Why would I want a Non plastic Kayak?

WE have 3 sea kayaks under 16 feet. I think they are sometimes called transitional kayaks? But same lines and can handle surf, waves, and long open ocean passages. Eddyline Sitka LT, Stellar 15 LV, and Petral Play-all great boats.

ok guys and gals, I realize there are all different kinds of materials and that the quality and characteristics of each material can very. There are cheap heavy plastic boats and there are cheap glass boats (chopped). The generalization that the composites are more durable and will last longer is utter nonsense from a ww perspective.

Consider that ww kayaking took a huge jump in popularity when plastic boats became widely available. I used to spend a lot of my time patching my glass lettman and phoenix slipper. My first plastic boat, a gyramax was a miracle. It meant I could spend more time paddling and less time patching. If by high performance, you mean dragging it across the parking lot, bouncing over and off of rocks, seal launching, and pinning it, then plastic is the clear winner. The op probably doesn’t need a plastic boat for where he paddles. I do however.

I like hitting rocks. What can I say, I’m not too bright but I am bright enough to know that I would rather paddle than patch. If your composite boats are outlasting your plastic boats, and you’re boating them in the same environment, treating them the same way, then I gotta believe you bought some cheap-a## plastic boats.

2 Likes

We is a different story entirely.