What wetsuit for Delmarva?

Thanks, that’s reassuring. Oh, to be young enough not to notice the water temperature!

2 Likes

I remember summers on Lake Michigan as a kid (the grandparents and several aunts and uncles lived in Muskegon so our parents sent my sis and I to bunk with the cousins for the season). The Big Lake always felt cold enough to make us gasp when we would first venture in, but within a few minutes we would adjust and it would feel like warm bath water for the rest of the day.

One of the annoying features of menopause is that your thermoregulation becomes really lousy. I used to adjust well to temp shifts and now I have to change my outfit to adapt.

Whenever I think sarcastically to myself, Ain’t getting older fun? Then I realize, hey, at least I’m still alive. :wink:

1 Like

I just went through all my gear and I actually have a Kokatat Innercore long-sleeve shirt that I forgot about. It’s a large and the fit isn’t very tight. Is it supposed to be tight? Also I’m not sure how this kind of material compares with neoprene. I thought neoprene would keep me warmer if I’m in the water a lot.

I have a couple of those and think it would be a good choice for you. In fact, one of mine is too small for me (Kokatat sizing used to be inconsistent and it is considerably smaller than the other one the same marked size)). If I haven’t already sent it to my outfitter friends consignment, I’ll bring it with me and maybe it will fit you.

The innercore material is not the same as hydroskin (which is more like neoprene in being waterproof and needing to fit snugly. Even if it is sort of loose it is still a good insulator even when damp. That top plus hydroskin tights and a windproof shell would be a good flexible outfit in the conditions that we’ve been advised about.

Great, thanks so much! My top is just a splash jacket. I’m thinking maybe I should try to get a semi-dry top, what do you think? Or will that just let water in anyway, so I should just hope to be able to borrow a Smurf tuilik during wet work?

One thing to keep in mind is how much time you will be spending actually in the water. If I’m planning on spending a lot of time in the water, teaching wet exits for instance, I will wear warmer gear than if I am just out for a day paddle. Even 75° water starts to feel cold if you are in it long enough unless you are not keeping very active. Also consider the effect of wet gear on a cool windy day.

1 Like

As long as it is not a one piece or waterproof zipper around the waist water will get in during a swim. Variations only affect how much, not whether.

Yeah, I’m beginning to understand that. But as a newbie to shoulder season paddling and to Greenland paddling retreats, it’s hard to determine how wet will feel too cold. And how, precisely, to handle it.

Understood. I would go with what those above with Greenland and time in that water body said.

My two piece comment was because I have two lovely regular farmer Janes that are barely used. Once I started getting wet regularly I went to dry, and now I use separates for some paddles that are middle temperature ranges.

That makes sense. I guess I will just have to learn via experience and hope my clothing choices will work out well enough! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

We went to Delmarva 3 years ago and used wet suits. Most of the rolling was either in the pool or close to the shore, so its not is if you are stuck on the water for hours with no way of warming up. I had a 3/4 full suit, which was more than adequate. For some of the paddles I wore shorts and a long sleeved top with a kayaking waterproof jacket. Always find wet suits easier for rolling in than dry suits. Returning this year and will be bringing my wet suit. See you there

Thanks, Kevin, that’s good to know. I’ll see you there!

Spotted this “bundle” deal on Ebay that might interest you. I have the exact same full wet suit (complete with the blue Hawaiian print trim) and it’s very comfortable – per the Xcel sizing (this is a size 8) it is for someone with around a 27 inch waist, 36" bust and hips and 120 to 140 pounds. And it comes with a hydroskin type top also an 8 and a smaller hooded vest – you could probably cut the hood off and use tucked into the top of the wetsuit. Even with the shipping, it’s under $75 for all of it.

Thanks, that does look like a good deal. But I already purchased some neoprene separates. I was thinking a wet suit might be more constricting. But I’m not sure how I’ll feel after I fall in the cold water… repeatedly. Hmm.

Sounds like you are all set then. As I mentioned, that is the exact same surfer wetsuit I have (bought it used on Ebay 11 years ago to use for my PADI SCUBA diving course but ended up also using it for whitewater paddling). It’s very comfortable – Xcel cuts their suits for real female bodies (unlike companies like Roxy, Oneil and Billabong who seem to think all women are preteen anorexics.)

You will be fine, Honestly, the biggest issue is likely to be when you are up in the air again. That is where a wind blocking layer gets critical.

Thanks. I managed to pick up an inexpensive Kokatat tectour anorak (Tropos, not Goretex) and although the non-removable hood doesn’t seem ideal, it should be warm.

1 Like

Thanks, I may go to a wetsuit eventually, we’ll see! The fact of the back zip seems cumbersome though. Peeing must be an ordeal!

You may be able to tighten the hood up enough to hold around your neck. It looks like a good top.