Wide paddle

More Bicycling Comparison
Take two paddles with you. One with significantly more ‘bite’ than the other. Think two cadences… two chainrings.

an idea to share
If you are not feeling enough resistance, then paddle faster. I think most beginners do not understand that you can’t just lillydip along and expect to get a work out. Paddling can get your heart pounding with any size adult paddle if you turn it faster. Move your arms at running speed not walking speed. Do wind sprints. You’ll get a workout and if your form is good your arms will rarely be tired before your abs and your legs.

That’s a good point
After a workout, if only your arms are tired, then you’re paddling wrong. Ideally you should be sore everywhere. Wait, why do we like this again?

You want a wide paddle.
That makes sense. Aquabound makes a touring paddle called Manta Ray or a WW model called Shred. They both have good grip on the water. Nice for getting some bite. They will tire you a bit faster, but sometimes we like to feel the bite. You can buy one right now at a very reasonable price. They both work great for their intended uses. I have lots of paddles and am always pleased when I choose to use them for the day.

Maybe there is a market for an
expanding blade paddle.

That actually sounds like a good idea.

In the words of
Carl ‘the Groundskeeper’ Spackler: " We can do that; we don’t even have to have a reason."

Like a Nissan Transmission

– Last Updated: Oct-26-10 7:47 PM EST –

a continuously variable paddle.

I hear Campy is offering an 11 speed cassette.