Which way to edge in a duffek stroke

If you’re using a duffek stroke in a WW kayak to catch an eddy, which way should you edge the boat? I learned to edge away from the stroke in a sea kayak. In WW this would mean edging away from the downstream current, which is good, but then it seems when you get into the eddy, you’re then edging toward the eddy current. Which in my one previous WW kayak experience, meant my stern got picked up and I got to count fish.

Comments?

Lean Towards The Stroke
as you pull into the eddy, then you level out. Outside edge lean is a guarantee flip.

sing

Either way
One can heel inside a Duffek for a more stable, widely angled skidded turn, or outside, away from the paddle plant for a more aggressive, tighter turning skid.

Also depends on hull X-section
The flatter the hull the faster it will turn if kept level.

As for the Duffek, just keep your hands “in the box”.

Jim

Remember that as you…

…cross the eddy line, the water in the eddy is now flowing what you think of as upstream; so your

lean has to be opposite of what you used on your

approach to the eddy line.

As soon as your center of mass–your butt–crosses the eddy line, upstream and downstream really have

different meanings.

It can be confusing as hell.

My experience

– Last Updated: May-13-08 11:54 AM EST –

is that when you're crossing the line into an eddy, leaning downcurrent(upstream) is the best way to stay dry. With many kayaks a good lean will get you into the eddy without any additional paddle strokes if you're coming in with good speed.

Of course, some playboaters want to "catch" the eddyline. Edging upcurrent and leaning back is sure to provide entertainment for somebody...

Duffek = out of vogue
The Duffek stroke is not the in thing to do anymore.

Today, the cool way to enter an eddy is with an aggressive downstream sweep to generate speed to cross the eddy line and initiate the turn, and an strong edge away from that stroke.

If you can find a copy of Kent Ford’s
"Citizen Racer’s Workshop," you will see how leaning in, leaning out, and sequences of the two are used to control eddy turns. Simple duffeks are the exception rather than the rule, but duffeks blended with other strokes are evident.

Another older video, “Essential Boat Control,” also shows how leaning in and out are combined with turning strokes to control eddy movement.

The new, short boats do require some modifications in how eddies are handled, but some modification of the duffek, after any needed sweep strokes, is still a secure way to anchor a turning movement.

I sometimes practice…

…eddying out by just leaning.

It looks cool too!

Should I explain my dufus stroke?

I thought I invented that one!
Although since I’m female it’s spelled “dufess” :slight_smile:

Duffek in 10 years
So if it’s passe now, our grandkids will rediscover it - although for some of us it will be our great-grandkids (not me, neener neener neener)