What you want in a Magazine

suggestions
Sorry, to offend. If the admins feel I posted in the wrong place please move.

Although, the suggestions would be towards more of what kind of articles I post on nessmuking.

Canoe Journal
If only they would publish Canoe Journal 6 times a year instead of the 1 time of year. I’d subscribe to that in a second.

I’d love to see your list
sing - I’d love to see your list of a perfect magazine if you could have one specifically devoted to you.

Internet personalities
There are a few people on this B.B. site and other paddling B.B. sites I feel could make for some interesting and even humorous magazine articles. Knowing someone from their web name is in one of these articles would have me wanting to buy that magazine. I feel some of the people here are real and more relatable to. The articles could show there boat stable, or just the personal things that they have done to personalize or add to their boats/equipment that are not found on the market. Where some of you paddle and the conditions you find as ideal could be a part of the articles.

The flock of you here could make for at least one article for every mag. issue.

Clubs and club activities
An addition to the above would be articles on state by state paddling clubs and their activities.

that makes sense
lots of clubs have story material on their website or in news letters. A smart editor could make a series with that. “Visiting another coast, check out …”

my list:
-150 pages

-12 issues a year

-NO whitewater

-better captions

-better photo placement

-Advertisements on the same page as articles

placed on the side of the magazine, no

more than 3.5" in, in a banner form

-Article coverage of Sea kayak trips.

-More Canoe trip reports

-more Flatwater reports

-test more canoes.

Canoe Journal= zero times a year
Sorry Brian, the C&K editor canceled this after the 2006 issue, despite howls from the staff not to (their words at a past paddlesport show).

you can’t take the internet
into the bathroom

no more free passes
really mean boat reviews

lots
of good ideas here so I will just add one.

I would like to see real life resistance tests done on canoes and kayaks that get reviewed.

they should be checked at various speeds with the anticipated loads (min max and average)

in other words flow tested

Bob

definitely…
While I love the whitewater stuff in kayaking magazine, I understand that it wouldn’t appeal to many hear. However, unbiased gear and boat reviews including criticisms would be GREAT. It would never happen but it’d be nice for someone to come out and say that a certain boat sucks.

I Really Did Think About It…

– Last Updated: Jan-30-07 5:15 AM EST –

I just don't have any interest per se in much of any of the current mags. I actually do like looking at beautifully taken pics (which I think is rare in mags) but that's not enough for me to buy a mag. I may browse quickly in the bookstore and that's about it.

Initially, in any new (gear involved) sport, I tend to want to learn about the gear and techniques involved. So, the magazines will do some of that (but really more primer oriented than anything). Then they quickly become redundant. I find that I generally prefer good books on these and I tend to reference back more.

Right now, I'm looking for the comprehensive book on surf board construction and design. I have yet to find one. I have checked surfing mags for articles and have found them, for the most part, to be like kayaking mags -- largely uninteresting. Every once in awhile, there is a tid bit artcle but nothing worth me buying.

sing

Mag Titled "Beginner Canoe &Kayaking"
with all the articles, advertisements, and commentary oriented to NEW boaters…with the growth of the sport, there are multitudes asking sales people questions they are NOT prepared to answer.

One of my pet peeves
is the C&K annual beginner’s guide…they’ve used the same damn articles for at least 3 years. One article in particular galls me, when the lady says she bought a canoe that was green so she could leave it in her parents back yard and it would be less noticeable on the grass! Arrrggghhh! Who the hell leaves their damn boats on the grass fer chriss sake?

Yeah

– Last Updated: Jan-30-07 9:31 AM EST –

BTW whats the faster color? seafoam green or Red?

Wow
Canceling what is always C&K’s finest issue. Crazy.

interesting
i had to laugh at your view of whitewater paddlers “yelling profanities at each other just for shock value”. i’m guessing you don’t really know any whitewater paddlers. i’d be afraid to paddle difficult water with anyone who actually matched that description as they probably wouldn’t be able to deal with the planning, focus, or teamwork required to safely navigate a class V+ canyon.

As for what i’d like to see in a magazine for myself, I am going to veer off from the conventional wisdom of the thread and state that i would like to see more space devoted to the exotic whitewater destinations. those stories are where i like to get ideas for future trips. also more high quality photos. Kayak Session does a good job with printing good photos in my opinion. Get rid of gear reviews, although that’s the issue where they make their money sucking up to the manufacturers so it’ll never happen. i like regional and national trip reports as well, but lets be honest, we’ve already seen trip reports from most of them, so that’s why i like the stories from asia, africa, and south america.

i know, i’m kind of an outsider on this site, but for whatever reason i like it more than boatertalk. i liked the idea of a separate whitewater forum, but that’s up to brent :wink:

What do I want in a magazine?
High capacity, high power rounds.

My list

– Last Updated: Jan-30-07 4:52 PM EST –

More articles about different locals and destinations. Both USA and abroud. The ins and outs of getting there, and kayaking/canoeing there. IE, can you camp out, and/or paddle from hotels. The good bad and ugly about the destinations.
No gear articles on water tight boxes and bungee cords. These are just marketing, and a waste of print space.
Like many above, honest reviews of boats and paddles. We need both a begineers perspective, and a seasoned vet's. Boats, especially kayaks, are not one size fits all. So what works about a particular boat, and what doesn't. Who and what is the boat targeted for? Is it sized and balanced for small, average, or extra large paddlers. Is it for dead flat water, large open water with significant texture, oceans, or moveing streams. Does it meet those goals. What are it limitations, where does it excel. How does it compare to others. In other words, lots more (lots more!) specific details about the boat in review. Tired of reading those print reviews that go, took the boat out for a couple minutes on dead flat and windless day and it felt fine too writer. But they really like the deck rigging, and it looked pretty.
Don