Which kayak?

Anyone see anything wrong with fishing from a SINK? I am looking for a kayak for light touring and occasional fishing. I’ve tested a bunch of kayaks and really liked how the Necky Manitou 13 handled. The only potential downside is that the cockpit is not quite as roomy as a Pungo, not that it is exactly small. The Pungo has a huge cockpit, but doesn’t fit me as well and certainly doesn’t handle as good as the Manitou. I will be fishing/paddling in the bays of the Florida Gulf coast.

Manitou cockpit dimensions 34.5 in x 16.25 in.

Anybody have advice one way or the other?

If yoiu are comfortable and that’s the
best boat for your needs, go with it. Some think you have to have a SOT for bay fishing, but lots of folk fish from Pungos and Loons in bays all over, especially in colder climes than Florida. I think that’s what the Inuits used, right?

Tons of people do
I know a LOT of people who fish from SinKs, myself included. SinKs and SOTs each have their advantages. Right now, for the ledgy rivers without much water in them that I fish now, the SOTs on the market aren’t well suited. The ledges will smack holes into the front of exposed scupper holes. SinKs, by and large, slide over the same ledges.

The biggest advantage I see for SinKs is the ability to use the interior space more effectively. The biggest advantage I see for SOTs is ease of getting on and off enhancing the opportunity for using the kayak as a transportation device between wading spots.

You can do either with either kind of boat. It’s just an ease of use sort of thing.

• Big D

I am a sit-in kayakfisherman. While I
paddle a lot, its to fish. My kayak is an Old Town Loon 138. A bit heavy, but I’d be willing to take the thing into the bay any day. In fact, plan on doing so as soon as I get my new fishing license with the saltwater stamp.

No problem

– Last Updated: Aug-26-06 6:00 PM EST –

I've fished from my 22" wide Avocet, and other folks fish from sea kayaks. You just have to pay attention to where the pull is, and get used to staying centered and using your hips.

If you're going to spend more time paddling than fishing, get the boat you enjoy paddling.

With the Necky, its a fairly wide kayak,
so most bay fish aren’t going to pull hard enough to flip you. You may, though, get a good tow from a red or drum.

LL Stingray
If you’ve looked at the Pungo seriously, you might also want to look at the Liquid Logic Stingray, available in both a 12 and a 14 foot model. It’s got similar lines and specs to those of the Pungo and it also has 2 rod holders, 2 drink holders and a tray molded into the area just behind the seat. This is a standard feature so there are no extra charges for them. Check the Liquid Logic website for pics and the Product Review section for more personal comments (Liquid Logic’s site has some of these same reviews posted on their blog as well).

Sounds like a takeoff on a Walden
fisherman model.

I’ll second that…
I have the 14’ Stingray and it works well for me. I added an anchor trolley, and paddle keepers on both sides. So far I’ve only fished on lakes, but I have no doubt that it will work fine on rivers, too (better than the 17’ Coleman canoe I used to float with).

perception acadia
i geared mine out with two flush rod holders and a scotty base(for my fly rod)…it’s pretty spacious as well…can hold my gear cases between my legs and I have everything right there…take off the back hatch and put in a bucket for either bait or a catch

works fantastic on the ocean and in pond or river!

try the NEW loon 138…
i have both the old and new. i plan on using mine to fish for stripers in kerr resevoir, va. the new one has a smaller cockpit ( you can put a skirt on it for rain or colder wx ), a rear hatch with a foam bulkhead to keep stuff dry and bungies front and back. at 13’ 8" its big enough for bigger water and has great initial stability. i put two rod holders in back and one in front. give it a paddle; i think you will like it for what you want…mikey

ps; the new seat is great!

why not
If you feel comfortable in the boat and it fits your needs. I fish from a sea kayak and used to own an SOT all have good and bad points. In FL the bad points tend to be magnified in the winter fishing. I feel more comfortable and stay dry in my sea kayak especially when fishing in the florida gulf coast during the winter months. You can always wear waterproof breathable pants/jacket but they tend to be too hot for the air temp down here past 9 in the morning but the water is still cold. In the summer the SOT is king so you may need both.

The Houston area has the same kind of
weather as S. Florida in the summer, hot and humid. But, I find my Loon to be very comfortable in the summer, my legs don’t get hot, just the parts of my body the sun hits. I often think the so-called disadvantages SOT fisherman state when talking about sit-insides vs SOT’s for fishing are myths perpetuated by those who have only fished from SOT’s. Of course, I’ve not fished from and SOT, so have no comparison.

WaveWalk Kayak
Check out the WaveWalk at WaveWalk.com.

Check out the different pages and you will see what this boat is capable of in all waters even the ocean for surf playing. Want to stand in your boat while fishing, no problem. www.WaveWalk.com

I purchased one in April of this year and have had 6 enjoyable months of experimenting with it in different conditions and activities. Love it.

I’m a 5’5" and 125 lb. female and can get this boat around with no help. I think of it as my do everything kayak.

Wave Walk
Kayakingnorma, I just now visted the wavewalk.com site and read up on these innovative designs. This design has really captured my imagination, as I don’t really like the idea of being seated in a confined position low on the water for extended periods of time.

Years ago I used to kayak fish out of an old 15’ home-made copy (sort of) of an Easy Rider tandem touring yak in Puget Sound, and I would sit up on a cushion on the deck with my feet in the center cargo well, with a 5-gal bucket in the rear seat hole and my net and other rod stuck in the same hole projecting to the rear.

This worked pretty well for me, as I was renting a waterfront cabin at the time, and just fished the tide changes, usually no longer than 2 hours in the water, and no more than a mile from my cabin. I could lower my carcass down into the hold, sitting on my cushion, to paddle back home against any wind and chop.

I’ve been researching heavily the past few days, and really like the Wilderness Systems “Ride,” as I like to stand to fly cast, as well as the new Heritage “Ultimate 12” for the same reason. The heaviest I would go is 60# max.

This Wave Walk looks like the real deal as the best paddle craft for fishing ease and comfort. I think it weighs in at just under 60#. This is thinking outside the box! I want one!

So, Kayakingnorma, if you would please update us on your experience with yours, I, for one, would really appreciate it!

Coastalcut, if you are looking at the
Ride built up until last year, you’ll love the new ride. Its more stable even than the old one, paddles well, and has a tankwell that will take a huge cooler. In fact, you could probably fit both the ubiquitous milk crate SOT kayak fishermen love, as well as a nice size cooler. When I checked the other day, Confluence still hadn’t updated the WS site to include the new Ride.