Which Kayak to Choose?

more options
You may also consider a folding kayak, specifically Feathercraft Wisper. It is a high quality piece, a good roller per others, maybe not as fast as a composite hardshell but adequate, and much more versatile and easier to travel with. It doesn’t have as much storage capacity as those that have been mentioned by others, but unless you travel heavy, it should be adequate with a 300lb limit. I have a Kahuna, which is wider, shorter and slower, that I use in conditions similar to what you describe. If buying today, I would go the Wisper route. I also added a hardshell for bigger water/speed a year later. FWIW

notiones,

– Last Updated: Apr-29-06 6:48 PM EST –

In your intial post you mention that you want great 'secondary' stability. In your speed 1st post you mention that you want to be able to stop and relax if you see something interesting--typically 'primary' stability. I think that generally you won't find a boat that does both of these well. Typically, there's some type of compromise in a boat's design between what most folks call 'primary' and 'secondary' stability. You may find yourself deciding between a boat that you can instantly be relaxed in ('primary' stability), but that may not encourage you to grow your skillset and a boat that you don't feel relaxed in right away (likely less 'primary' but more 'secondary' stability) that will force you to learn balance and improve your skillset.

You also say you want speed. Do you mean all out speed or efficiency? I'm thinking you mean a boat that's efficient at cruising speeds from reading your description of the type of paddling you say you intend to do.

If you intend to grow your skillset as a paddler and challenge youself towards rougher conditions, etc., you may want to consider a boat that is narrow and had less 'primary' stability. Time in the seat and improving your skillset will likely make a boat like this feel quite stable. You'll 'earn' that feeling of 'primary' stability this way. Typically, a narrower boat will roll easier.

You'll have to decide if you want a retracable skeg or a rudder system. (There's a debate for you...) You might consider opting for the skeg as a skeg may help you to develop your skills in boat handling a bit more thorougly. If you just drop the rudder whenever you want to make the boat go where you want it to go, you may not develop good boat handling skills and when push comes to shove, you may not have the skills you need to deal with a situation. However, rudders are nice for putzing around and that kinda sounds like what you want to do.

There are numerous boats out there that would fit the bill. If you want airtight (another debate) hatches, consider Valley Canoe Products/Valley Sea Kayaks (VCP/VSK). If you want boats that are easier to reentry, consider the 'British' designs with their typically low sterns such as the Necky Chatams, VCP/VSKs, Nigel Dennis Kayaks, Impex, Nigel Fosters and perhaps the Wilderness Systems Tempests series. However, typically these boats are not known for their high primary stability--one thing you seem to want. In other words, they aren't like 32 inch wide double kayaks.

Every boat design is a compromise of a number of attributes. Your going to have to decide what's most important to you. All out speed or cruising efficiency? 'Primary' or 'secondary' stability? Easy to reenter (typcially a low stern 'British' design) or holds tons of camping gear? Etc., etc...

It's pretty difficult for someone in your position (my interpretation of your position) to know what they want. Demo as many boats as you can before you buy, but you may buy one boat and soon thereafter sell it and buy another that fits your style as you learn your style and learn what you want to do with this purchase.

Good luck.

Demo not an option
I wish I could demo a bunch of boats, but time doesn’t seem to be my friend right now and what is available for me to rent is quite tame.

As far as primary vs. secondary stability, I believe secondary to be the important one. I will learn to be comfortable in whatever I get. I am not worried about that at all. As mentioned before, I tried the Carolina and Specter and they were completely stable and this was my first experience in a kayak. I tried to tip both by rocking hard side to side and neither ever felt like it would tip over. Maybe I wasn’t doing it right. At any rate, I determined right then and there that I would grow out of either of these very quickly.

Just before I made the initial post I bought an Ocean Kayak sit-on-top for recreation such as fishing, so my next purchase really needs to be something to challenge me. And something I can use to develop into a competent kayaker.

Thanks
I ordered a Necky Chatham 16 today. I want to thank everyone that put in their two cents. It really was a big help and I read each post carefully. Based upon all of the feedback and suggestions, I think the Necky will be a good fit and will help me develop my skills.

Now I get to start shopping for a stitch and glue. Very cool.