Why use pegs?

I notice that in almost all the skin on frame designs, people opt to use wooden pegs, rather than screws. In the Yostwerks website, they even, at one point, show using stainless screws to hold things in place, only to take them out and drive in a peg later.

I can’t imagine a yostwerks plywood cross-section build being hung up on traditional building techniques, so what is their advantage over, say, stainless or brass screws?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

– James

Weight
I’m pretty sure it’s to reduce weight - 50 or more metal fasteners weigh a fair amount. Once the gluing and/or lashing is done, the fastener isn’t doing much, so can be removed.

Plywood and screws
Every drive a screw into the edge of plywood? It can split the plywood and wedge it open. It doesn’t have the strength that a glued joint would with or without pegs either.

On my first one I glued it and used a screw to clamp the joints tight while the epoxy set up. Never again!! Lot of problems and it took a long time.

Now I lash them with artificial sinew. It takes about the same amount of time but it is SIMPLE to remove if you find a mistake. If you manage to break something and need to do a repair just cut, remove and relash. Plus lashings flex slightly absorbing some of the force. Sort of like a built in shock absorber.

pegs
I’ve built quite a few Yost kayaks (and taught classes doing that too), all of mine are epoxied and if I want them stronger pegged too. As mentioned screws into edges of plywood have little strength. I use wire ties to hold the joints in place until the epoxy sets. I also use filets to increase the glue area.

Bill H.