Which kayak would be faster?

I should start by explaining that I’m not usually too concerned about speed. But I already have a ww kayak, a couple of “puttering around” kayaks, and now I think I want a speedy kayak, just for exercise and covering more of the lake faster. Also for being able to keep pace on the group paddles.

I have a Riot Evasion which I like very much, but it’s not particularly fast, or maybe it’s just me.

I know that in theory, a longer kayak is faster (well, waterline length anyway). But from my limited demo experience with composites, which is what I’m looking at, it’s hard for me to objectively tell what’s faster.

My upper body strength has always been poor; I’m working on it but I’m never going to be strong there. I think because of that, sometimes it feels like the 14-15 footers are faster than the 17 footers to me. When I get up around 17’, I feel like I’m expending a lot of energy “pushing” the boat and can’t ever get it up to its intended top speed. And I get exhausted more easily.

That’s my perception anyway, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this - the phenomenon of shorter actually being faster (assuming similar hull configuration and beam).

I’d like to get some of your thoughts on this plus recommendations on a nice composite kayak in the 15’ range. So far my favorite is the Seda Atajo (or Starlet). Depth of no more than 13.5" seems to work best for me, and I’m not terribly fond of Greenland style kayaks - low profile is better.

Thanks,

Donna

QCC Q600X? (NM)

Ooooohhhh
The QCC’s are nice, for sure. And I’ve heard they’re fast. That one’s about 16.5’ - also nice and narrow - but I couldn’t find the weight of it on the website. I liked the one with the 15’ length but the width is 24" which is wider than I wanted. Good suggestion and I will keep it in mind.

A quick aside, Angstrom, I was chatting with someone from p-net in e-mail the other day and we were comparing notes on the most helpful (and most unhelpful/truculent) people here on p-net and we agreed you are one of the best resources here, and it seems you are always willing to share your knowledge and be pleasant about it. I think you were the first one (a few years ago) to explain to me why I shouldn’t be using my rudder to steer. Because of that commentary, I have developed much better paddling technique and haven’t been rudder-dependent for a few years now. I still like having a rudder, but use it appropriately now (only in a stiff wind when the boat’s starting to weathercock).

Just thought you might be interested to know your efforts are appreciated.

Something else to consider
is the weight of the kayak. I find my 32 lbs. kayak to be much easier to accelerate and keep at a high speed than my 55 lbs. kayak. Paddling a light weight kayak is what I enjoy unless I’m in waves and rocks.

weight
Should I consider kevlar over fiberglass for the weight reduction? Do you think it’s worth the extra dollars, or are there other benefits to going with kevlar? I was thinking of getting fiberglass, but could be persuaded otherwise.

My wife paddled and raced QCC 600
for a year before realizing that it was just too long for her.

She switched to a “baby” QCC which is 15’-5" and 21" wide and has been a happier paddler ever since.

She can paddle it faster and for longer distances than she did in the QCC.

Cheers,

JackL

SEDAs are FAST w/LITTLE weight
I didn’t read most of any of any of the posts, but I CAN say that the KEVLAR SEDAs are FAST kayaks with light women in them. Because of your light weight, there’s very little hull in the water, thus less wetted-surface and less friction.

FAST. This includes the Vita, yours, and the Swift.

Glenn

Aha! Q10X
http://www.qcckayaks.com/kayaks/model.asp?model=q10x

Thanks!
I’m happy to pass along what other folks have shared with me along the way.

She was back and forth with Phil for
about a year on the design, and had a lot of input on the cockpit size, and lowering the front and rear decks.

She tried to get them to make it 2 inches narrower, but Phil said no one would buy it at 19 inches wide.

I don’t think there is another kayak at that size and design that can compare to it, ( I have to add “that’s just my take though” so the “experts” won’t jump all over me!)

Cheers,

JackL

Seda on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SEDA-GYPSY-KAYAK_W0QQitemZ150051924122QQihZ005QQcategoryZ36122QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

They are light.

QCC weight
You wrote: “…- but I couldn’t find the weight of it on the website.”

Click on “info and pricing” for any model, you’ll see the weight info.

paddle the lightest
People with several boats often paddle the lightest. Used kevlar can be super deal. Speed is based on solid footing and as your right blade goes in water, your right knee is bent and the straightening of your right leg brings the blade back. It is called lower the source of the force. Legs are stronger. Make sure the blade is in the water before you bring it back. AS a drill, try getting your pinkie wet before you bring the blade back. The other common mistake is taking too long a stroke. Bury the blade in the water, let your leg and lower body bring the blade back and then again bury the blade for a stroke on the other side. Hope this helps!

Rumour
The Current Design Rumour designed by Nigel Foster is a very fast little boat, and in fiberglass weighs in the mid 40s. It’s not a boat you would sit around and eat your lunch in, but it will move.

QCC should have listened to her
I understand their read on the market, but how many Q10x are they selling anyway?

A Q10x at 19" beam - would be a sweet performing hull for a smaller paddler. Be hard to keep up with them in most other sea kayaks.

Test paddling…
Donna, there will be an on water demo near Bloomington, Indiana in May. J. L. Waters is in downtown Bloomington. They also have Monday night paddles in the summer. You can call and ask them to bring a boat that you are interested in. I don’t paddle kayaks, so am not familiar with the boats and brands they carry. Shoot them an email for info. Here is their web site.

http://www.jlwaters.com/index.html

Pat2

Thanks swordfish
Now I see it.

Hello Pat 2!
Nice to hear from you again. I will certainly check that out.