where to go??

need some new ideas please- where to go for a 3-5 day flatwater canoe/sea kayak trip within a day’s drive of east-central Georgia. Will leave sometime after April 15th. Wanting to camp along the way, inland river, ripples and up to Class II ok, ripples and Class I even better!

thoughts? suggestions?

thanks

rnc

Weiss Lake (nm)

GA Paddling
I use to have a GA Guidebook which listed just about all the paddling in GA. Go to the GA website to order one or stop by your nearest Tourist/Welcome Center. You’ll also find some individual area maps (such at Altamaha River) which might be of interest to you.

Any day on the water is a great day!

Where to go
I’ve canoed the Suwannee from the Okefenokee to Live Oak FL. Very nice river. Also canoed on the St. Mary’s, and Satilla rivers in the past, all good canoeing\camping rivers, with plenty of sandbar campsites. Have been looking at the Ocmulgee and Oconee Rivers, looks like they also have good potential especially when other rivers previously mentioned may be to low.

Great Rivers

– Last Updated: Jan-14-08 1:39 PM EST –

The Ocmulgee and Altamaha rivers are excellent choices unless you have paddled them. I have paddled both from end to end if you need info.

The Coosa and Alabama Rivers (which I just finished) are also excellent choices.

The 109 mile Apalachicola River is another great choice.

Camping in difficult on the Etowah and the Chattahoochee but can be done.

Paddlin' on
Richard