what's wrong with a rec boat?

Pungos, rec. boats
Started out 10 years ago with 2 original Pungos which I still have. They have become my loaner boats for newbies.

I never felt the need to move to a touring boat but found myself wanting to cross small open water areas. Enter the rec touring boat which still has enough primary stability to fish from, but a smaller cockpit and 2 bulkheads to make rescue self possible.

If anyone ever laughed at me, I didn’t notice because I was having too much fun.

I float around in a "sea kayak"
the same as I would in a rec.kayak.

Rec Yaks…
I concur with what I think the majority of posts here are saying, which is there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a rec yak as long as your paddling will be in appropriate conditions. If you decide you want to paddle more whitewater (lots of opportunity where you live!), or head out on larger lakes/away from shore, then a rec boat would no longer be appropriate.

I, like many others, started in a rec boat. I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do, didn’t know that much about paddling, and didn’t want to make too big of an investment until I was sure it was something I would really pursue. The nice thing about starting in a rec boat is that if you DO decide (and you don’t need to do this!) that you want another/different boat, you can recoup some cost by selling your boat, or keep as a spare for friends/guests.

Having said that, not all rec boats are created equal, so I would say don’t think that if you are “just” getting a rec boat that you wouldn’t still want to do some comparisons. You’ll notice performance differences between a $200 rec boat and a $600 rec boat, so still shop around. As mentioned above, for example Pungo’s v-hull make it a better tracker for wide slow rivers or small lakes, while the Blackwaters more rounded hull make it better on rocky, shallow rivers but not as fast/straight tracking on the flats. While most rec boats do not have adequate floatation, some have more than others. If you can get one with a rear sealed bulkhead, that will be much better, and then you would just need to add bow bags for added floatation, as opposed to some models that are completely open. While large cockpits are standard on all rec boats, some are larger than others. That may be a plus to you, or not. When I chose my rec yak, I liked the smaller of the (large) cockpits, since it let me use my knees some to maneuver the boat, which felt more comfortable to me.

If I had decided all I wanted to do was slower class I/II rivers, I would still be happy with my rec boat. As it turns out, and I couldn’t have known this at the time, I wanted to try whitewater and also learn how to paddle bigger open waters. So I did end up with different boats. You might, too, or you might not! I don’t see any problem though in starting out in a rec boat, and even staying in that rec boat if that continues to fit your paddling needs! Sometimes I paddle my whitewater kayak on an easier river where most folks are in rental rec yaks or tandem canoes, and frankly, I think I’m the one being laughed at, not me laughing at the rec boaters!!!

Best of luck with your 'yak selection, and happy paddling!

Cheers

That’s what I’ve heard… :wink:

Hurricane Santee
I’m struggling with the same issue. Right now I’ve got a Hurricane Santee 116 on layaway. It seems to be a wonderful boat - thermoform, sealed fore and aft bulkheads, steers very nicely, and fast. It seems a far more refined little boat than some of the Wilderness System and Perception boats I’ve seen. It weighs 36 pound, which is great.

But I’ve spent the last week wondering whether I should get something bigger. Should I get a Hurricane Tampico (13.5 feet as compared to 11.6) feet. Realistically, I know I’ll be in the various lakes and rivers surrounding Ann Arbor. Still, to go out on the Great Lakes would be awesome.

I hope my little yellow boat doesn’t get sunk by a Tsunami…

what’s wrong with a rec boat?
Nothings “wrong” with a rec boat.

Just be aware that rec boats are still kayaks…

Meaning?

You now have a vehicle that can get you in, very quickly, over your head. Be prepared & make sure to also purchase:

Kayak Paddle, PFD, Spray Skirt, Pump, tow line, etc…

The biggest problem with rec boats is people buy the boats and don’t realize they need the other essentials.

I’ve had a Rec boat two years now . . .
and love it. Meets my personal need perfectly. I’m not into white water. I’m not into long distance touring. I just like to paddle to relax, to do some photography, for exercise, to fish, etc.

You didn’t specifically ask, but I tried a lot of boats before buying my Necky Manitou, including the Pungo. I realize that a lot of people like the Pungo, but I found the Manitou more manuevrable and easier to paddle (at the expense of a little less stability). The point is, a rec boats a fine choice if it meets your individual needs, but don’t get hung up on one particular model or manufacturer until you tried a lot of different boats.

Sometimes a Rec Boat Is Just Perfect
I have a few boats, but sometimes a Rec boat is just perfect for the day at hand.

They are light, compact, and easy to handle.

why should I haul out the 18’ Shearwater for a day floating around the lake?

i think of a rec boat as a decked canoe

– Last Updated: Mar-23-06 5:11 PM EST –

i wonder about folks who deride rec boats for being wide and dangerous in conditions. its the paddler that makes the boat seaworthy. the rec boats i've paddled handled fine and were a lot safer than most open canoes in 'conditions'. my womanfriend sold a very sweet perception keowee 2 (a 14' rec tandem with a huge cockpit) that was a capable solo canoe with the seats rearranged for solo paddling.

they are fine

– Last Updated: Mar-25-06 7:47 PM EST –

Rec boats are nice !!!! I have a Pamlico 140 !!! The Pamlico 140 is the boat I use. It's comfy and can fit lots of gear. It's my favorite Kayak !!!

Just thought of 3 more points…
…1. always wear a PFD.

2. get a rec kayak with footbraces-it increases

eficiency & control. Wish my bride’s boat had

them.

3. if there’s a local paddling club, join it.

You’ll meet nice people who will share ideas.

4. always wear a PFD

Well then, you could have at least…
…mentioned that you have a Pamlico 140!!! :wink:

All this time, I was under the distinct impression that it was actually a Pamlico 140 that you had. Um…wait a sec…

Never mind. :slight_smile:

Melissa

Nothing is wrong with one
it is the perfect boat to start with.

Get one, get out there and enjoy yourself.

My wife and I both have rec kayaks and will never get rid of them.

Cheers,

JackL

Demo a few rec kayak
If you can demo a few different kayaks. Like they said above, it is all the other stuff you need. Don’t get the cheapest paddle, but you don’t need super $$$ ones either. A nice easy trip can feel like a lot of work with a heavy paddle. Dry bag for the camera, lunch … If you don’t have a hatch. Get in a kayak with the pfd on, to get a good feel for the way the pfd fits.

I tried 10 different kayaks before I found the one I liked.

This sport does get into your blood and you can’t do without a good paddle.

Not really the boat in the end

– Last Updated: Mar-24-06 8:25 AM EST –

The boat is only part of the equation. What the paddler ends up deciding they want to do is the biggest determinant, and it is impossible to gauge that without spending time in boats. Rec boats are the most comfortable start for most because their strong primary stability feels safer to newbies. They also seem related to the most poorly prepared paddlers for immersion or self-rescue, but that isn't the boat's fault. It is because they appeal to many people who paddle assuming they won't ever take a swim.

Yup - a really good paddler can handle a boat in conditions over the boat's design expectations, but that kind of paddling skill doesn't exist in most people starting out in their first rec boat.

As to length - in our experience a change in length of a couple of feet was not significant for big water. It really took getting to and above the 16 ft length to get to a boat that would be efficient over long distances along the coast of Maine. So the Santee should get someone started out as well as a boat a little longer, the biggest noticeable diff between that and the Tarpon may just be how easy it is to keep up with a local paddle group. But we have a guy in our local groups who comes out in an 11 ft Blackwater and puts many of the long boats to shame - he's got a really, really good forward stroke.

I've done rescue practice with someone in a couple of the Hurricane boats, the Santee as well as the next boat up in length. Because of their fairly high decks, these boats tend to be a little tougher for someone to get up on top of via an assisted rescue, though that's been more of an issue for women. And neither of these boats would be prime for skills like rolling because of the volume of water they'd trap, cockpit fit for an average person, deck height etc. The deck rigging is minimal for big water, but if you have the strength to get up there on the Santee it does exist. It's also got to be a much easier job getting that to the water than either of my boats. No reason the boat shouldn't do someone quite nicely as long as they paddle within their limits.

They’re all rec boats, if you think

– Last Updated: Mar-24-06 10:38 AM EST –

about it.

We all use our boats for recreational activities, even those with slick seakayaks. Unless you are making a living out of any boat, or using it for necessary transportation to or from somewhere you have to go, it's recreational. If you are having fun with your boat, paddling safely, there is no reason to worry what anyone else thinks about that.

And remember, even the most high-performance sea kayak is seen as a toy to a sailor.

If you outgrow those Pungos in skill and what you want to do, you can always sell them. A well-maintained kayak of a decent make keeps its value pretty well. But some people might always be happy with a rec boat, and never want to move up in the level of price and skill required to get a sea kayak or another type (like rolling), so it would be dumb for these people to go out and buy a sea kayak as beginners. At any rate, just because you outgrow a boat does not mean it was a mistake to buy it in the first place. That would be like saying it is a mistake to buy a baby his first booties because you know one day he is going to grow up and wear an 11 1/2 extra wide (ok, so I have big feet, esp a guy only 5'9")

If you give up paddling because you found your rec boat too slow compared to other boats, paddling probably wasn't for you anyway. If you can hear people making fun of you for the type of boat you have, you are in too crowded waters. I paddle to get away from the madding crowd, not in it.

Always wear your PFD.

“We all started in Swiftys”

– Last Updated: Mar-24-06 10:54 AM EST –

Not literally true, but many of us had our first kayak experience in Swiftys or the equivalent.

As many have already noted, rec kayaks can be a useful way to find out if you genuinely like paddling. Just be cognizant of conditions and apropriate clothing and equipment.

Rent and borrow
The first time I tried kayaking was at a demo day. The rec boats were tippy to me, the longer sea kayaks impossible in my mind. I liked the big cockpit over the smaller ones that seemed to hem me in and scared the bejesus out of me intially. I didn’t purchase that day, but instead rented various rec boats over a period of two years. Also took some lessons. Went back to a demo day two years later, and lo and behold the rec boats felt too wide, slow to turn and I found the sea kayaks the most fun…so I rented various sea kayaks that summer and the next spring purchased a Boreal Design Fjord. I have had it for two years and love it.

My path to a longer sea kayak involved spending significant time kayaking and taking lessons. While stability is still important to me, I now have confidence that I lacked to start. And the fjord is a stable sea kayak in my opinion.

So my advice…for sure start with rec kayaks…rent if you can because they can be very different to paddle. And take lessons!. By the way, I still like the Dagger Crossover Perception Enduro) which is a bit of an oddball rec kayak for smaller creek and light whitewater. In fact one of these is next on my purchase list.

Jim

Thanks for that info
I appreciate the warnings. I did not know that a rec kayak would change so drastically as conditions worsened.

HECK, DON’T STOP THERE -GET
the Tracer!

Sally (my wife) has one, loves it, after starting out on a Scupper Classic.

It’s a good boat, it’s stable, and it’s fairly quick-overall a pretty nice boat to

PADDLE ON!