WHICH BELL CANOE?

-- Last Updated: Jun-16-10 5:32 PM EST --

NEED HELP WITH A CANOE RECOMMENDATION; I WOULD LIKE TO TRY A BELL, BUT DO NOT KNOW WHICH MODEL TO SELECT. MY HUSBAND AND I WOULD LIKE TO FISH ON OHIO'S SMALL INLAND LAKES AND SHALLOW RIVERS. WHILE I AM AN EXPERIENCED PADDLER AND APPRECIATE TUMBLEHOME, I THINK WE WOULD BOTH APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT PADDLES EASILY. I WANT THE BOAT TO FEEL BALANCED FOR FISHING, MANUEVERABLE ENOUGH FOR RIVERS. TOGETHER WE WEIGH 350 LBS AND DO NOT ANTICIPATE EXTRA GEAR; I DON'T WANT THE BOAT TO HAVE TO BE LOADED TO PADDLE WELL. INITIALY I AM CONSIDERING A NORTHSTAR BECAUSE OF THE WIDTH BUT READ THAT SOME FELT IT UNSTABLE. CAN YOU HELP? PS I HATE OILCANNING!

You could go down to a Morningstar
to get a firmer feel. But I would go for the Northstar. You’ll feel comfortable in it quickly enough.

I haven’t heard of Bells oilcanning. The composite bells have foam cores in the bottom. The Royalex models would be less firm.

N Star
The NorthStar is a pocket rocket. Anyone within your weight range claiming a feeling of instability needs surgery on their inner ear[s].

Try BlackGold, much firmer, faster and tougher than their Kev-Lite laminate.

Bells
I’ve got an RX Morningstar – very stable and maneuverable, but not the most efficient hull. (I’ve read that the composite version is a bit quicker) It’s been used for everything from solo to two adults + two 80-lb. dogs, and served well. I’ve been out in whitecap conditions and felt secure.

But I hope to replace it with a Northstar. The load/waterline ratings are almost identical, and I’d happily trade a bit of stability for more efficiency.

Try both if you can. If we all liked the same things it’d be a boring world.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2101526350087581313pZzkzX

seliga tripper ?
I would think that teh Seliga tripper or the Prospector would be a better fit for you than the Northstar, and faster than the Morningstar. Assuming you find a dealer who can provide a test paddle, do give those a try - you may like them best as a fishing platform.

Bell Canoes
So nice to see someone looking for a recommendation on a good canoe. My wife and I have rented almost everthing over the years and have settled on the Bells. They are all great boats and beautiful as well. The Northstar is a great boat loaded or unloaded. Empty, it is a great boat to paddle. We felt it was a little quicker than the Prospector or Tripper. Have fun picking a boat.

Some nice Bells, Clipper’s Tripper too

– Last Updated: Jun-23-10 1:55 PM EST –

There is also Clipper's Tripper (17'6")...haven't read many negative reviews....fwiw.

http://www.clippercanoes.com/boat_specs.php?model_id=105