What was under your Christmas 🎄?

Stranger than fiction - its always challenging to try to understand the mindset of folks who were brilliant in their day and in a particular field, yet holding beliefs so obviously contrary to what is now known. Trained by Louis Agassiz (who knew a thing of two about fish also), he sought proof of God’s hidden order of nature in a universe of entropy and chaos. Get the classifications right and you can glimpse the mind of God. He came from an age where the best educated of his teachers included a majority who believed with certainty in spontaneous generation. Like true believers in eugenics, its hard to fully grasp that mindset now.

My grandfather was a department head in medicine at the University of Chicago. For laughs he held on to a copy of a text (a text!) containing a recipe for mice - just the proper ratio of rice, cotton rags, in the proper sized shoe box, placed in an attic at a specific temperature and voila, Mice! Spontaneous generation proven! (And all our cats are both entertained and nourished.) There was a chapter entitled “Sunshine can be distilled from cucumbers, but the process is tedious.”

Agreed, an interesting man…

Kestrel 3500

dang Strang, I sucked down the whole bottle. Nice being young again, but what the heck am I doing in a buttboat?

2 Likes

I have observed and experienced the same effect from sucking down the contents of various bottles of alcoholic beverages. Mental changes, not physical .
That 12 yo rum I got for Christmas has only been lightley sampled.

A sunshine distilled from cucumbers?
Yes, that surely must be quite tedious.
Why ten years puttin’ fireflies in the pickle jar,
not one light gherkin for even the neediest.

And yer damn right it sure is fishy,
try’n to put everything in its ickthy place,
I mean who’s gettin’ catfished by some Eugene Nicks,
to think they’d ever run clean human race?

Oh, and I got a hat.
I’ll try not to mistake it for my wife.
If I wear it, perhaps she won’t mistake me for a coelacanth.

2 Likes

36" propane griddle for the back deck. I take that to mean I’m supposed to cook breakfast more often… :slight_smile:

I got a wooden box that some fancy food was boxed in. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

The adults quit exchanging gifts a year or two back and the kids make out like bandits. I have dibs on any cool boxes before they get thrown out.

1 Like

She thinks you’re a fossil?

Thanks for the reminder to put that Sacks book on my to-read list.

I used to be fascinated by travel in foreign lands. Then I finally realized the greatest expanses of wild country in the world are in North America.

2 Likes

North America has tremendous variety in wild places.

But it does not have every kind of ecosystem in the world. Some people enjoy experiencing those…and the different cultures present in them, One of the different cultural aspects could be how they celebrate holidays, which might not include Christmas.

It’s not a competition between North America and another continent.

I’ll never live long enough to see all of America I would like to. We are very fortunate to live here.

1 Like

Thank you, once again, CWDH for your gift of poetry. You’d enjoy this book, I think. For a taxonomist, to name a thing is to bring it into the known world, to define it, delineate what it is and what it isn’t. Naming and the skillful usage of words is similarly the province of the poet, artfully delineating what an idea is and what it isn’t. Naming makes a thing real, to a human.
Yet there is the counterargument: The opposite of natural is the artificial; that which is man-made. Nature has no bounds, no definitive lines. In naming a thing one brings it out of the undefined world of nature and into the realm of limited human understanding. It makes the natural reality artificial, symbolic, understandable by people. That’s what Jordan did so prolifically.

In return for the gift of your poem, I’ll make one in return. It isn’t my poetry, but borrowed from Jorge Luis Borges. Its really better this way… Hopefully all will enjoy it.

The Other Tiger
A tiger comes to mind.
The twilight here
Exalts the vast and busy Library
And seems to set the bookshelves back in gloom;
Innocent, ruthless, bloodstained, sleek,
It wanders through the forest and its day
Printing a track along the muddy banks
Of sluggish streams whose names it does not know
(In its world there are no names or past
Or a time to come, only the vivid now)
And makes its way across wild distances
Sniffing the braided labyrinth of smells
And the wind picking the smell of dawn
And tantalizing scent of grazing deer;
Among the bamboo’s slanting stripes I glimpse
The tigers stripes and sense the bony frame
Under the splendid, quivering cover of skin.
Curving oceans and the planet’s wastes keep us
Apart in vain; from here in a house far off
In South America I dream of you,
Track you, O tiger of the Ganges’ banks.
It strikes me now as evening fills my soul
That the tiger addressed in my poem
Is a shadowy beast, a tiger of symbols
And scraps picked up at random out of books,
A string of labored tropes that have no life,
And not the fated tiger, the deadly jewel
That under sun or stars or changing moon
Goes on in Bengal or Sumatra fulfilling
Its rounds of love and indolence and death.
To the tiger of symbols I hold opposed
The one that’s real, the one whose blood runs hot
As it cuts down a herd of buffaloes,
And that today, this August third, nineteen
Fifty-nine, throws its shadow on the grass;
But by the act of giving it a name,
By trying to fix the limits of its world,
It becomes a fiction, not a living beast,
Not a tiger out roaming the wilds of earth.
We’ll hunt a third tiger now, but like
The others this one too will be a form
Of what I dream, a structure of words, and not
The flesh and bone tiger that beyond all myths
Paces the earth. I know these things quite well,
Yet nonetheless some force keeps driving me
In this vague, unreasonable, and ancient quest,
And I go on pursuing through the hours
Another tiger, the beast not found in verse.

Jorge Luis Borges
(trans. Norman Thomas di Giovanni)

But this is a post about Christmas gifts… so (belatedly) MCTAATAAGN
Its the thought that counts, right?

2 Likes

Strangely, or maybe not my thoughts of how words limit, and exalt. So elegant the eloquence of taxonomy, and poetry as we try to grasp what is and is not. A cichlid called Agassiz was a mystery that stirred a soul much akin to tigers as they stalk. The things we may never know let us hope are never lost.

Yes, an elegant Apistogramma but not one of Jordan’s descriptions - Steindachner 1875. Same guy who erected the genus Cynolebias.
But we digress - such a book is a wonderful Christmas gift.

A reincarnation of Wanda Tibbs

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me a Parson (Russell Terrier) on a downed tree

5 Likes

Castoff is having 60s flashbacks.

I thought that it was PJC that has the Flashback.

Its a zen thing - it wasn’t until I quit hoping for one that I got one.

1 Like

I took the 1 in 5 chance it might be him. Though that cichlid stirred my soul. I can tell you have a passion for binomial nomenclature. Carolus Linnaeus would be proud. The book does sound interesting. The word a truly human construction to attempt an understanding, and pass it on to others.

I enjoy trying to do the same with photographs as word smiths do with words. I’m just an amateur. I wasn’t expecting my gift this year. I will now enter the league of obnoxious drone flyers! My kids went together and gave me a small DJI Mini 2 drone. Not real loud, folds up and fits in a pocket, and takes 4K video. A flying robotic camera. Drones were not something I ever considered owning. But after flying it yesterday for the first time. and taking it up 150’ above the house to capture the sunset both through and above the trees. I am a convert.

1 Like