What the heck IS this thing?

I was on my second cup of coffee when I saw the op’s post…I went after the solution like a Thanks Giving Turkey… :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s a screw holder but it only has a capacity of 2 screws!
For a sail… Get a WIND PADDLE!
If you have a rudder on your yak…even better!

I’d actually like a small sloop rig (gaffed?) for going upwind. Maybe I’ll try and make something. I’ve got a few old windsurfing sails so I may be able to cut one down.

You’re over thinking it… It doesn’t have to be a full sail rig… Keep it simple!
Try using a GOLF UMBRELLA!

Can’t go upwind with an umbrella.

I paddle upwind and use the Wind Paddle to come back.
For going up/cross wind having a rudder makes the tacking much easier with a sail, wind paddle or umbrella.

Just so you have one serious response by a mature person and not a bunch of mean spirited children, I don’t know what it is but looks like something could be held down with elastic bands. Does their website give any clues?

Oldboo correctly identified it over a week ago, but I was enjoying all the “incorrect” identifications. I didn’t take any of it as mean spirited. It’s the mount for a compass made by Suunto (discontinued model). According to PaddleDog52, they were not very good compasses.

1 Like

No gaff if you want to go upwind. High aspect ratio gets you upwind i.e. tall mast, short boom. Long, low sails lose their aerodynamic shape easier, and the luff…will start luffing

As with everything sailing, there are compromises. I’m not looking to race (been there, done that, got bored). If I can beat at about 45º to windward that’ll be fine.