angle, then straightening, letting it ride straight to stay on when not-so-steep, using the moments of increased steepness to maneuver hard to straighten or steer without the wave getting away from me. And of course, if I lose it and broach completely, always working on ways to get my bow to spin back downwave to continue.
So there’s a few things anyway. Challenges well worth dreaming about.

That is a mystery that I still have not found an answer for. lol

My body definitely isn’t a ‘balance brace’ body. I’m not convinced it has much value. I think it’s more parlor trick than resting position or learning exercise.

Besides just being enjoyable to do, an example of where it’s quite useful:
On long paddling days, to cool off (on my hourly 5 minute break), I will lean over on each side (‘balance brace’).
Full upper body immersion (including top of head), except for face - meaning, the glasses don’t get wet.
VERY refreshing on hot days.
note: better than roll because stuff on deck stays dry, my glasses stay dry

1 Like

My next breathe!

Thanks Bud16415 - that’s a good thought, and I’ve had similar in the past. The basket would need to be secured very well - I can see how if a basket sunk even a half or three quarters inch occasionally it might tear or be pulled off with repeated use. A similar idea I’ve seen mentioned in literature - and this was ages ago - was a couple hinged metal pieces attached in a manner similar to a huge drywall toggle bolt, only mounted backwards. Perhaps the spring is unnecessary… it should fold back on withdrawl, assuming the hinge doesn’t get clogged with sand.
I think something similar was sometimes used by piroque polers in mud bottomed bayou country. Looks kind of heavy and perhaps awkward, especially for a novice like myself… but maybe it is necessary on soft sand.

1 Like

Cooking on boat trips is becoming an art form. I like to bring an aluminum Dutch Oven for baking and making things like stews and enchiladas. No foil pouch food allowed unless we run out of ice on a long trip in the heat.

We take turns making dinner. All of my river running friends are good cooks.

Sniffing out great kayak sale deals on-line.

1 Like

SOTconvert. I loved canoeing before I bought a rec kayak. I’ve been in a canoes since then but only to assist other paddlers. I prefer to paddle and let them enjoy the ride. I like a long paddle. Call me crazy and don’t confuse me with logic if I’m wrong, I keep doing it anyway. Mother Jyak always said, “You don’t listen, you never listen!” I like the fulcrum advantage. As long as you have the strength to lever it to fight wind and to rudder guide the boat. I sit straight and paddle stroke, ending each stroke with the low hand braced on the gunwale and micro steering with the handle hand. Unless I’m mistaken about proper J-Stoke form, I think it tends to stunt forward momentum at least slightly. The reason I like the person up front to enjoy the ride is because I use their body as a front sight to range. No problem for me on lakes, but can’t talk about the technique on open water. Don’t know if you ever tried that.

My first fun boat was a 140 Pungo duralite. Its the first boat I give a beginner to use, because its fast, seaworthy and forgivable, but its so wide and you can’t lock yourself into it. A true delight to transport and paddle. I realized the limitations and added a bulkhead. I cut the foam oversized and kept trimming as I pushed it forward until I got a tight fit. I got 3" neoprene foam recently at CLC in Annapolis for $54 which is enough for two boats. Still love Pungo and will never sell. But I figure - why fix a boat when you can buy a new boat with bells and whistles. The touring boat gives so much more confidence. Im having so much fun reading about experiences I want a sea kayak and a Greenland Paddle. Before the forum, I though GPs were an anachronism.

Reading some of the training experiences makes me feel lazy. Dont beat yourself up guys; you should be proud of your incredible progress. I’ve been paddling for years and am learning from just reading. I’m ashamed to say I won’t even attempt some of the things you’re trying to master. Seems like you’re a long way from were you started. Even getting some cooking ideas. Ain’t this grand.