What's In/On your PFD?

Blunt knife
I have never heard of a “Blunt knife”. Is this a brand name? Or is this like a butter knife grandma used to let us play with?

Point is ground off square at the end…
…so you’re less likely to accidently impale something that wouldn’t like to be impaled.

Blunt knives
If you are carrying a knife on the PFD rather than Sea Snips or that round cutter whose name I forget, many prefer a dive knife with two features. A blunt end, obviously safer than a pointy one, and a case that requires a tab be pressed by the thumb for the knife to actually release.

My PFD at full load for sea kayaking has a goodly bunch of stuff in it. But then, at my size even with all that junk I still don’t have to swim to stay afloat with it on.

WOW

– Last Updated: Feb-05-08 1:01 AM EST –

guess I'm really bad for not wearing a PFD with a kayak full of gear attached but all of this depends on the water each paddles.

different sports
What people are forgetting is that although we may all say kayak (ignoring canoeists for a bit here), we are NOT talking about the same sport.

People need different things for different sports. If I were to be paddling a Pungo on the local pond for 30 minutes after work, I need different things that if I were to go surfing with Sing or a night paddle out of Pierce Island in Portsmouth or a class 3 in New Hampshire.

Bottom line is know how to use what you carry and carry what you need and keep it up to date and in good condition. Trial and error will tell you what you need.

And another thing…WOW - people who have a hard time rolling when they have a water pack on their PFD need to get practicing. It really doesn’t have that great of an effect on a good roll.

I guess I am just cranky!

Good paddling and each of you enjoy your sport and pack according to your needs.

Best,

Suz

whistle, fuzzy rubber hood,

It’s a kayacentric universe
Sure Suz just when I’m thinking you butboaters are alright.

Ignore the canoeists at your own peril. :wink:

Hey SuperTroll!
“vhf, bandana, Keltec P32 pistol, small gerber pocket knife.”

What kind of bag do you put the Keltec in? Has it ever taken a saltwater swim? If so, how did it fare?

let’s see
My mouth operated fog horn, in lieu of a whistle, some flares, a knife, nose plugs for rolling practice and sometimes I attach my vhf to the vest.

Back to the question, I carry
a Fox40 whistle, carmex, a medium sized swiss army knife and sometimes a pack of camels and a lighter. And I always wear it in the canoe so’s it’s covered with sweat stains and ground in trail mix crumbs.

Orange plastic bag
My Coast Guard Auxiliary neighbor gave it to me. It has rule of the road and navigation aids printed on it.

Works as: Visual distress signal, hypothermia protection, litter-picker-upper, hatch cover, foatation bag, shelter / water collector if stranded, tourniquet…

Cost: Nil

Weight: ~1 oz.

Bouancy: slightly positive

Size: 1/2 cell phone

Mike

water in the PFD = too much weight?
wearing it on land I would agree. but in the water a bag full of water should be about neutral. I imagine the weight of the water container is really the only weight that counts when the container is in the water. However, you have any air trapped in the container to add to buoyancy. AND, fresh water is less dense than salt water so if you are in the ocean that should aid the floating.

MP3 Player
While I usually prefer to listen to the sounds of nature… I carry an MP3 player in my PFD for long open water crossings.

Statement was in regards to CG…
“I think it’s too much added weight and changes your CG upwards…”

I’ve personally just never found that I need water on my PFD and my reason said nothing about difficulty rolling as one other post seemed to indicate. To each his own.

it had nothing to do with rolling
I was assuming, since you earlier listed off several items you carried and their buoyancy, that buoyancy was the main subject. You then said that water on the PFD was too much weight. I assumed you were still referring to it in terms of buoyancy. I realize now they were two different items.

I carry water on my PFD because it is the most convenient for me. I have my water when I leave my kayak (either walking or swimming). And I don’t have to worry about the logistics of the drinking tube and spray skirt.

Wow, does it still float?
I am always a little intrigued when I see PFD’s loaded up with radios, flares, strobe lights, etc…I sometimes wonder how these guys are able to paddle. These paddlers also tend to have their bungee straining to hold down all kinds of extra safety gear, you know just in case. I am sure the compartments of their boats also are full of stuff becasue you just can’t be too prepared. Anyone carry a tent, just in case they get stranded somewhere? C’mon fess up. I know there are a few of you out there.

To each their own. The sport of paddling welcomes all types of people, and seems to attract a high proportion of boy scout personalities.

Nothing wrong with this. If I was in trouble out there, I would sure like to see one of these guys come my way. But, frankly I rarely see these guys paddling out in the more dangerous areas that I like.

Spyderco Saltwater knife,
…fox whistle with mirror on short lanyard, camera, noseplugs, Partagas maduro, lighter. The rest goes in my day hatch.

Partagas, mmmm mmmm
Dogmaticus

What’s In/On your PFD?
I’m in it.

Lake mold is on it.

pfd

– Last Updated: Feb-09-08 5:40 AM EST –

whistle, 2 cliff bars, key for trunk of car and a knife (which I am starting to dislike. Pentax optio attached on the bib part of the pfd so I can tuck it in on the side and pull out when I want to take a quick pic.

however, I do have a Northwater vest that fits over a pfd that I do have loaded up for bear for the occasional times that I go out on open ocean or a longer trip. flares, VHF radio, manual foghorn, first aid and survival mini kits, orange bag for shelter 2 different firestarters, cliff bar, beef jerky and probably other stuff. weighs in at about a pound. I am sure it is mostly psychological and for the most part I find that it does just as well in the boat along with a dry bag or two with a change of clothes and multitool.
I do not find that the vest impedes paddling or rolling even though it is obviously bulkier than just the pfd.

Can't remember the last time I wore it though...but i bet I looked prepared!

:)

Paul (getting weaned off gearhead status)