WHICH KAYAK IS BEST FOR ME

HI, I NEED SOME GUIDANCE. I AM 68 YRS OLD, BEEN BOATING/SAILING/RACING/CRUISING SINCE 1962. I HAD A HIP REPLACEMENT IN 2/06 AND A STEM CELL TRANSPLANT IN '01. I AM NOW FEELING BETTER WISH TO 'GET BACK ON THE WATER. I ALSO HAVE SEVERE NEUROPATHY ON THE FEET AND MY BALANCE IS LESS THAN OPTIMAL.

I FEEL, AT THIS POINT THE WAY TO BE ON THE WATER WOULD BE VIA A KAYAK, AS LIGHT IN WEIGHT AS POSSIBLE IN ORDOR TO STORE, TRANSPORT AND LAUNCH FROM VAIOUS BEACHES AND OTHER SMALL CRAFT LAUNCH SITES.

I’M NOT SURE WITH TYPE OF CRAFT WOULD BE BEST OVERALL: SOT OR SIT-IN.

I HAVE TRIED A FRIEND’S PERCEPTION-SONOMA 10.0 AND 35LBS. I FOUND THE CRAFT GAVE A DISTINCT FELING OF LATERAL INSTABILITY WHICH WAS UNEVENTFUL AFTER A SHORT PADDLE. ENTRY AND EXIT WAS A BIT AWKWARD, BUT EXPECTED.

I’M NOW THINKING OD A SOT WHICH MAY BE EASIER TO USE(?). I TRIED TWO CRAFT, VENUS10 AND VENUS11, BOTH DESIGNED FOR THE FEMALE PADDLER, YET LIGHT IN WEIGHT 40LBS MAX.

I WOULD GRATLY APPRICATE COMMENTS, GUIDANCE IN CHOOSING A CRAFT BEST SUITED TO MY NEEDS. THANKS!

First, turn off Caps Lock
On the net that is shouting. Next, exactly what kind of water, under what kind of conditions do you want to paddle? I am two years younger than you and paddle white water and sometimes sea kayak. I know others our age who are happy fishing and taking pictures. No one can answer your question without knowing your objectives.

Best kayak for me
Hi Dr_Disco, Thank you for your reply. It’s appreciated. I stand corrected. No cap locks for me.

I plan to use a kayak in bays, mostly protected, ie: Long Island Sound NY, Jamaica Bay, NY. Also creeks and slow moving rivers. Not sure if whitewater and surf is in the future, but as my experience broadens I may want to at least give it a try (?). I will also fish and observe nature in those quiet areas described.

easier to use?
Friend,

SOT’s are easier to get yourself on and off of. SINKs are easier to paddle in rough conditions, and for the most part, lighter (easier) to get on and of the transport vehicle.

Test paddle shamelessly. Pick 'em up, try loading them on your car. Try anything that you can. Look for Demo Days at local paddle shops or events on paddling websites.

The paddle boat world is one of compromises, there is no one boat to do it all. Find the one you like, to do what you like.

T

See if you can find…
…a local paddling club. Most paddlers are all too happy to let people try their boats.