Why do diff sites list diff weights?

Sorry to create a separate topic for this but it’s time sensitive, I want to order this 11 ft kayak and if I do it soon it can get to me by Saturday so I can take it to my friend’s lake. Several sites, including Old Towne’s own site, list the Heron 11XT as being 41 lbs. However, several other sites, including this one, list it as 47 lbs. How do I dettermine which is correct? If it is 41 lb that would completely solve my issue of the weight and struggling with carrying it. Thanks!

answered this in your other thread

– Last Updated: Sep-13-16 1:41 PM EST –

Old Town is notorious for disrcepancies in the weights of their kayaks. You won't know how much it ACTUALLY weighs until you get it and weigh it yourself. Very questionable quality control.

Also there have been issues where kayak makers list a base weight that does not include additions like "dashboards", fishing gear attachments, other accessories and even seats that are included in the marketed versions.

Many kayaks have small variations of a pound or two in weight among the same models, especially larger boats which may have slight differences in material thicknesses, especially fiberglass boats. But few have the large variations that you can find in Old Town products. Just one of many reasons why OT is not considered a premium tier kayak maker.

Damn
So which one should I assume is correct?

Ask to borrow a boat there.
You are no way ready to buy one.

it depends on the source data
Without knowing where various websites get their data, it’d be hard to say which is more accurate. I’d assume Old Town’s listed weights are the most accurate since they are their own source. However, as has already been mentioned, Old Town’s hull weights are probably bare hull weight only and don’t include add-ons, like seats. I can’t speak with any personal experience regarding their kayaks, but I’ve found this to be true with their canoes. Likewise, I’ve found some variability in the actual weight of Old Town canoes versus the spec. Some have been more, some have been less. I’d assume the Old Town spec weight is based on an average weight of X number of canoes. Coming from a manufacturing environment, I can tell you that there are statistical models that are typically used in determining listed specifications within a given range and with a certain level of confidence.

Until you put the specific kayak you are looking to purchase on a scale, you won’t know for sure what that specific boat weighs. The specs give you an approximation, which may or may not include the add-ons. I have a luggage scale that I use to weigh canoes in which I’m interested (also for luggage).

As was suggested on your other thread (which is one of the most informative “intro to basic kayak purchasing” I have seen - they gave you a ton of great advice there), if the weight is an issue, get a cart.

Good luck with your new kayak.

go and lift one
…or assume the heavier weight. It’s an inexact science.

Cool, thanks
I appreciate the advice everyone

Assumptions

– Last Updated: Sep-13-16 7:34 PM EST –

Assume that the heavier weight listing is closer to correct than the lighter weight listing. Then you won't be disappointed if the lighter weight listing you found "somewhere" is a just a "come on".

The Old Town Next was found to have multiple weights listed at different locations.

It's all about selling "product"; show me the money!

BOB

When seriously shopping…
I use to take a bathroom scale with me… ends doubt.

but how did you fit the kayaks
into the bathroom?

:wink:

Practice, practice, practice…

i can fit 3
In fact, the storage cupboard in the bathroom of my mini-motorhome is where the folding kayaks stash for travel.

Id be more impressed
I’d be more impressed if someone could fit a bathroom in a kayak.

/ hole beneath seat doesn’t count.

From long trippers…
that appears to sometimes be one of those out of boat experiences. Perhaps using someone else’s boat to help…

that’s been done that too
A “Shee-Wee” FUD (female urinary device, essentially a long horizontally oriented funnel) and a Nalgene bottle. Heck, guys don’t even need the funnel.

Freya Hoffmeister described in considerable detail how she dealt with non-liquid elimination while aboard the kayak during her continental circumnavigations.