Why do yakkers keep buying new boats?

Not the canoers I know!
The canoers I have met seem to keep buying or selling canoes all the time!

My Lake Erie paddle partner has, at last count, ummm, 7 canoes AND a kayak. I think that’s because there’s a canoe for every purpose one can think of: fishing, racing, overnight camping, whitewater, moving water, slow water, big water, little water, bath water…well, you name it, and somewhere there’s a canoe built that fulfills that purpose.

I also think that collecting canoes, like collecting kayaks, can easily become an addiction; well, because so many are just so niiiiice. (“We admitted we were powerless over paddling…”)

As a kayaker, I own a measly 2 kayaks. One of those is my slow-boat-to-China first kayak, and the other is my upgrade to a decent 16 footer. Of course, I am actively planning to get an even nicer 'yak next year.

Yup, thanks to those canoers, I’m learning from some VERY good teachers.

It’s just not true
Fully 50% of my fleet was purchased as old used boats.

Have you ever heard of
mcwood or thebob? They have herds of canoes and are always looking (lusting?) for more. If I didn’t have this damned mortgage, I’d be joining them.

because the keep making more!!!

In one word…
ADDICTION! And I don’t see myself “drying out” anytime soon.

Splash

Not necessarily true
All the yakkers I paddle with on a regular basis have just one boat. Some hope to upgrade eventually, but for these people, cost is a big consideration and they don’t see that happening soon. Sure there are plenty of people on P.Net who buy new yaks as time goes by, but to say that yakkers are different from canoers in this regard seems a stretch.

I’d say that anyone, canoer or kayaker, who really gets interested in the nuances of boat-handling is the type who’s going to want more than one boat - preferably several boats. Those that don’t get too worked up about the details are likely to be happy with one boat, or at least, one boat at a time. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what it looks like to me.

Personally, I don’t worry about why people want more boats or what they spend on them. Before posting this message, I Googled a couple of golf-club suppliers and looked at the prices. Eeeek! Paddling is CHEAP compared to golf, so I say go for it. All of you go ahead and get all the boats you want. It’s still a pretty cheap hobby, all things considered.

Are you referring to a woman or boat?