Why none of the old posters are not here

@kayamedic said:
I’m not interested here anymore as the Recent Discussion thread is always littered with classified ads.
Yes, a link to “Recent Discussions except ads” would be very nice.

I prefer the old format but that may just be because I’m a creature of habit. It does seem many of the old posters are, like me, a little less inclined to post on this new format. I miss 'em.
I think, at least in my case, it has something to do with posting a reply that is sparked by someone’s post and which is several posts from the end by the time I see it. It feels like the discussion has moved on and without the indents the reply seems a bit awkward or improperly placed. I do agree that looking for the most recent post on the old format was a bit of a hassle though.
I still read but I’m less inclined to respond, to the relief of some I expect.

No I miss you PJC… but I know where to find the real you twice a year

I used to hang out here often a few years ago, but left after trying to figure out this convoluted site. It’s a mess, especially trying to find reviews on a kayak. Maybe the owner hired his brother who took a online course in web development?

@jimx200 said:
I used to hang out here often a few years ago, but left after trying to figure out this convoluted site. It’s a mess, especially trying to find reviews on a kayak. Maybe the owner hired his brother who took a online course in web development?

The best method for me to find reviews is to leave this site, get on Google and enter the search terms, and most of the time the first hit is the reviews here. Clicking the link takes you directly to the Pnet reviews of the model you’re looking for, as well as reviews from other sites. It’s a direct shot, with no jumping through hoops or having to deal with gobs of graphics.

I never liked the old nested format. The new one is a lot closer to the standard for forums that I’ve been on throughout the years, so I prefer it. The old format hearkened to the ancient days of Usenet. My main quarrel is that it is hard to get here. Most of the time when I click on the forums I wind up on the photo of the day. I need to place my cursor perfectly the get here and it takes several attempts and is frustrating (I’ve tried different browsers with the same result). I can see some people giving up. Please fix that P-Net (or com)!

Old posters
what four
corners (of)
my mind
jimmied in paradise
to a saults
in coffee (one or two)
times past d
wes and doug
NT
memory
quite frank
in Miami
and so bare
a cuda
gave no quarter
horse woman
at doc
with moor
passing through net
to a non-com
sleep

Forgot about Coffee - 1 and 2. I started hare around 2006, so I missed the real glory days, but most of the old crew was still around. Fortunately, I still see some of the crew even if they don’t post here anymore - DougD, Wickerbutt, RiverStrider.

What I don’t like about the site is the huge dropdown menu at the top - it fills the screen if you happen to go over it - pain.

With the decrease in long boats a lot of discussions has turned to rec boats. When new long boats were being marketed every year by Valley, Epic, CD, Wilderness, NDK and even Necky many discussions revolved around them, not to mention the racing crowd. The SUPs have switched several old posters that I know.
How much can you discuss a REC boat?

@grayhawk said:
How much can you discuss a REC boat?

Apparently ALOT. It seems like most new paddlers want to go that way because of price.

Rec boats can be raced, some rolled, BUT the interesting stuff is what you saw and did.

offers this reason why " old" posters don’t post anymore > after u have been here awhile …u realize , it’s the same questions and responses , over and over, so a “old” poster just thinks …that question again ? …not answering it …already answered it 8 x’s in the past .

But, the archived questions can be difficult to locate, unless worded exactly the same in the queary.

As a relatively “new” poster, I sure am thankful my questions weren’t ignored, even though they may have been asked before. I don’t consider those who answered as “old” posters. They’re gracious, very helpful mentors.

I think the new format isn’t helping but my guess is that some folks got tired of the BS…seeing a few very experienced people using the site to further their commercial interests or to show off versus just exchanging ideas and experiences openly. Some of the top experts like Dave Curtis, Pat Moore, and the late Tom MacKenzie rarely if ever used the site but they are as knowledgable and open minded as any expert you can ever hope to meet and were/are incredibly helpful when you contact them directly. I think some of the old timers were dropping off well ahead of the format change. I think there are still lots of great folks openly sharing their experiences and it’s lovely to see guys like Rookie showing enthusiasm and appreciation.

Yes, many were visiting less often before the format change, good observation.

Hay. I ain’t not none of the old folks that don’t never not post here no more. I was Kudzu. I was bitten by a dog in a nuclear laboratory and became Rex.

I do miss the indented way that threads were displayed. Very easy to see who was talking to who. Or is that to whom?? To WHOM you wasn’t not talkin’ to.

I canoe; I will until I die.
No apology; I don’t give 2 hoots about “any” kayak, or any kayak’s accoutrements
If anyone for any reason gave me a new expensive kayak; I would take it, and immediately offer it for sale.

Have no interest in paddling on any lake or ocean; no interest equals no knowledge or skills.
I am only interested in river paddling in a canoe large enough to carry whatever gear I need or want; easily packed or unpacked.

No long paddle whitewater…
Age ,health, injuries, other interests, family, business interests, and out of state moves are examples of why many of my old group of ww paddling buds are now sidelined. I did whitewater with a select few who were skilled paddlers and in my mind worthy of my trust. All were lifeguard and advance swiftwater rescue instructors. All were wilderness first responders. Often inspired me to go for it! They’ be there for me if they could get to me.
Less usage of skills equals fewer skills. I hung up the whitewater paddles. Don’t want to be the victim at every drop, strainer, or boulder garden.

I’m still here, but I have developed some new hobbies, and new friends. Most of them can’t paddle worth a damn!
Going to the shooting range, reading a good book, taking a motorcycle road trip, shooting my longbow, or doing some half assed wood working project is more fun now.

Boring: "I want a 35 pound kayak with a bullet proof layup, city park/river/lake/ ocean worthy, should cost under 700 dollars, be totally outfitted, and easily to resell for a thousand. Want it tomorrow. Will someone haul it to Indiana from Seattle for 20 bucks for gas? I don’t like to do test paddles, but I know what I want. Boat must be candy apple red, and be made by vestal virgins, and ideally blessed by the Pope. Must look good sitting on my vehicle.

What is best paddle length for me? Best solo tent; best tent for 7? Best hat, flashlight, beer, liquor, dried meals, pots & pans, gloves, shoes, pfd, airbags, rainfly, soup spoon, cup, dried burritos, stove, table, chair? Sometimes learn by doing is the best teacher. Will you do my thesis for me; I’m to busy asking questions…NO! Get a life!

Your money, your boat, your time, your energy, your choice.
If it’s in a kayak; so be it. I don’t really care that much really.
Paddle a raft, paddle board,any boat you want; with or without outriggers.
If you’re having fun in a UV baked, plastic, neon green kayak you got on sale from Wally World; wow, you really researched that boat I’m sure & saved a pocket full of money! Be sure and post a review…
If you spend the majority of your time researching kayaks, and gear on a website; you’re wasting a whole hell of a lot of paddling time. Sooner or later, you’re going to have to get out on the water. Most likely a pnetter won’t be there to answer your questions.

No, I am not a pessimist. Not a guru, elitist, or role model. Yes, I truly do love to aggravate & stir the pot on occasion.
But for now, this old dude just cruises through & moves on down the road…or river.

Good luck in your search…
Good night Mrs Calabash, wherever you are.

BOB

Bob, what can you tell me about the Pongo? Does it have a gray thing? Can I safely paddle whitewater in it? My dog can swim and is very smart. Will two spade shovels taped together be a dandy paddle? They’ll get lighter as I paddle, because the handles are hollow and filled with beer that will be drank as I paddle.

Hold on, I need to check my twitter feed…

Apparently Old Paddlers are CRANKY.