What's your favorite sunscreen?

i know that bullfrog works but…
it’s just plain nasty on the skin. it’s also slimy and tough to get off your palms.

most people do not properly understand what spf is and how it’s calculated. here is a quote offering a good explanation:

“January 2005

Experts say that sunscreen ingredients are just starting to catch up with the discovery of how bad UVA rays are, and unless the product contains avobenzone (also called Parsol 1789), titanium dioxide, or zinc oxide, (or Mexoryl SX or Tinosorb outside the U.S.), you’re not protected from UVA.

There are two different types of UV rays in sunlight: UVB light causes surface sunburn, while UVA light penetrates and causes deeper connective tissue damage—even when the skin surface feels cool. UVA light is the culprit for premature aging and cellular damage. With the number of sunscreens on the market, it’s important to know which ones will protect you from both UVB and UVA rays. We turned to the excellent book, “Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me,” by Paula Begoun, as well as reviews by Consumer Reports, Which? Online, Prevention, and Better Homes & Gardens to locate the most complete sunscreens.

Coppertone’s Sport Lotion (*est. $12/4 ounces) sounds like the perfect protection for active folks—the ultra sweatproof formula keeps it out of the eyes and it’s oil-free, without greasy residue that could loosen your handgrip. It’s waterproof, and comes in SPF 15, 30, and 48. However, experts say it doesn’t contain any of the recommended UVA protective ingredients (avobenzone, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, Mexoryl SX, or Tinosorb) that signify a complete sunscreen. Only the gel version, Coppertone’s Sport Sunblock Gel (*est. $7.30/6 ounces) contains avobenzone as a UVA defense.

If you like the other qualities of these Coppertone Sport sunscreens, choose the gel, which comes only in SPF 30; however, experts say UVA protection shouldn’t be an “extra,” but rather a given. Experts say every sunscreen should contain UVA protection, so the gel formula is simply complying with current health standards—not offering anything extra. At least Coppertone labels their products well, and you can easily see which ones contain avobenzone (also called Parsol 1789) by reading the front of the container.

The SPF (sunscreen protection factor) in sunscreen is also frequently misunderstood; many people think that an SPF 30 offers double the protection of an SPF 15. However, experts say SPF 15 blocks 93% of rays, while SPF 30 blocks 97%, only 4% more. SPF ratings higher than 30 don’t offer any further UV protection, and let the same 3% of UV rays through as SPF 30. Further, SPF only blocks UVB rays. For that reason, it’s just as important to look for UVA protection as SPF.

Experts also point out that children’s sunscreens are no different than those for adults, except for added fragrance that can actually irritate kids’ more-sensitive skin. The only beneficial difference to look for is UVA protection with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, since these are less irritating than avobenzone to children’s skin.”

Sunscreen on the forehead – why, how
> Also have learned the hard way to keep the

sunscreen below the eyes and not above helps

a great deal to keep the lotion from getting in

your eyes. The big huge hat should be your

protection above the brow.

Yeah, but you can get quite a bit of sun reflecting off the water, though not as much as from above. Also, not everybody wears a big huge hat (though maybe they should).

I usually apply sunscreen to my forehead and then wipe over it with my palm to thin it out. Since I started doing that, I’ve never had sunscreen run into my eyes. Before that, often.

–David.

Another vote for No-Ad
I use no-ad’s sport/waterproof version and have never had any burns except in places where I forgot to put it on. I have fairly sensitive skin, and it has never caused any rash or pain. No pain that is except when it drips in my eyes. Has anyone ever found a sunscreen that doesn’t burn the eyes when sweat sweeps it into your eye?

-MEAT

Bullfrog - DO NOT use it if you have
a hairy body. It works great, but you have to hurt yourself to getit off. Makes a good depilatory.

Aloe Gator
My kayak shop stocks Aloe Gator primarily for their windsurfing customers but they will gladly share it with the yak folks. This amazing product is not greasy and truly stays on you. In fact, you have to do a little extra scrubbing to get it off during your after paddle shower.

My fair skin cooks easily in the Texas sun but this product has kept me from burning for two seasons in a row.

mikepaddle

bullfrog
BULLFROG GELL was the best for me and I was out In the south fla sun everyday for the whole day.

NOPE
Brian

Sun Screen
Tiki Bar, Oriental, NC

REI System-1 SPF 45
Good bonding base sun screen. As waterproof as any. Not a wax or oil base so your skin breaths just fine and you can sit in a chair with your shirt and pants off and not leave grease marks.

Doesn’t leave you smelling like a pina colada. That’s gotta be worth plenty right there.

No-Ad, too
I use No-Ad, but I prefer the SPF-30 to the SPF-45 - the 45 seems “dry”, so it doesn’t spread and rub in as well. Since the 30 goes on easier, I figure that I do a better job applying it, which might actually give me better protection.

Eye Burn Solution…
I don’t put any sunscreen on my forehead. I let the brim of my hat do the screening there. I get plain old salty sweat in the eyes, but no chemicals. Never had the forehead burn, either.

Something’s wrong here
The Bullfrog I have washes off easily with soap and water.

the best?
Hat, sunglasses, long sleeve silkweight polypro shirt,NoAd on tops of hands, face and neck. Little tube of Bullfrog on pfd.

It makes no sense to attempt layers of lotion on arms for constant exposure. Besides UV there’s just plain old baking in the sun. Long sleeve Patagonia silkweight shirt in hot weather.