Who is Andy Zimmerman?

Robert’s Cousin?
Think “Mr. Natural”.

Fair question indeed
When I read your oringinal post I must have had the wrong tone of voice projected onto your typing. I apologize. That is a very fair question, and I now see it from the enthusiast standpoint that you were actually asking it from.

For your sake, perhaps, I hope the success of Wilderness Systems was more due to his skill as a business man/designer rather than overwhelming market forces and simply being in the right place at the right time.

Cheers

see the documentary?

Loved It!

Very Nice Article Yesterday
There was a very complimentary article in yesterday’s Greensboro paper about Andy Zimmerman and Heritage. He wants to manufacture in the Greensboro area again and is looking for local and state incentive $ to move from… Rhode Island was it?

It said as many as 250 jobs could be created here. It would fill the void that Confluence left when it moved to SC.

you fergot…
http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060310/NEWSREC0101/603100304/1001/NEWSREC0201

the link.

steve

Kayak fishermen
Kayak fishermen on the warmer coasts have been using SOTs for a long time now. It is there prefered boat and one they are used to. A strange thing happens to paddlers. They want longer and faster kayaks as paddling takes over. There is a growing trend towards higher performance boats as they go further looking for that elusive big fish. There is a growing market for composite SOTs that is being fueled by boats from South Africa. I believe the US companies are starting to recognize this trend hence the new Kestral SOT and Epic GP SOT with rumours of more to come.

The idea of a rebirth of the Shearwater, while remote, is not that far fetched. I have one and with a few modifications in the manufacture it could be a very viable high performance fishing kayak. Drop the seat 2", bigger front hatch, tankwell,small rear access hatch, cockpit access hatch and dare I say rudder(shudder). The sponsoned hull would lend itself to fishing quite well.

I don’t know, but…
…I’ll bet he sings better than Bob Zimmerman.

Business Blackmail

– Last Updated: Mar-14-06 1:09 PM EST –

Steve:

I'm not a big fan of the blackmail technique employed by many businesses these days trying to obtain cash incentives and tax breaks from "competing" states and localities.

One would expect that Legacy is also approaching the state of RI and the town of Bristol to see how much they're willing to pay to keep Heritage there.

Regardless of the concessions made, I wouldn't be surprised if the business that obtained concessions showed a willingness in the near future to consider other relocations for "economic" reasons.

Move the jobs from RI to NC because there is an abundance of "skilled" "cheap" labor. Then what, do what a lot of others are doing and move the production facilities to China for the same reason?!?

well now
me thinks anyone who is not working for CWS in Easley has already found a job. how long can you wait till you need a paycheck?

the ‘skilled’ labor force left behind in NC has already found new jobs. some of the bigwigs who didn’t move and some of the ex-employees are on andy’s team.

I talked to Andy at Canoecopia and he is excited but…it’s going to take a while to get the ball rollin’

steve

Well Now…

– Last Updated: Mar-15-06 10:12 AM EST –

From what I HAVE SEEN THIS YEAR...all Andy (or anyone else) need to do is focus on quality control. Put out a good product, good quality control, good customer service...and they are halfway home!

I've looked over hundreds of Confluence boats in the last couple months...and you guy's better work on cleaning up your own act Steve. Bad hatches....bulkheads that are not even close to being sealed or fitted properly...poor mold prep...warped hulls....scratches on about a third of the boats (or more)....you guys have lots of work to do yourselves man.
i'm not blaming you, I know it is beyond your control and yeah..."They are working on it"...they have a ways to go yet from what I've seen lately.
Wildy, Mad River, Perception, etc...they all have great roots and backgrounds....don't let the big corporate mentality ruin all these once great brands man. YOU are a REAL paddler from what I have seen and I know YOU care about this stuff!

shhhhh
you’ll upset the shareholders

Yup
Would not want all those non paddling shareholders getting upset out there…remember the good old days when all these companies were actually owned and run by PADDLERS?

Cheers…