who makes the best plastic sea kayak

I’m 5’11" 200 lbs and looking for a good stable plastic sea kayak for paddling the bay of fundy I have been paddling an old prijon boat for a couple o years I love it but it is not a sea kayak. my short list is, boreal designs inukshuk

cd sorroco, ws tempest17 or tsunami 17.5, prijon kodiak.

thanks

Consider Valley and P&H
Valley makes very good plastic sea kayaks. You might consider a RM Aquanaut or Nordkapp.

As I recall Wilderness Systems considers the Tsunamis to be ‘transitional’ boats. They don’t seem intended for serious seas…

best boat ! hard Q !
hello…i’d like to refer you to the post by rtw73… i believe that post is on page 2 by now. under…“prijon or wilderness” post , that person is also paddling bay of fundy area , might be worth reading if u haven’t read that post already. best plastic boat is the one you can afford. what price range can u afford? that might help other posters narrow the field down and recommend a boat to you in the length and price range. as seems the caveat in pnet …paddle the boats 1st, if possible , then decide. the boreal,kodiak or CD would be the best i think.

oops stoopid me !!
hi rtw…i didn’t bother to read who posted this thread …sorry …when i went back and looked i seen your name , sooooooo…disregard my advice on reading your older post.

I would go with the tempest
I am not a huge fan of the Sirocco or the Kodiak/Seayak. The Prijon boats have great plastic but I don’t like the way they handle.

And I think at that length I would go with the tempest over the tsunami.

But really paddle all of the boats first.

stable compared to what?
The Tsunami 17 and a Necky Looksha 17 are stable compared to the scirocco and Tempest. Not sure how the Kodiak fits in there.

I like the Valley Skerray RMX

– Last Updated: Jan-29-08 7:00 PM EST –

...for someone your size. It's super manueverable, has decent speed, and it is a nice roller.

I would go with the Sirocco
Unlike the poster above me, I am a huge fan of the Sirocco, and–unlike the poster below me–I find it an incredibly stable boat, so long as you’re in the boat (and not scrambling).

On the other hand, your original question was who makes the best plastic boat. The answer to that is clear: For the best plastic, for the best construction, it’s Valley or P&H all the way. But take a number and get in line. You should get yours by 2009.

This has already been answered 4 u.

– Last Updated: Jan-29-08 8:12 PM EST –

Unanimously.

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=807551

And I also agree with schizopak above, Valley has impeccable plastic.

Aquanaut HV RM?

– Last Updated: Jan-29-08 8:41 PM EST –

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/aquanauthvpoly.htm

or Capella RM 166?
http://www.phseakayaks.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=8

Try the Tempest last
as that is the one you will love to paddle, its a great boat.

Tempest owners, question
are your aft hatches waterproof and secure during rescues? Curious if that’s no longer a problem.

Prijon Kodiak
I’ve paddled the Kodiak on coastal paddles on the pacific side of Baja. I think it is a pretty good boat for a heavier paddler if you want to carry gear and go exploring. It handled well in choppy waves and playing in some rock gardens.

The hatch covers were cheap and the rudder cable broke at the foot peddle, but it was a well used rental boat.

The hatch covers were cheap?..

– Last Updated: Jan-29-08 9:59 PM EST –

...did they have the neo hatch covers under the hard plastic "flaps"?

My Barracuda brings stuff back drier than they
started out to be.

OK. That's an exaggeration.

Added via edit.

I suspect that you just got a badly used one.

Another prijon…

…to look at is the Touryak.

Maybe a little more info?

– Last Updated: Jan-30-08 12:03 PM EST –

Bay of Fundy is pretty big water where, depending on exactly where you go, the paddler can be as or more important than the boat. Why are you looking for another boat - are you trying to stretch your distances, or move into bigger conditions? What are the parameters of your concerns about stability - can you handle a capsize and get back into your boat, what kinds of conditions are you comfortable in, that kind of thing.

A number of plastic sea kayaks out there are excellent, but they have different strengths and weaknesses for particular uses. Answers to the above might help narrow the field better. As above, for example, the Tsunami and the Tempest don't have have quite the same audience. (albeit as Flatpick mentions above can perform in similar uses but may ask slightly different things of the paddler)

Tempest 165 big back hatch
…leaks in my RM boat. It was produced at the end of 2006. The back hatch has dislodged/blown in the surf zone, leaving the back compartment like a bath tub - full of water! I’m a little disappointed in this aspect of this great, all round paddling kayak.

I’ve just been sent more epoxy and am going to fabricate a lid to fit over back hatch, secured on with straps. Hopefully this will fix the normal couple cups of water/leakage into the compartment it gets after rolling/wave play as well.

I’ve conducted a test by filling both the day & back compartments (these are the only ones which leak) full with dyed water and the results were that the hatches leaked. (skeg cable through bulkheads leaked a bit and were caulked)

I wonder
if a glassed piece of 4mm plywood with a flange to fit right over the rubber one and straps going from deck line to deck line across the top would solve it.

Same size as you
I’m probably as close to the same size as we’ll find. Now I have to admit my boat is a first kayak so please keep that in mind. I haven’t paddled open water yet either. I have a Capella 166 RM. I think that this boat will serve me well for a long time before I exceed it’s capabilities. I got lucky and had a used one drop in my lap. I had been looking at the Valley Aquanaut. My plans are to use it for some touring/camping and hopefully get to open water in the Great Lakes when my skills are up to it.

John

Eddyline for sure! You get the benefits
of both Roto and composite. Lite, fast, durable, and well mannered. Give them a look before you buy. I think there are now other thermal formed boats that approach Eddylines quality, check them out too.