where do you attach your anchor?

i don’t really want to spend the money on a trolley system so i was wondering how do you guys attach your anchor line to your kayak?

do you attach a carabiner or such to the bow, or stern, of the craft, then run the line back to the cockpit and tie it off? if you do have it set up for the bow in the above example, how do you change it to the the stern position while out on the water (assuming the craft is too long for you to reach the bow)?

i know it’d be foolish to anchor in fast moving water but even for slow, calm lakes or rivers, any precautions you take to prevent getting tangled up with the line?

At the bow
If you want to anchor from the stern, you’ll need a second anchor. Do not try to move an anchor from the bow to the stern.

Most anchor rigs I’ve seen include a jam cleat or a cam cleat at the cockpit with the line going up through a climbing quality 'biner attached to the bow handle.

You can use large padeyes to run the line through for line control to keep it away from things you store on the front deck. If you do this, make sure to use a line small enough and padeyes large enough that the line can run freely through the padeyes. Also, carry a knife. You want to be able to cut that line faster than you can blink. When you’re anchored and things go bad, they go bad FAST. You need to be able to lose that anchor even faster.

• Big D

What Big D said. But, an anchor
trolley is not a lot of money. Not everyone likes them.

Count me among them
Achor trolleys have a loop that goes over the line so that the line has to run between a pulley and the loop. If the line throws a knot or twist in it and gets hung up there, you’re out of luck because the trolley is almost certainly going to be out of reach.

• Zurf

Haven’t experience that. But, I’m
primarily a lake fishermen and most I know who use a trolley are bay fishermen. The only problem I’ve run into with my trolleys has been a hook stuck in them. On my canoe, I find it of great benefit. As it rests under the rails when not in use, its also out of the way.

Both ends
If you deal with as much wind as we do here in the flat ugly middle of the country, a light anchor off of each end works wonders. I mainly fly fish and if you are anchored from one end you are constantly swinging at the end of a rope trying to control a fly. It is can be very unproductive. It is very easy to hang a couple of pound anchor off of both ends and keep the boat in place. Since I usually do not move far between spots, I often just lift the anchors off the botton and drift or paddle a few yards down the shore to try again. Works well on flat water.

David

Back in the day
when I was using kayaks and anchors I used a carabiner to clip into a pad eye near the cockpit. Tied into the padeye with a quick release loop so I could disconnect in a hurry if needed. Now I’m using canoes and drift anchors. No more hung anchors or unexpected swims.

Due a name change?

anchor system for kayak
Trolley is a good system. Install 2 padeyes- 1 at bow, 1 at stern. Use carabiners attached to small stainless pulleys to attach line from each end(makes trolley removable). Tie round ring halfway down length of line- anchor line threads through here. Pulling on line makes anchor point move from bow to stern, ensuring that no overeaching will be needed to clip and unclip line, as anchor ring will be right next to seat. For an anchor I went to a sporting goods store and bought a 5# dumbell and welded a u bolt to the top of it.

anchors
I like an anchor at each end as some have already mentioned. Here is a link to a few pics of my Shearwater that is rigged. Look about 3/4 way down the page, you’ll see a series of pics.

http://www.texasflyreport.com/forums/thread.aspx?id=103791

Great job on rigging the canoe.
BTW, this is greyloon form TKF. I like the way you set up that bow system. Its a low cost solution, I’m into low cost these days. Don’t know if that would work with my Sandpiper, it has vinyl rails. The Shearwater is on the short list of longer solo canoes I would like to have, but no dealers in Texas and, as kayaks displace canoes more and more, used canoes are getting more difficult to find.

Yep
Trying to decide on a nifty moniker.

Howdy G-Loon
Thanks for the kinds words. It has worked out well. I suspect you can rig up something on the Sandpiper. I can snap of few pics to show how they attach. It is a single bolt, very simple.

Very nice set up
You got that Shearwater tricked out real nice. That’s another solo canoe I’d like to have. I’m thinking of rigging my Prism the same way, only using the 5 lb ankle weights for anchors intead of the dumbells. They seem less likely to hang on bottom debris.

Anchors

– Last Updated: Sep-02-07 12:47 PM EST –

Hmmm, I need to check out those ankle weights, I bet they are even quiter than the rubber coated dumbells. I was stalking redfish yesterday and no matter how careful I raised the anchor it seem s like I would get at least one hull bump. Luckily it wasn't enough to spoke the fish I was after, but I want a steath canoe. Here is a link to a few pics of my efforts.

Duh, for got to add the link.

http://www.texasflyreport.com/forums/thread.aspx?id=104319

Anchor Rigging
I use a braided rope 3/16" and small anchor from the marine store. Anchor off the front center top of boat with line running through guides back to the cock pit. Use a self locking clamp(not sure what they are called) so that you can adjust the anchor with ease. I have never needed to cut the anchor line and don’t plan on it anytime soon. I do retract the anchor quickly if a big fish is on. We fish for Reds in the flats which put up a good fight and will drag the boat around a while. We also put a plastic ball on the end of the anchor cord that keeps the it from going too far. Everything you need can be found at a local marine supply. You can also mount rod holders to the deck.

Nice Rod
and reel. I recently started using a St. Croix noodle rod/spinning reel set up instead of my fly rod. I can get a very decent cast with a beadhead fly. I use the fly rod for surface fishing now. By the way what paddles are you using? One looks to be a carbon and the other has a nice looking wood grip.

Paddles and such

– Last Updated: Sep-06-07 7:04 PM EST –

Howdy Kayakangler. My main paddle is a Zaveral light canoe paddle, 52 cm long and weights in at a whispy 7.5 oz. It is almost too light, the wind will blow it away if you don't set it down below the gunnel. It has proven to be very durable, I am guessing it is 4 years old. The other paddle is a ..........I am drawing a blank at the moment, it'll come to me eventually. It's not Grey Owl, but it is a bent shaft with a tad smaller blade than the Zav.

That rod is my XP 8 wt, it is a great rod, just wished I got it in a 4 pc, though the 2 pc was on sale for about 1/2 price. I picked up that reel at a local sporting goods dealer, he decided not to carry the 3000 series reels, so I got another nice deal. Definitely a nice fly rig. My favorite is my 6 wt, I notice a real difference in the weight between the two rigs, especially after casting all day. A 6 wt can be out gunned by those reds if they have room to run and are big enough.