Which Epic is right for me?

23.5 is chunky for a surfski. there was a time when 19" was chunky.

Regarding a new paddle, as a practical matter I would not recommend a wing and suggest that it would be better to learn your new boat first and buy a wing later if desired. Wings do require a little different technique that can be challenging for some people.

You live in an area that has both Epic and Stellar dealers?

@semdoug said:
You live in an area that has both Epic and Stellar dealers?

Technically yes. I have 2 Epic dealers near me, one 15 min away. The one super close by also has some Stellar boats but not the S14S which would be the competitor (albeit more expensive one) to the v5.

Agreed with doug - a wing is probably harder to learn than a Euro blade. If you’re not trying to maximize distance or speed a lightweight euro blade will serve you well.

23.5" beam is definitely chunky for a ski, but a true chunky rec kayak is 28"+. Also, the V5 or other entry level skis have a far, far superior pedigree that makes it a much faster boat than its dimensions elude. Although its wide, it can still hold its own in big stuff. You’d never see a crappy 24" rec boat doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkkAot7hImg

@theSHAH said:

@string said:
I don’t think you will find a true entry level ski to be chunky at all.

I mean, relative to high-end race skis like the V14 that’s under 17" wide, the v5’s 23.5" starts sounding a bit chunky for a surfski, does it not?

I’m sure.

For me, my Epic Relaxed Tour full carbon with burgundy shaft is all about my paddling comfort and pleasure. My other paddles don’t get used. This is their only model that I have enough experience with to comment on.

The Epic V6 is 23” and quite efficient, no resemblance to clunky for someone coming from ref kayaks.

Get an adjustable length paddle for the most versatility. I use a 205 - 215cm in my kayaks and a 215 - 225cm in my solo canoes.