Which Low-Cost Inflatable?

Summer can really fly by up here in northern Michigan so I hope to buy one an inflatable kayak this coming week.

I’ve narrowed the choice down to two beginner’s boats – the Sea Eagle 330 Deluxe package and the Sevylor Tahiti Pro (with comparable equipment added).

Both seem popular and nearly identical in final cost, which I don’t really want to go beyond at this point. And despite mostly positive reviews, each seems to have a negative or two.

My biggest concern about the SE 330 is a complaint about loose, unsecurable seats. I’ve come across no similar gripe about the Tahiti.

On the other hand, I’ve concluded that a skeg(s) is really important, and would just as soon not have to add that to the Tahiti (in addition to the paddles and other goodies that come with the 330’s Deluxe kit).

Anything you could share to help me past these two issues would be dearly appreciated.

P.S. I’ll be using the boat mostly in fairly calm inland lakes and to a far lesser extent in non-white water rivers. I probably won’t be able to resist taking it after some experience at least once into the close off-shore waters of Lake Michigan.

Yes.
Our problem is, the folks on this board seldom buy or use inflatables, especially low end inflatables. My only thought is that there’s probably a way to stabilise the seats in the Sea Eagle.

Have you…
…checked out this site?

http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/

That Sevylor looks like it would be a slug on flat water and more than a handful on a windy day. And ditto the Sea Eagle.

This weekend I was up on Lake Erie and was talking to a guy that was showing off his Jensen racing canoe, which appeared to be made of carbon fiber and weighed almost nothing. He found it on Craig’s List for $300.

If he could find something like that for $300, I’d bet that you might be able to find a used boat of some sort that would meet your financial constraints and provide, maybe, a better long term value.

Remember you did refer to those two inflatables as “beginner’s boats”, which they are. If you take to paddling, you would likely want to move beyond them after your first season.

Personally I’m saving my money for a midsized Wally 70 which is one of WallyPower’s more modest offerings:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ-BdWlhj7k

“beginner” kayak?
IMHO cheap inflatables should NOT be considered “beginner kayaks.” This is like calling a golf cart a “beginner automobile.” Yes, anyone can sit in a golf cart and poke along in it but it certainly does not teach you the real skills of operating a car nor would it be safe to take a golf cart out on a highway.

Same with cheap blow-up craft – the only thing they will teach you about true kayaking is frustrate you to the point where you realize you need a real boat that will paddle easily and track straight. I’ve no doubt there will be someone on this forum who will get indignant about my statements and swear by their Sevylors, But I have personally paddled them and many other models of kayak and stand by my opinion. You may feel differently, but I still strongly suggest you get familiar with what you are thinking of buying before you spend the money.

Cheap inflatable have their uses – floating or fishing near shore in calm ponds or drifting down low-flow streams. They are only a step above pool toys and should NEVER be taken offshore in coastal waters like the Great Lakes. They are difficult to paddle with any speed or in a straight direction and they tend to catch wind easily. Many people are swept offshore and into dangerous situations in these boats every year.

There are high end inflatable kayaks which are definitely sea worthy but these will run you from $750 to over $3000. If you need something that knocks down or inflates at a reasonable price but will be more like a true kayak and safer for more serious water, look at the Advanced Elements kayaks or the Pakboat Puffin series (google them for site info.)

If you really want to learn to kayak and really enjoy the freedom, speed and ease of maneuverability they offer, you would be better off spending your money on a used hardshell kayak, particularly a touring kayak, which you should be able to find for close to the cost of a new low-end inflatable. If you plan to tackle Lake Michigan you should look for a boat at least 12’ long and less than 28’ at the widest beam.

I would strongly suggest you find a way to rent or borrow both an inflatable kayak and different models of touring kayaks to see the difference.

I certainly…
…won’t argue with that.

-----

“There are high end inflatable kayaks which are definitely sea worthy but these will run you from $750 to over $3000. If you need something that knocks down or inflates at a reasonable price but will be more like a true kayak and safer for more serious water, look at the Advanced Elements kayaks or the Pakboat Puffin series (google them for site info.)”

Another option for a “knock down” ride would be a used Folbot. From what I’ve read, Folbot provides good support and they have a good rep for making sea-worthy boats.

“I would strongly suggest you find a way to rent or borrow both an inflatable kayak and different models of touring kayaks to see the difference.”

The top poster might want to take a kayak intro course. I took both an intro and rolling class before I bought my kayak. I’m glad that I did. Got to try several different kayaks that way.

Which Low-Cost Inflatable?
Many thanks, Byron: great advice. Why didn’t I think of that? Will definitely pursue.

Tim