Whats the Verdict on Duralite?

So I have been thinking about upgrading to a Tsunami 145 and the duralite option seems interesting. Does anyone have any experience with this plastic?

I am worried that it is too flimsly since a keelson and extra bracing are standard features. If they weren’t a necessity I doubt the manufactor would have included them.

I’m a big guy coming in at 280 Lbs 6’1" and I’

m worried I might be too much for this boat to handle, especially the back deck when entering.

thanks in advance for your thoughts, I appreciate all the great info these forums provide

Skip it
Just save for a composite. Upgrading from a PE to an Airalite isn’t really an upgrade, besides for aesthitics. It’s not lighter, it’s not more easily repairable, it’s only marginally stiffer. Basically, airalite is a material that adds “flash” on the showroom floor. If you have a PE, and are thinking this is a shortcut to composite, think again. Better off waiting it out and saving for a real composite.

Supposedly less than good
I did hear from a reputable source yesterday that Duralite is little more than a thinner version of the same stuff but you are charged more for it.

Go figure. I have looked at the chemical composition of the Eddyline boats, the carbonlite series. Both its compostion and how it is made look superior in many ways to other products. They have been refining this the longest and it look like the result is a superior product after a series of adjustments. Really significantly lighter, does not fuzz, hard, tough, rigid, pretty darn resiliant, not perfect dropped for a car rack can form a crack, but can be easily repaired by fusing the crack so really an integrated strong repair.

Getting version 1.0 of anything is frequently a large risk with little pay off.

apples and pinecones
comparing Airalite and Duralite is like the above comparison.

Duralite IS a rotomolded PE. Airalite is a vaccum formed polycarbonate.

Given your size and weight i might suggest standard roto, not the thinner, lighter duralite.

The duralite resin is considerably different than the the standard gen 2 resin.

steve

SALLY’S TRACER IS "TRYLON"
an analogue to one of these. Because I believe the Tracer is a vacuformed boat, I think it’s probably a carbonlite analogue. And apparently, Hurricane Aquasports has been at it a bit longer than some of the others, and seems to be doing a pretty good job at it.

It IS a perceptibly lighter boat than others its size in roto poly. And because the colors go all the way thru the “Trylon”, it doesn’t show scratches like glass or some of the other materials.

And I must admit, to our eyes, it looks good -indeed, downright handsome, too!

It’s been fine for us. so far. to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Take Flatpick’s Advice
Flatpick’s recommendation to you is not just another paddler’s opinion but it is truly accurate advice. I don’t know if you know it or not but he was one of the members of the Tsumani design team as well as the designer of the Tempest.

I have paddled a poly 145 model several times and can tell you that it is one sweet yak!

yup, and…
…Steve has answered your question, rather than going off-topic about Airlite, Trylon, Carbonlite, etc.

Ooops
I guess that’s what happens when I post at quarter to six! LOL

BUT has anyone
actually repaied one of these babies ? All the rep’s reviewers talk a mean stick about it but I’ve yet to see a post from a PADDLER that isn’t connected to a co. in some way talk about repairing these new "state of the art " (means it’s the latest tech. , nothing about how well it is ) materials . Inquiring minds want to know —M

repair
haven’t had one break yet but it’s linear poly so welding is the same ol’ same ol’. hot iron, melt plastic.

steve

keep your irons in the fire…
…(or your golfbag) & use an industrial heatgun.

I second Frank
The Tracer I bought is very noticibly lighter than my Capella RM. I bought the Tracer with the intention of it being my girlfriend’s primary boat but I’m getting jealous (and I own both!)

I haven’t owned long enough to testify to long term durability but the vacuum formed boats are definitely lighter and stiffer. I’ve recently wondered if I shouldn’t have bought myself a Nighthawk instead of the Capella. … Or left GF on the shore and bought a composite boat .

3hrTour

DuraLight/T16
I currently have a Enlightened T16 made out of thermoformed Dura Light–It weights about 46 to 48 lbs

I’m 57 and I can easly carry it on my shoulder or over my head. It seems to be strong and durable. I suggest

you check out Enlightened Kayak. Call Mike and he will be up front with you about the T16 and if it would

fit you. NOTE-- I weight 235 LBS and it works great for

me.

ITS WORTH LOOKING INTO!!!

DURALITE or is it DURALIGHT???
I think we have apples and oranges here folks…

It seems we are talking about two different materials. As if we are not confused enough already.

We can simplify this if everyone would just think WOOD… :wink:

yep
the one with the iron tip. and the tig feed and you are good to go.

steve

ouch
yep ‘their’ DuraLIGHT is thermoformed poly carbonite. Our DuraLITE is rotationally molded Poly E.

d’oh.

steve