Why such a difference between paddlers

I crossed Lake Michigan (70 miles) with my SOF kayak in 2 1/2 hours.

(Of course, it helped just a little bit that I had carried it onto the deck of the Muskegon High Speed Ferry.)

5 Likes

Looks like you could pick it up with your pinky; how light is it?

31 pounds. Ash and cedar cord-lashed frame with 9 ounce ballistic cloth and 2-part urethane coating. 18’ by 20" beam, based on a West Greenland hunting kayak surveyed by Harvey Golden (though the builder expanded the cockpit to a more standard keyhole.) A bit of rocker but the funny little stern skeg bump keeps it tracking well. Very pleasurable and fast, more footroom than a lot of skin on frames. It has adjustable foot pegs and a Snapdragon backband – I sit on a scrap of 1/2" Ensolite folded in half.

Brian Schulz of Cape Falcon Kayaks used to build versions of this model (another builder in Oregon, Dawa Nordrup, made this one).

http://www.capefalconkayak.com/1935sisimuit.html

2 Likes

That is a beautiful kayak. I love those skin on frame. I just don’t think I would like how tight the fit is getting in and out of them.

Not tight at all on mine. Bear in mind when you look at the photo that the boat is 18’ long. The cockpit is exactly the same size (19" by 36") as the one on my hardshell Venture sea kayak. They take the same spray skirt. I can actually plunk my butt into the cockpit and then draw my legs in one at a time under the coaming. And I can draw both legs out when I am on the water and hang them over the sides, which I sometimes do when relaxing on snack breaks near shore.

One of the big plusses of skin on frames is that you tailor them to your specs. Only historical perfectionists or folks who want to do a lot of recreational rolling keep the tiny traditional Greenland cockpits.

If you are curious about the build, I have a photo album of shots of the work in progress back in 2007:

2 Likes

I like your list system. Suggest you bring the extra paddle for rolling practice unless you have a solid hand roll. You obviously already know the general need for the extra paddle on deck.

And, it is fun practice rolling up with the spare paddle when you have to remove it from under the bungees while upside down.

And just like that, an example of the surfski set having an issue comes to the front of the line.

This story popped recently over at surfskiinfo.com

So I’m sure this is where sea kayakers will say: “see, this is why you need to carry an extra paddle”, and maybe they have a point.

I think my original statement was an observation on the how the different yet similar tribes focus on such uniquely different topics.

Not that one is right and one is wrong per say.

Here’s the story:

1 Like

Good read. Thanks!

I saw that, and my first reaction was the same, why don’t they carry a spare paddle.

though, on 2nd thought…

I paddle a seakayak in all conditions.
For daily paddle, rarely carry a spare.
Playing in surf (with car nearby), I’ll have a spare in the car (and have been required to ‘hand’ paddle (& roll) at times when breaking, losing paddle).
On ‘long’ day paddles (or trips), will carry spare.
So, in general, a spare paddle is a definite part of my ‘safety’ equip.

Surfski:
They’re tethered to their surfski, and I suspect will never (well, nearly) drop the paddle when being knocked over.
I’m guessing a broken paddle is an extremely rare event (I’d like to know the cause of the break in this case)
Maybe because they make ‘headlines’, but I’ve seen more incidents of shark attacks on surfski’s then broken paddles.
The ‘buddy’ system seems like a good idea (on those days with ‘interesting’ conditions)

Those South African’s are crazy.

Squirtboating, Whitewater, canoe poling?

the fact those 3 aren’t mentioned is why I rarely look at this forum any more. I see mostly, same old same old…as well as I sorta’ got tired of all the set up and find just going for a run is easier and more beneficial these days. What kind of run, lsd, hill sprints, trail, cross country, mixed???

I am in agreement with that. When I read folks saying that they use paddling as way to get fit, I think that, outside of competitive paddlers, these folks are overhyping/overexpecting what they will get out of it. With workouts, the more involved a process to get out and “do it”, the more likely it will get drop in due course.

I get (got) in much better shape and likely to get workouts from my daily bike commute to work; working out at my gym that is on the way to/from work; and doing hill sprints 2-3 times a week (I live at the top of a hill). These are easier to integrate into a daily/weekly routine.

Surf paddling, kayaking, fishing, hiking… These are largely weekend events that enliven my weekday life. My week day workouts allow me to enjoy the weekend activities more energetically (and safely).

sing

1 Like

Unless someone is racing the fitness from paddling is on the minimal side compared to more targeted toning and cardio work. But like fitness from playing golf, it is better than nothing. I can lose up to an inch on my waist if I hit paddling season too expanded, but I can lose other ways too.

That said, some of the people I see paddling for fitness would otherwise be on the nothing end of the spectrum. And hauling the boat is at least some upper body work.

I paddle canoes and even if one paddles daily I don’t think it’s a balanced workout. It feels like a few muscles may get strong while other parts of the body get ignored and others (like lower back) could get overtaxed. I’ve sometimes told people that “if you stand on my right side and a little behind me I could give you such a shove”. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m gonna have to politely disagree. Paddling within context of other activities is easily one of the best exercises I’ve ever been involved with.

But in fairness, we should compare apples to apples…

If you go out for a nice little sightseeing paddle, you’re not going to get much from it. Comparatively, if you go for a “walk” you may get the same benefit. A “run” describes a level of effort–otherwise, you’re just walking. If you ride a bicycle in the same way–very leisurely, avoiding hard effort, you’ll get the same benefit, and so on with just about any other activity.

But paddling hard is a whole new ball game–It involves the intersection of:

1. Aerobic Endurance
  2. Muscular Strength (to a great extent)
  3. Core Balance–especially on faster, tippy boats

Even better, paddling done properly is a full-body workout–using almost all the muscles. Compared to running and cycling, it is far superior.

We are not in disagreement. It’s just that I agree with what Daggermat noted – which I think it’s true for many paddlers – it is not an easy process to get on the water for most. And, thus, as a workout “routine” – as good as it can be – it is sporadic or episodic at best.

sing

1 Like

I get ya, Sing.
It’s true, water accessibility can definitely create convenience issues. I suppose I’m lucky that way.
I have varied access to water and a very fast, simple setup to get on/off the water gear-wise.
Running is no bueno for my knees and it actually takes me less time to get on the water than it does to get on my bike, but with that being said, I understand that it’s not always that easy for others to find access

flatwater, headwind, loaded boat, 10 miles to go and sun heading for the horizon. Yeah, that’s a workout. Loaded canoe weathercocking like crazy in a following sea…yup, arms are burning.Whitewater, little bursts of activity for the “must make” moves, but in general lots of looking with correction strokes…nah.Squirtboating? Good for the lungs and the adrenaline gland lol. I found canoe poling in ww a darn good workout. My local ww, and it’s a good section, is 20 minutes away…but in 20 minutes I can run 2 miles and do 100 pushups…and in an hour I can be done with a darn good workout, as opposed to just getting the canoe wet.
Canoed A LOT for 17 years with a lot of ww kayakers. Take 90% of those yakkers hiking or bicycling…nope, not a physically demanding activity.

You know that everybody is different. Some walk around the block…some walk the applacian trail. Some ride a bicycle around the block …some do centuries. Some paddle a mile and call it long…others paddle the Circumnavigation Trail around Florida (1, 500 mile)

Around the blockers might only be able to do half of that last year. It was for fitness just a lower level. The centurions and the Cats likely have a higher fitness…but to say no fitness only recognizes one level of fitness.

Granted I agree some what. Ride a bicycle to loose weight and you have to put in a lot of miles… each time. Paddle for fitness and you’d better do it a lot and properly. It’s not just arms in the kayak. It’s arms, waist, back, legs and cardio.

One of the reasons short plastic kayaks are so popular is that people need little skill to propel them. They often never get past the rank beginner stage.

1 Like

ahhh… so it is boat that makes the paddler… as one who paddles short plastic boats I’ll wear my rank beginner status with pride. As far as fitness goes- getting around the block is pretty good for me now; the appalachian trail was way back in the glory days. For me it’s simple: keep moving, have fun, stay safe. Embrace the diversity of this community. I like being around people who are passionate about paddling…“it’s all good.”

1 Like