Why none of the old posters are not here

This new format sucks, as it’s simply not appropriate for this purpose. Blogs are fine for linear posts, particularly where the owner is the only one posting. Blogs are horrible for multi-person conversations, which often diverge into sub-threads. For that, you need the ability to view the posts as threads, which the old format did nicely. This format was a really stupid choice, probably based more on simplicity than on functionality. The golden rule is “form _follows_function”, not “whatever is easiest/cheapest for me to implement is best”.

Call me old-school but I much prefer the threaded discussion format of the previous forum, versus the current guestbook-style format. Threaded allows for a true discussion.
I don’t post here nearly as often as I did before.

Rookie, FYI, I admin the Qajaq USA forums. If you feel you get “lost in the nests” there, you can click on “My Preferences” and change your Display view to “Guestbook” (to view posts similar to this forum). There’s some other display options as well.

@gstamer

Wow… that sure makes posts easier to read in chronological order. Thanks so much, Greg!

I’ve gotten used to the new format but it is not as useful as the old one. The indented format allowed a quick visual glance to find subthreads. Now replies to those are mixed in with everything else.

I barely look at Reviews anymore. The old archived system was much more helpful.

Merely getting TO the forums is convoluted, unless you bookmark the page. I do. However, someone who is new might just skip over to another website instead of persisting.

I much prefer the older format, especially nested threads, I don’t visit the site nearly as much as I used to but I am getting used to it. My biggest remaining gripe that I really hope you fix is the search function. Could you please add an advanced search function similar to that on the old boards where I can choose more precisely what I want to search: subjects only, poster only, a particular board only, anywhere in a thread, etc.

I thought the old format made it really difficult to find the newest post in a thread. This format works much better.

I prefer that sub discussions be started as new discussions, rather than peppered throughout an existing discussion. I skipped over the long threads in the old format, because they were too laborious to follow.

I figured this one out on my phone and I’ve been around awhile.
I also preferred the old format.

I preferred the older forum also. Neither of them are what I’d consider great formats though when compared to other fora I participate on.

Newest post retrieval and image insertion are about the only pluses I see with this new format and I’m not sure they outweigh the numerous negatives.

I’m much more a reader these days and visit much less frequently than in the past thus I probably shouldn’t be complaining :wink:

One advantage here is we are missing the desert dweller.

@Yanoer said:
I thought the old format made it really difficult to find the newest post in a thread. This format works much better.

I prefer that sub discussions be started as new discussions, rather than peppered throughout an existing discussion. I skipped over the long threads in the old format, because they were too laborious to follow.

Odd Ball would be proud of you. This seems to be a positive comment(s). https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2c/db/f6/2cdbf6ea37932f5b02590393788df70e.jpg They still have some things to work out but it works. I don’t think they’ll go back to the old format just cause some old guys didn’t like the new one,

No they won’t go back, as this crappy blog format is probably integral to the site template and costs nothing, whereas the better forum formats require separate software that costs money.

Wow, I must not have understood how to use the old discussion format, since I prefer the new format, but many apparently prefer the old format.

Not sure if it’s a cause or an effect, but I’ve sold a number of boats over the years through pnet classifieds, and on the old site I always got multiple inquiries within a day or two of posting. I’ve posted twice on the new site’s used gear section and have received zero replies to either. One post was a whitewater canoe, and the current one is for a couple of WS Tempests. I know price wasn’t the issue, because the canoe and two of the Tempests have already sold for the asking price. The buyers just didn’t come from this site.

Is the new format driving users away? Or are users leaving simply because web forums overall are getting replaced by FB groups and Google/Yahoo listservs?

I don’t think you can attribute the absence of some of the long-time posters entirely to the new format. Activity levels on the forum were pretty low before things were changed.

Many old posters left with B&B. I haven’t been to the new B&B, so I have no idea who is still over there.

I bookmarked the forums and have only had to log in I think twice, but the flashy adds and pictures make my phone lag which is annoying.
I preferred the nested format and think the comment about people understanding how to outline is spot on. No other forum I use has ever had that format so it isn’t like this format is new to me, I just always thought pnet was easier to use than the rest and now it’s just part of the pack and clunkier than most.

@ohioboater said:
Not sure if it’s a cause or an effect, but I’ve sold a number of boats over the years through pnet classifieds, and on the old site I always got multiple inquiries within a day or two of posting. I’ve posted twice on the new site’s used gear section and have received zero replies to either. One post was a whitewater canoe, and the current one is for a couple of WS Tempests. I know price wasn’t the issue, because the canoe and two of the Tempests have already sold for the asking price. The buyers just didn’t come from this site.

Agree. I listed my solo canoe here and have had no responses, but have had numerous inquiries from craigslist.

I’m not interested here anymore as the Recent Discussion thread is always littered with classified ads. Of course p net is a good place to sell stuff but why have the classifieds overshadow the discussions? And the moderation seems so so… The spam is getting annoying.
As I am not in the market for anything at this time I find pawing through the entire “recent discussions” pile annoying. But “recent discussions” doesn’t show up on my phone at all.

OK, how many of you that don’t like the new format are viewing it on a cell phone?

Not now but we travel cross country a lot and while in the passenger seat I use the phone for amusement on the interstates