What's In/On your PFD?

if you don’t have that stuff on you…

– Last Updated: Feb-04-08 7:22 AM EST –

then the ocean, being the occasionally greedy and always uncaring and capricious GF that she is, will be sure that you don't have that stuff when you want it.

on/in the pfd....snack/power bar, compass, hypo bag (those little ones that fold to nothing?), whistle, lendal key, strobe, DUCT TAPE, putty, scissors, water, flares, dye, radio, watch/baro, tiny first aid kit, always a way to make fire, sunglasses, hat and then maybe a little hat stuffed in there.

If You Don’t Have…
the kitchen sink, you ain’t prepared (according some). :slight_smile:

sing

welllllllllllll?
duck & goose poo sure glad elephants don’t fly!

if i’m surfing right off the beach,
i won’t need the kitchen sink. i can walk to my car and get it. in that case the pfd would be pretty empty.

if i’m outta sight of my car though or away from the beach for a bit, then i might carry more. and if there’s a group of us, then i’d carry a wider range of gear.

You Actually Have…
a kitchen sink in your car? :slight_smile:

The funny thing is that some long boaters are still loaded to their necks, even when just playing in 2’ soup right next to the beach.

sing

Snacks, knife, keys

– Last Updated: Feb-05-08 9:09 AM EST –

On the ocean I'll add a VHF radio.
Snacks because of all the insulin I shoot. (diabetic)
Knife because there's rope.
Keys because it's too far to walk home.
Radio because the ocean is really really big.

Oops! and a whistle. Gotta have a whistle to get your attenetion because the water is so noisy.

Most of the time
just a whistle and a pair of Tweakers in the front pocket. If I’m on a trip I’ll carry a small folding knife.

hey, the jeep is fully
equipped for all things outdoors…and while the sink is a collapsible camp sink, it is technically a sink.

i don’t see the point in carrying all that stuff if i’m not going to be going anyway and it’s a just a park and play day. at the point all that gear becomes relatively useless or there are other, more convenient alternatives, then you’re just carrying crap you don’t need.

if i were just playing along the beach by my car on a hot day i’d be hard convinced to wear the pfd…let alone carry along all the gear i’d bring for a day away.

“I got a big ol’ dog, a long iron bar…
…I keep that mutha humpa in the back seat of my car…”

----John Prine

Naughty, Naughty…

– Last Updated: Feb-04-08 11:36 AM EST –

for sans PFD. :) Actually, I don't wear mine until it gets near 6' and over. No point in taking chances with bigger rips.

Now, a helmet I can't do without. Got flipped a$$ over head this weekend in mellow 3-4' surf and my helmet took a nice rap on the rocky homebreak bottom. Hmm... wonder if I can put a pocket in the helmet... LOL!

The beauty of surfing, for me, is not only the rush but the minimal gear involved. If it took as much time for me to load up for surfing, as it does for me to go out with the long boat, I hazard that I would have see a significant reduction in my surfing time. I certainly don't want to spend .5 hour loading for dawn patrol in a winter's morn. Heck, I find I paddle way more these days as a surf paddler than I did as long boat paddler. Have waves, will surf (almost every time). Flat water, go to the gym. :)

sing

pfd
Pointed knife or blunt tip? VRF

in/on my pfd
In my PFD = me

On my PFD = knife in the lash tab, Pentax W10 in a pocket, and my name on the back

gerber river shorty
and a whistle. Everything else in the dry bag except thermos of hot water(seasonal) and a bottle of drinking water.

What is the useful purpose of posts…
…that appear to be poking fun at folks that seem to be trying to be responsible in regards to very real safety issues? Have the recipients of this fun done something irresponsible? Are they stupid? Are they showing a lack of knowledge or preparedness? Are any of them poking fun at the folks that don’t seem to think they need to carry this or that item such that it warrants a response? Show me the light…

never, never
go surfing without the helmet. never. not again.

it’s amazing how fast a quick whack in the skull can re-define the course of your future ranging from moments to a lifetime.

on the honeymoon we went sans pfd’s down in the keys (f-l-a-t water city)…and it really did feel just WRONG but boy, did it feel great!

It Goes Both Ways…

– Last Updated: Feb-04-08 2:03 PM EST –

Here and in real life where folks who *think* they know it all get condescending with others who don't approach it the same way as they do, sport the same amount/type of gear, or don't paddle the supposedly right "seakayaks" (yes, in my experience, it seems this is more a tendency from long boaters).

Yes, I do think folks should err on the side of safety. But the safety differs with different folks, different experiences, different skills and different venues.

Actually, with Rick's post, at least he contextualizes why he carries what he does. Offering a list without giving background from the individual says what? How is it helpful, really?

sing

Mine

– Last Updated: Feb-04-08 2:13 PM EST –

On/in mine:

- VHF Radio (Only when VHF's are appropriate - waterproof binocs or a camera replace it in fresh water)
- River knife
- Strobe (On shoulder)
- Reflective epaulets
- Storm whistle
- Breath powered air horn
- Signal mirror
- Noseplugs
- Earplugs
- Hikers compass
- 35 ft Tow/throw line

My sprayskirt also has a mesh pocket, and I keep a 12 gauge flaregun & 6 shells in that in a small drybag, and many times also a GPS tethered to it.

Only the flaregun and strobe have never had occasion to be used. And I hope they stay that way.

the short
boaters can poke fun of the long boat guys and vice versa as long as we all accept and understand the different skills, requirements, locations, etc., that go along with each. nothing wrong with a little fraternal ribbing…hell, some folks even paddle (gasp) canoes!

sometimes folks are taught one way and then THAT’S IT…THAT’S THE RIGHT WAY and it’s written in stone and they learn over time (god willing) that maybe they can relax and look around…in the meantime, there’s that dogma thing that rears it’s ugly head.

and sing and i agree that you see this in long boaters more than you see it in short boaters…i think the learning opportunities are/were structured differently from that short sport to long boat sea kayaking. that’s all changing and getting more fluid (it’s pun-city) but for a long time folks were fairly rigid about it.

I don’t know anyone
who loads and unloads their PFD for a specific trip. It’s easier to just put it on. Mine has a strobe light and whistle attached at the shoulder, sure as heck ain’t taking those off, no matter where I’m headed. Too much of a pain to get back on. Maybe I need two PFDs …

mine
in mine: ear plugs, nose plugs, power bar, grease pen, lip screen

on mine: whistle, strobe light, watch