Whitewater Hybrid Kayaking?

So I’ve made the decision to get back involved in kayaking after a near 10 year break.

I am hoping to do some light (Class II) whitewater, the occasional surf play and a little leisurely paddling from time to time.

Give the drop skeg, wide base and decent size I think the Dagger Approach 10.0 is the perfect boat for me. (I am 6 feet tall and weight 250lbs)

The next question is…, what about a paddle? Ideally, I’d like a slightly hybrid type paddle. I realize the paddle wont be ideal for any one thing. I was thinking a higher angled paddle with a little more surface area would be a good choice because of my size and desires.

So far I was think the Aquabound Manta Ray, Lendal Nordkapp or Accent Synergy (although I cant seem to find the synergy anywhere.)

The next question is length. Given that I am taller, one might say a lenghtier paddle. But if I’m trying to do a few different things, I’m not so sure. I was thinking something in the 225cm range.

length
225 sounds long to me. I’m 5’9", currently use a 194 in my whitewater boat and have used the same paddle in my 22" touring boat – it’s a bit short, but better than the 215 touring paddle I have. If I could only have one paddle for both it’d probably be in the 200-205 range.

I am 6’2" I use a 215 cm touring paddle
and a 197cm whitewater paddle. The Approach is a bit wide, but if you wanted an all-around paddle I would stick with the shortest possible paddle that give you clearance around the kayak and can reach the water.

really is no hybrid paddle…
the length is the biggest thing…shorter for faster strokes…longs and you have slower strokes…

shorter you have a more vertical stroke (less turning power in each stroke)

longer you have more horizontal strokes (and thus more turning power in each stroke)…

blades: i use a Lendal XTI cc (ww “blade”) for day trip/playing around in a long boat…

long boats are always a modified crank shaft Lendal 215cm…

rockhopper either a 195cm (seven2 Airidium) for surfing or a 215 (lendal) for tooling around…

surf boat usually a 178cm (jackson kids paddle -Galasport made) but sometimes that 195cm…

use the paddle you are comfortable with!!!most important thing…

r

I’m 6’ 5", and I could use my 206 cm
whitewater paddles in a Dagger Approach without difficulty. I certainly would not go over 215 cm in whitewater.

Excellent Choice
in the Dagger Approach 10 for the type of water you mention. I am 6’ 225# and have been pleased with mine. I am not a paddle expert by any means but I have a 197 Werner Desperado and have been very happy with it. I did not want to spend a fortune on a paddle and found the Desperado a good compromise.