“Whiskering” wood trim?

Does anyone have any experience with the process called “whiskering” to remove dents from the surface of wood trim? According to an article by Cliff Jacobson in the 3/96 Canoe & Kayak, the process involves water saturating a folded cotton rag, wringing out the excess water, setting the rag over the dent or gouge and then using a hot steam iron (without steam) to firmly press the cloth over the wood damage until the grain is raised. The wood can then be normally sanded and oiled. I’m wondering if this really works and if there are any tricks to getting a good result.

fwcruiser

I have used this technique on cherry ,
alder, and mahogany when building harpsichords and clavichords from kits, and it does work. It may not entirely raise a really sharp and deep dent, but it will raise a softer, shallower dent, while “mitigating” a more severe dent.

Given that it works on furniture quality wood, I think you have a good chance of success on such utilitarian parts as those used in a canoe.

Yup, it do work

– Last Updated: May-07-07 2:30 PM EST –

ta a certain extent as g2d stated. Ah'd scrape or sand watever finish ye had over de dent off first. Caution - yer dun't want ash ta git too damp if dats wat ye be workin' wit, it'll turn black in some areas o' de grain, especially de end grain.

FE