Wild Country

It seems to me that most people on this forum don’t venture very far in or with their boats. I’m wondering if it a matter of choice or circumstance. The last thing I want to see while paddling is developed shoreline. There is such a shortage of that along America’s coastlines that I don’t have any urge to travel to the coast unless it’s south of the border. The hell with Canada. Too cold for me any more.

What do you folks look for when paddling. Wild country, adreneline boasts, camaraderie or something else?

To Hell with Canada?
hmm…seems to me if the United States has developed all its coastline, maybe you should head somewhere that doesn’t?

Cold in Canada? I don’t know what you’re talking about. We have seasons here also you know, including summer.

Jim.

Now, south of the border (your southern border) - now thats a plan also!!

Water
I look for water. To paddle in. I don’t see my kayaks as vehicles to take me somewhere. It is the experience of paddling that I enjoy. I don’t care what the shoreline looks like.

As far as “circumstance”–I live in a populated area, have a job, and make very little money. If I turned up my nose at the local lakes and rivers because they lack postcard scenery, I would only get to paddle once or twice a year.

Well, there’s Canada, and…

– Last Updated: Apr-10-05 11:57 AM EST –

...there's Canada. I'm in Canada, but I'm at the same latitude as Coos Bay Oregon. SOUTH of the whole state of Washington. Are you saying you'd never paddle the Columbia River if given the opportunity?
But I do take your point Pahsimeroi, I can find total seclusion in a matter of minutes by vehicle, or paddle from my back yard to any number of deserted islands with sandy beaches in a few hours.

No I Wouldn’t
No, I wouldn’t paddle the Columbia. I lived along the Salmon in Idaho. Why visit the Columbia? I don’t find it that scenic. Coos Bay is too cold for me anymore. I’ve camped on enough subzero nights to be an expert at it. I’m more than ready for the heat. Gave my cold weather clothes to charity and now live in AZ. Don’t have anything against Canada just want the heat now.

The purpose of this thread is to show that there’s different strokes for different folks. No one form of recreation is superior to another. While I enjoy solitute and don’t like living anywhere near a city that doesn’t make my lifestyle superior to others. Jetskiers deserve the same amount of respect as wilderness adventures.

I’m buying another lot today to build a home on. We decided that we’re too accustomed to isolation to live on a paved road. If I can’t stand outside on my place to piss there’s too many neighbors.

I hate doing taxes. This is a good break.

paddling
There are a lot of places to avoid people in the states, are you sure you’ve done your share of paddling?

The Great Lakes has more coast line than the east and west coast of the USA COMBINED.

What about the Boundary Waters or the lakes of Minnesota (i.e Land of 10,000 Lakes…ahhh! Did you know that Michigan has 11,000 lakes! No joke.)

Hmm let me see, Lake Powell, 1200 miles of shoreline all undeveloped. Flaming Gorge… 800 miles of undeveloped shoreline. Lake Sakakawea in NORTH DAKOTA has over a thousand miles of shoreline! Ah…the Missouri River, a good several hundred miles in Montana along without developement.

Canada cold? WHere have you been. I’ve paddled in the arctic on the Artic Ocean and it was in the 80’s!!! Gees they get 24 hours of sun for two months without the sun dipping below the horizon. Cold? Yes in the winter.Well I dont need to defend the ole American Landmass, Im sure all you other paddlers know of the isolated places where you dont see anyone!

Florida- Keys, Maine…oh boy, NY adirondaks, Mississppi Delta…hell just 10 miles south of the million population of New Orleans you wont see anyone! Texas…Rio Grand. Utah…San Juan, GREAT SALT LAKE ( Largest Salt Water Lake in the World…you wont see any development less than 2%)…more Utah…Green& Colorado Rivers.

Idaho Salmon, Snake, Selway, Clearwater. Wyoming…yellowstone, Grand Tetons…

The list goes on!

NM

you said
You said the purpose of this thread is “That there is different strokes for different folks and no form of recreation is superior to others”

Ah, well I think we all know that here, but do we need a thread to say it?

Lake Powell
Now that fascinates me. Imagine the things that must pop up when a body of water drops 140 feet…

Havent been here long eh?

– Last Updated: Apr-10-05 3:10 PM EST –

50,000 registered paddlers stop by here and they come from all walks of life. Some travel to the corners of the earth to find paddling paradise while many just have to walk out the back door.
I think many of us here just like to paddle so we hop on local waters. Where is it that you like to paddle?

You evidently have not looked very far.
My wife and I also enjoy the wild uninhabited areas and I am here to tell you that we have found them.

On the coast, in marshes, in estuaries, on lakes and on rivers. there are tons of them left.

Get the various state atlas topo map books that are available for each state, and then pick the place you want to paddle.

If there are no little red lines, (roads and streets) along the river, coast line, etc where you want to go then there are no houses or very few there. If there are a bunch of little red lines, pass it up there will be a bunch of houses.

Go down to the coast and paddle in some estuaries you will be by yourself all day.

Go down to Florida and paddle out to some of the zillion off shore unin habited keys, or paddle the 99 mile wilderness water way

When you are looking at rivers, check out ones that flow through state or national parks. Their shore lines are mostly pristene and protected for ever for you and you grandchildren to enjoy.

Takes a little homework, but you will be amazed at how much uninabited areas still exist.

Cheers,

JackL

I like variety …

– Last Updated: Apr-11-05 10:05 PM EST –

I don’t want to seem religious

– Last Updated: Apr-10-05 10:06 PM EST –

but even places that may seem mundane to an "adventurer" bring new excitement with each paddling experience. It may be different cloud formations, different collections of wildlife, varied textures of the water etc. that can make the seemingly everyday seem exciting. I would certainly welcome the opportunity to paddle many of the places that have been described on this site; but if I don't, I'll still heartily enjoy my backyard.

AZ? Aint that a desert?
Thats almost as bad as texas! :slight_smile:

So many waters!
I live in what was once called the “Great American Desert”. There are great rivers to paddle in the “Sand Hills” of Nebraska or the Prairie Provinces of Canada. Maybe not as popular as the Boundry Waters & others, still, it’s where you can find it. The coasts, mountain west rivers/lakes, ozarks & bayous. It’s all great!

Bouncy Water
Is the best. A lovely old house, or a gnarly old working fishery on the coast can both be wonderful to look at. A super dense foggy morning on an otherwise so-so smaller river can seem like a religious experience. Juvenile bald eagles playing “king of the rock” is a hoot.

But apparently the ulterior motive on this thread has more to do with preparing taxes and resenting indoor plumbing than where people paddle…

Paddling in the fog
I’ve done some of that in some protected areas (protected from the open sea and boat traffic that is) up in Canada (Bay of Fundy). We like to get out whare we can’t see any landmarks anymore and paddle by compass. Now that’s an eerie experience. You and the water and the void…

Solitude Is…
where you find it, in your heart and mind. You can be in the middle of nowhere and be “crowded” by the incessants thoughts and concerns of everyday life.

sing

I have to say canada
has afforded me two of the best wilderness trips of my life.

Pukaskwa National Park, and the Archipelago of islands from Silver Islet to Rossport on the north Shore of Lake Superior. But as long as there are wankers that think it’s too cold to paddle up there, it will stay wilderness.

So stay the heck out of my canada eh!

Yea
Been to Powell via the Escalante, Flaming Gorge, Mead, Sea of Cortez, Salmon, Verde and hoping for much more. My dream trip is the Owyhee from NV to OR. I’m well aware of the plethora of paddling places.

Would never do BWCA or MN. Hate skeeters. Canada is infested with them. Won’t go there. Live near Mead now. I can get all the practice I want here. Arizona has some great paddling. Desert paddling will probably my only destinations from now on. Alaska looks nice but the you have to put up with bugs and Alaskans. You have to be nuts to stay in the dark like that. Have yet to meet an Alaskan that wasn’t on the wild side. The natives live there because all the good places were taken.

If you’re good at getting into the back country share your experiences. Don’t keep them to yourselves. By educating people about wild country we will be able to keep it wild. I have no respect for those that keep places secret for themselves.

Ever notice how you have to prick some people to get them to respond?

Yes

– Last Updated: Apr-11-05 6:34 PM EST –

"Ever notice how you have to prick some people to get them to respond?"

Yep, read your post and the word prick did come to mind.