Which handheld Garmin GPS has

Which handheld Garmin GPS has color and the largest screen?

The MAP 60 and MAP76CS
You may also want to check out this brand new Magellan too, the Crossover GPS. I was kind of waiting for it to come out but ended up getting a MAP76CSx a few days before Magellan finally released this model. I went with the Garmin becaause of all the positive feedback here. But, the new Magellan has a bigger screen.

http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=391&prodID=1753

Garmin SPSMAP 60CSx

– Last Updated: Feb-02-07 9:54 PM EST –

I was waiting for the Magellan Crossover too. I just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx instead.

If you think about it, the GPSMAP 60CSx is a hand-held GPS that has nice routing capabilities, but the Crossover is a vehicle GPS that has topo map capability.

The real deciding factors for me were

(1) A preference for Garmin's good record of performance

(2) The Crossover does not have UTM coordinates, which I need to use the GPS with paper maps - a deal-breaker for me

(3) The Crossover only has a rechargable battery, which isn't compatible with long-term outdoor use. The GPSMAP 60CSx uses two AA's.

(4) I like the helical antenna on the GPSMAP better than the patch antenna on some other units, though the Sirf chipset makes more difference than the antenna.

By the way, the GPSMAP 60CSx has the Sirf chipset - absolutely amazing ability to gather a signal even from deep inside my house. The Crossover has it too.

Thanks, I needed that.

Garmin
I am on my third Garmin in 17 years and absolutely love em. The 2nd and 3rd Garmins were both the 60CSX model and it has proven itself both tough and reliable. The 1st 60 I had was vaporized in a truck I was in early last summer which took a high speed tumble down a ravine. I promptly replaced it with the same model and use mine about 3 or 4 times a week. I even use nonGarmin software developed for foreign areas that Garmin doesnt cover and the interface works flawlessly. I have not exposed mine to salt water directly but use a GPS drybag. The AA batteries (2) seem to last about 10 hours of continuous use.

Color Garmin

– Last Updated: Feb-03-07 12:33 PM EST –

The color Garmin units are designated with a C in the model.

As far as handhelds, the color Garmin units are:
eTrex Vista CX
eTrex Legend CX
eTrex Venture CX
Map 60C(S)X
Map 76C(S)X

The 76 is the largest unit, but I think it's screen size is roughly the same as the 60 line. Both of their screens are larger than the eTrex units.

The 76CX and 60CX units are absolutely amazing in their ability to hold a signal lock in the toughest conditions. Tree cover, no problem. Surrounded by skyscrapers, piece of cake. My 60CSX even gets a lock in my basement.