Why Greenland Style Paddles?

The big problem with GPs
The big problem with Greenland style paddles are that they are not as widely available as euro style paddles. Every kayak shop carries euro style paddles but very, very few carry Greenland paddles. I suspect that the vast majority of kayakers new to the sport have never seen a Greenland paddle. I suspect most kayakers first see a Greenland paddle when they go on a group paddle among which there is a Greenland paddle user. Generally the Greenland paddle user has more experience which leads many kayakers to perceive the use of a Greenland paddle as an advanced technique. What a shame.

Hopefully as seakayaking matures more and more kayak shops and outfitters will start to carry a few GP sticks in their inventory and Greenland paddles and GP techniques will become less of a mystery to new paddlers.

you got my attention
i agree, its hard to find fault with the gp as a touring paddle.

Plus/Minus
GPs are just not in store items - and for good reason. A big part of the GP’s magic is the custom sizing to the user. Varying overall AND loom length, blade width, shoulder shape, etc. Hard to do a really good mass market GP because of this.

Some makers (usually direct order only) offer a limited size range - like my Superior Carbon. Lucky for me one of their standard sizes is a good match.

Those new to GPs may not know what they need - and won’t have enough use/experience to know what to buy, or carve if they go that route. All GPs are certainly not the same. IMO Best bet on a first GP is to get a custom paddle from someone like Don Beale who can help with the details and makes a hell of a nice paddle at a decent price.

Are you listening?
How about it, Seakayaker Mag and Canoe & Kayak: How about a comparison test?

Methinks it is overdue.

Jim

What criteria?
Seems such a test would be subjective to the point of being u at best, misleading at worst.

You could pick any two euros and have the same problem setting up a test. What paddles? What lengths? What kayaks? What paddlers (experience/technique/power/etc.)?

In any testable way - this is still a matter of preference more than performance.

Same with any paddle. Like the “which boat is faster question” - the equipment is the smaller part of the equation.

To get to benefits of a GP you need a well designed and executed one - but more importantly you need to develop the subtle technique variations that make it so good for touring and better still for rolling/sculling - and also prefer it to the point you can and will take advantage of this. Hand someone who uses a euro a GP for the first time - with no guidance - and it’s not usually love at first stroke (but does happen). GPs get better over time - MUCH better. It’s almost easier for a wing paddler to cross over as they are used to letting the paddle find it’s way a bit, and a wing stroke pretty much works, but few wing paddlers are interested unless they already use a variety of blades.

Anyway, I see no way to have a really objective comparison for speed, rolling, whatever.

I am currently faster with GP than my wing - but that’s means nothing because I have a lot of miles on the GP and my technique/comfort’s better. Last B&B JackL and I ran pretty close both days. Same boat - but he with wing & rudder and I with GP & skeg. He’ll likely claim I’m close because I’m younger/stronger or some such BS - but he’s a LOT lighter, a LOT more active, and races a heck of a LOT more than I do (me maybe 3 times a year).

I’d break it down like this:

If speed is the priority - get a wing (and expect to have to train and maintain a certain strength/fitness to really get anything out of it).

For general touring - GP or Euro. For high wind and slop - GP (but again, a preference more than hard data).

For sea kayak rolling - whichever you prefer to tour with. Not something to change for (but a GP sure do make it easy!!!)

For dedicated WW/Surf (as opposed to in and out as part of touring with some surf play) - Euro.

Apples and Oranges.

1 Like

Euro/GP probably a wash
People who are skilled at either can generally equal the performance of someone skilled at the other (leaving aside wing paddles). For me, I don’t like GP’s. First, I hate wooden paddles. The floating property that many like I find irritating when stroking. It simply is something to be overcome. Your mileage is likely to vary. Second, I am primarily a WW paddler and I like the transfer of training aspect of using a Euro paddle when I tour. Third, I don’t care at all about the historical aspects of paddling. It doesn’t matter to me what Inuits used. I don’t want to do 583 different types of rolls in exhibition. Finally I have seen no compelling argument that establishes the general superiority of either paddle. So I go with modern technology and what I am familiar with. I seriously doubt I am missing anything. If I am, it can’t be much. Just a response from a cynic. :slight_smile:

I did a comparison as
part of my ACK article. I used a heart rate monitor, and three different paddles, all carbon fiber. I compared my speed at the same heart rate with each paddle. I found the GP and the “standard” to be identical, and the wing to be 6% faster.

Sanjay

why not

– Last Updated: Jun-03-05 10:40 AM EST –

????

be curious. Buy or make one and find out.

It's not about the destination, it's about having fun on the way there.

1 Like

Becoming a better paddler
Paddling equipment is entirely up to someones interest and needs and I have found that the more different types of equipment I learn to use enhances all of my paddling skills no matter what I am using. I found that learning the techniques involved in the use of the greenland paddle took me time and persistance. The greenland rolls are not meant to be an exibition or a way of showing off, each roll involves different techniques. Learning different rolls teaches different techniques. These skills can be used to some extent with whatever type of kayak or paddle you are useing. I would have never given the greenland paddle much of a chance if it wasn’t for a bad shoulder. I’m glad I’ve learned to use one.

another perspective

– Last Updated: Jun-03-05 10:12 AM EST –

Dr. Disco, as you know I'm also a whitewater paddler. For the most part, I also could care less about traditionalists although I do fall into the "rollaholic" category. I use a GP for touring primarily because I can go faster, farther, with less effort compared to my Euro paddle. I love my carbon Werner in whitewater but for me, a GP for sea kayaking is a much better fit. Also some of the Greenland rolling tricks can transfer over to whitewater skills. I have flipped in a hole while surfing and had my paddle torn away from one hand. Because I had practiced Greenland style rolls with my Euro paddle, I immediately did a butterly roll up with one hand rather than taking the time to setup. I also balance brace in my playboat in flat sections/eddies to stretch out my back and relieve some of the pressure on my legs.