Why is life worth living? aka I wasn't made for these times

First, Paddler magazine goes belly up. Then Sea Kayaker goes kaput. Now, I get home today and find that Canoe and Kayak has died but they will graciously send me SUP magazine from now on. Why, Lord, why?

And my wife said “good, less magazines in the house”. Poor, poor pitiful me.

because no one is 100% sure what death is like.

I do think SUP boards are for the most part stupid and very limiting in use.

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:

But they are so cool, as indicated by the huge, color-photo SUP display at Canoecopia.

Of course if there was anything that has “taken over” at Canoecopia, it has to be the fishing kayaks. They were everywhere, all over the show floor, big wide barges, all of them well in excess of 100 pounds, and just brimming with gadgets and often equipped with electric-motor drive. Apparently that’s what sells right now.

My canoes and rowboats are so dull. :’(

Once I heard, I broke down and ordered 2 years of Ocean Paddler. had been meaning to do it after Sea Kayaker went under, but this was the final straw. Not cheap, coming fro the UK and all. Felt a little less expensive per issue for 2 years instead of 1.
http://www.oceanpaddler.co.uk/

I will wait until SUPs come full circle… when they figure out that they will be much faster with a nice sail…

I used to say “I can’t say anything bad about SUP because I’ve never tried it.”

Then I tried it and remembered my mother chiding me with “If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all”.

The only advantage I can figure is that a SUP is the best way to show off a bikini, and I do not have the body for a bikini.

@grayhawk said:
I will wait until SUPs come full circle… when they figure out that they will be much faster with a nice sail…

@grayhawk Here ya go: who needs a sail? Or a paddle? (Saw this on the WT site - maybe a new class?)

https://vimeo.com/192561381

I need one of thos lift foils. That looks like a real hoot.

I want to see how well it handles 5’ waves.

And suddenly we’re all
the Silver Surfer
building buff bodies
(or steroidal Smurfers)
pfds to the wind
it’s all sunga and thong
till Deadpool shall remind us
what we Marvel could be wrong

Looks like some future Lift operators might be heading for a jolting pier review.

Jet ski. Lift. cigarette boat. Meeting at the crossroads of a whole new Club Med Bermuda Triangle?

Oh crap! I left out those hydro-suction jet paks! I suppose I’m going to have to align the crossroads in some Club Quadrilateral.

Screw canoes, kayaks, SUPs and water-transport sports all together. I just want more futuristic gizmos…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiPpYl3qzfg

Hey Dude. Your phone’s ring’n. (A lil’ bit old, a lil’ bit futuristic.)

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:

Thank God. And here I thought it was just me.
(Yes, I have tried it)

@Guideboatguy said:

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:

But they are so cool, as indicated by the huge, color-photo SUP display at Canoecopia.

Of course if there was anything that has “taken over” at Canoecopia, it has to be the fishing kayaks. They were everywhere, all over the show floor, big wide barges, all of them well in excess of 100 pounds, and just brimming with gadgets and often equipped with electric-motor drive. Apparently that’s what sells right now.

My canoes and rowboats are so dull. :’(

Glad I didn’t make the trip to Canoecopia if it was mostly fishing yaks and SUP. Having to pay taxes this year cost me my play money.

From what I see of SUP you need little wind or waves for most people.

Glad I didn’t make the trip to Canoecopia if it was mostly fishing yaks and SUP. Having to pay taxes this year cost me my play money.

No, don’t interpret it that way. Most of the usual boats were there in typical quantity. It’s just that there seemed to be more fishing kayaks than any other kind of boat, and maybe that’s how it looked to me simply because there were probably 10-times as many fishing kayaks as ever before.

because people can’t afford boats any more for fishing!

Well, somehow I’ve developed a cognitive ability that allows me to just walk right by fishing kayaks and SUPs. I can see them, avoid walking into or tripping on them, and yet in no other way pay attention to them. Three days at Canoecopia and I never collided with either and never even talked to a salesman of one, much less be tempted to buy. I’ll leave it to the psychologists to explain.

But There is more positive news from the show this year… NovaCraft has a new solo canoe out - the Fox. And Navarro canoe made its first appearance at Canoecopia - they’ve moved operations from the left coast and set up manufacturing in Rock Island Illinois. There was a new company selling Wood/Canvas canoes as well; Pricey, of course, but they looked nice. Usually CLC has dominated the kit kayak displays, but this year Pygmy made an appearance.

I’m less concerned with the missing paddling magazines than I might have been ten years ago… Back then I’d have been scaring myself silly with a narrative about the decline of a sport I love as evidenced by the loss of the magazines. Today I just figure literacy is just sooo 20th century, as evidenced by the loss of the magazines. Magazines catering to other hobby/sport activities (Aquarium, photography, model aircraft mags, for example) seem to be suffering a similar fate… They all seem to have much more advertisement than they used to, far fewer informative articles, all feature expensive glossy impulse-buy-encouraging covers. Ten years ago I didn’t give a thought to the possibility that twitter might replace actual reading, whether 140 characters is a long statement, whether a person could actually earn a stable living writing for magazines, etc. And then there’s the worry about whether there will be decently clean water to paddle on and whether it will be privatized. But I’m convinced that whatever may come, there will be paddlers because we’re generally a pretty determined bunch…

Are we not men?
We are devo!