Why is the first paddle of the year always...

I paddle every month here too. First of the year is usually on the 1st or 2nd of Jan. Why is the first paddle of the year so hard to get participants for shuttle? Eh? It’s just a liiiitle cold…

@rival51 said:

Hey, Rival - what are those blossoms that look like exploding firecarackers?

@Steve_in_Idaho Silver Maple (as best as I can figure). I thought that they were pretty cool. Worth a stop as I was pushing through the downed tree. Didn’t need to portage this one.

Yep we have a New years day tradition as we have always been able to find some open water on the Red Cedar. No shuttle is usually required. Often my next paddle is late February with an overnight on the AuSable.

Pikabike, I see you’re still struggling with that 60+ pounds kayak. You know what I’m going to say, but I have a little more to add. My daughter-in-law in MN is about the same build, height and weight as you. Until last summer she paddled her 60 + pound Pilgrim Expedition. She now has a kayak where she chose the beam, length, cockpit height and shape. It weighs half that of her Pilgrim, which now gathers dust in the shed. I see it as a liberation. A lightweight kayak is not just a huge benefit ashore, but it is also much more responsive to every paddle stroke.
There are photos on our FB page: https://en-gb.facebook.com/CNCKayaks/ of her Vember (unloaded)
If you’re ever near Minneapolis you could try out a Vember and a Vember Expedition
https://d3s3k13islrvw7.cloudfront.net/original/2X/4/405bb6cf9f01ef3e4cd8726da610ae6a9e4930a2.jpeg
Nick

Come straight across the pond. Then head south to your old stomping grounds.
There is no such thing as “first paddle of the year”!
It is year round in 83 degree water.
Tell Sandra;: Nanci says “hello”

Cheers !

Jack, we aim to visit with you next winter. I’ll email you later today.
Nick.

@nickcrowhurst said:
Jack, we aim to visit with you next winter. I’ll email you later today.
Nick.

I’ll be looking forward to see you roll a paddleboard, - and knowing you it will probably be standing up!

Nick, that’s a beautiful kayak and the light weight definitely appeals to me. But I have no desire to build a boat.

Other than the weight, I still really like the Pilgrim Expedition. When the time comes to go lighter—which might be sooner than expected—I might switch to a short surfski instead of a decked SK. The only thing holding me back, really, is that I enjoy being able to edge a kayak. And I would want to get in some serious demo time on any possible skis, which means traveling to southern CA.

One of these days I hope to go back to the sleepy part of FL again. Aside from crystal-clear rivers with manatees, and warm seas with dolphins, the birding there is incredible. No doubt you agree!

You better get there soon. The sleepy part of Florida is being consumed like the rest of the state.

I guess it was only a matter of when, not if. Sure glad I saw it when it was sleepy.