Which GPS?

Looking for input on a multi-purpose portable GPS. One that will be useful in the kayak and the car. Thanks.

Thats easy…Garmin
You just have to buy xtra software depending on what kind of use you’re planning.

You should also be able to search this forum as I know this question has been raised previously.

good luck

Even easier…
Magellan. I have an eXplorist with MapSend software hat has been pretty nicec to use.

Garmins are pretty good too.

Do some research too…lot of different mmodels out with lot of different capabilities.

Get a Garmin
The only thing I have against Garmin is they have too many models. So if you buy one it will probably be obsolete in a couple of years. The software will still work in whatever model you choose. FishHawk

garmin
I would go with a 76 series if you plan on using it in the kayak. The 76 series models float if dropped in the water. Otherwise, choose one with features that match what you’re looking for.

I am personally going with a 76CSx.

Agree
Waterproof and floating is the way to go.

None can do both well
Garmin 76CSx is pretty decent for marine use. For road, you need to load City Navigator and then the marine map will be wiped out. The unit does not annouce turns as the expensive auto models do. It only beeps showing a written message. Neither can you type in destinations with a stylus. Instead, a rocker allows you to enter one letter at a time. The sensitivty is impressive. You can keep the unit on your lap or in your shirt pocket when you are driving. You won’t lose satellite reception driving around tall buildings in New York City. A fun thing to do is to take it with you on an airplane. In a widnow seat, you can follow the flight path and keep track of the speed.

I stand by my advice in this thread.
And the thread answers your question from many posters.

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=507367

mNy years woth a gps map 76
while ar 8 mb it’s no supercomputer it works for me at sea. On land I use mapquest. Travelled to lots of places in the northern hemisphere, never been lost unless I was impaired and even then only once.

voice directions are very convenient on land for those who like that kind of thing, and I know of know portable marine gps that can do that.

my older Magellen
gps 310 locks on faster than my new garmin gps 60. Found this kind of surprising.

Garmin 76CSx
I have the 76CSx for kayaking and hiking and it works well for those purposes. As a previous poster noted, it’s not really designed for automotive use. I have a Garmin 2730 for use on the road.

coming soon Magellan Crossover GPS

– Last Updated: Nov-12-06 6:38 PM EST –

I've never owned a GPS but like you am considering one for driving and outdoor activies.

Magellan calls this the worlds first crossover GPS. It also has voice features. Not out yet though.

Does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=391

Try this on for size.
Garmin GPSMAP76CX for one outstanding price.

I recommend both this GPS, and this store at the link I’ve provided.

128mb changable Micro-card give virtually unlimited memory, and versatility. Plus if you are concerned with one set of software effecting another you can simply change the software cards as needed.

This is a great store. I’ve ordered from them many times, and highly recommend them. They have excellent, fast, service, at the lowest prices. I urge anyone looking to check out their models/prices on handheld Marine VHF radios as well.

http://consumersmarine.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=110377&aID=33A

Note: The MAP price stated is not the real price. Click the MAP box on the right for the real price.

Try this on for size!!! Garmin’s Suggested Retail on this GPS is well over $400. At this store it’s only $323.32 right now, and you get a $50 rebate to boot.

Total= Garmin GPSMAP76CX for only $273.32. And since I just bought one to replace my old Garmin I can tell you that the shipping was only $8.07.

Don’t think you’re going to find a more well rounded unit for what you’re needing for a better price. However, if you do, please let us know. This is how we learn.

Splash

Also…
No matter how much you pay for, or how strong the claim for ANY electronic device being “Waterproof”, be smart, and invest a few extra bucks for a quality waterproof pouch. And test the pouch with something worthless inside, or empty before each trip. I also strongly recommend buying absorbent packets to put inside the pouch as well. But do NOT subject the device in a pouch to direct sunlight because of greenhouse effect.

Just think of it as insurance. Plus it will keep your unit from getting scratched, and beat up so bad. And when the pouch gets too rough, you can just replace the pouch, and still have a like new GPS to slip it into.

Splash

eTrex Lengend Cx
Most people on this forum seem to prefer the Map76 but I’ve used that for work but own the eTrex Legend. I prefer the Legend because of its size (one hand use is convenient) and the toggle stick is much easier to use than the rocker pad on the Map76. The Legend has all of the functionality of the Map 76 and is considerably cheaper (about half teh price usually).

ditto…
worth every penny.

Garmin GPS60 CSx
I like my Garmin GPS60CS. The current version is the CSX. Runs for up to 20 hours on 2 AA batteries vs 8 hours for the Magellan. It doesn’t have voice, but it beeps when you get near a waypoint. I use its routing features on my bicycle and in the car. If I take it in my kayak its only to get an idea of where I’ve been and distance and speed. Oh, and the 60CS is water resistant to IPX-7.

Another Biased Input
I wouldn’t swap my Old Magellan 330M for all the other GPS’s (except for the SportsTrak). It has the MapSends program which allows me the luxury of downloading detailed area maps or just use the generic US map (with major roads) without the details. Oh yeah, I can go from street to marine with just the flick of a switch. And, I can easily download routes and waypoints to create my own maps. With the optional power cord I use it in the car. Too bad they no longer make it. SportsTrak is closest too it.

Now for the unbiased part: Check out www.travelbygps.com. Lots of unbiased info on all types of GPS and programs too.

“Any day on the water is a great day”

Cal

This looks like the ticket
I am still unclear on the process of switching from road use to paddle use for many systems; it seems too cumbersome. But this “crossover” appears to be designed just for that purpose. We’ll have to wait until January to see it.

Thanks

software
On a Garmin GPS, (especially the x models with removable memory chips), you certainly CAN load multiple base maps onto the GPS at the same time and toggle between them. You have to load all of them at the same time, however. You cannot load one and then load another without the first one getting overwritten.

Furthermore, with a Garmin, at least, you can create your own 1:24k (or better) topos and other base maps for free…with free software. I found a great description of how to do it on the geocaching forums (www.geocaching.com). I do not know if the same procedure will work for a Magellan.

Additionally, Magellan has an awful reputation for customer service. While both Magellan and Garmin GPSr’s have plenty of bugs in the firmware, Garmin is very good at issuing firmware updates to resolve those bugs. Magellan…not so much. Regardless of receiver features, I would choose Garmin any day over Magellan. Lowrance is trying to make a strong push to pry market share from the other two companies, but I have not heard anything about their customer service or tech support.