Why do yakkers keep buying new boats?

The current kayak vs. canoe thread got me to wondering:

Why are kayakers always shopping for new boats while canoers do not.

Does this reflect an obvious defect in kayak concept/design or is there another factor in play: ego? boredom? envy? lust? desire? or what?

Are you kidding?
My friends have gone from spending all their money on new boats (canoes), to spending my money on new boats.

Doc

why the answer is obvious
because canoes don’t come in the myriad of colors that kayaks do.

why start a way :slight_smile:
i began in earnest obtaining boats when outfitting my two growing daughters…they would begin in an Umiak, then the Acadia, the the Sea Lion, then one of the Brit style boats…neither daughter has expressed an interest in getting into the Strand qajaq, puzzling I know…

This past spring the oldest asked if she could take the Nordkapp to college…of course I happily said yes…this past weekend she asked if she could take 2 boats off the rack explaining that it would be better if she had a spare boat for a paddling partner–what parent can argue with that logic?

As far as the other boats, to me they are all as different as night and day…maybe the problem exist in that a canoe is a canoe is a canoe, but a Lecky Looksha II is a very different creature than a CD Kestrel which is just as different as a QCC 700 which is just as different as a Licoln Eggemoggin-ad infinitum :slight_smile:

Canoes…
… seen one, ya seen them all… :slight_smile:

More often first choice is off
Pretty much the norm that people getting into kayaking will not realize what boat they realy need early on because their skills and ideas of what kinds of conditions they want to paddle in are still moving. For example, lots of us first had rec kayaks and most end up in significantly different kayaks by a couple of years later. Often that happens as the water gets much bigger - oceans, surf, great lakes.

But canoes, for most people, don’t go into this kind of water, and are more general use boats where the first one you get is still pretty useful. Also, the higher center of gravity and perception of “tippiness” in a canoe (IMO) kinda limits the number of people that aren’t thinking more long term to start with who will get into them.

Don’t know who you are hangning around
But all the canoers I hang around with trade canoes more than the kayakers I hang with. Hell this coming weekend 50 boaters will be gathering at Raystown PA for the sole purpose of trying out a number of boats. And I can guarantee that more than a couple will come away dreaming of that new shell.

Randy

Lust? Desire?
But of course! Kayaks are like chocolates, you can never have just one. With different lengths, widths, materials, shapes, hull designs, and uses, the compulsive have-to-have mentally kicks in. And if the tick of the clock is getting louder (or more dim), gotta do it while you still can!

cause
Yacks are Like SEXY women; you can’t just have one and be content!!! L

You can make do with an explorer
in all cases. :wink:

WW
Whitewater kayak design changes rapidly to follow the trends in competition and the popular play moves. Cartwheeling produced a generation of boats with slicy ends, and looping has produced boats designed to get big air. Outfitting has steadily improved, and weights have come down. The target market for whitewater akyaks is probably much younger and more interested in new gear than the typical canoeist.

I have owned about 30 different
Canoes in the last 30-35 years. Damn good thing I never got into kayaks.

sounds like you’re getting your answers

– Last Updated: Oct-11-06 11:13 AM EST –

FWIW I see canoers change or add models often as well. I canoe and kayak, have 1 canoe and am actively shopping for another, have 2 yaks and am shopping a bit less actively for another, and am looking for a sailboat. In my next life I want to add sailboarding and surfing if I don't fit it in during this lifetime, perhaps also a small fishing boat with tiny motor (I just don't get the powerboat and PWC thing though).

I do think the range of conditions and uses a kayak meets or sees is greater than the same for a canoe, and I think this explains it partially.

I’ve bought three of each in the last 2
years (three canoes and three kayaks, that is) and am still looking for one that really thrills me, but the fiberglass Aquaterra Sea Lion sea kayak that I acquired this summer is probably the best all around boat that I have so far, but is much heavier than I’d like.

I have six canoes and six kayaks (solo and tandem) and probably spend a little more time in canoes than kayaks.

Another factor to consider is that more local shops carry inexpensive kayaks than solo canoes, so availability is a factor.

To keep the small dealers in business …
where else can you go to shoot the breeze for a couple of hours when everythings all froze up? Barber shop just doesn’t ‘cut it’ for me. hahaha

You should encourage readers to practice this trade more often however, otherwise it might impact the supply of good quality used boats out there!

Where’s Mick?

conspicuously silent

Exactly
Now if only the local paddleshop could also serve beer.

Kayakers get . . .
Kayakers get bow envy.

Canoers . . . well, what can you say about canoe bows? Canoers become kayakers I guess.

canoers
know what they’re looking for in a boat. Contrary to an above posting, there are a LOT of differences in canoe design. I think we canoers can also live with slight compromises because we’re so darned comfortable when we’re out paddling, and when we’re in over our head in whitewater, someone else is sharing the terror with us.(until that someone else decides at the age of 12 that they’d rather solo their own canoe and find a smoother line than the one dear old dad picked…)