Wilderness Systems Sealution Recondition

I just purchased (my first) a Wilderness Systems Sealution 16’ Kayak (Fiberglass model). Robins Egg Blue top and white hull. Obviously, this is a used kayak with it’s share of scratches and had been stored outside so there is oxidation. I am planning a recondition of this kayak and needed some advice and assistance on a couple of items.

1. What is the best way to remove the decals and stickers for the kayak without damaging the body? (They are old and faded)

2. How to repair or recondition the scratches on the hull?

3. I would like to remove as much of the oxidation as possible from the top and bring out that robins egg blue color. How would you suggest I go about doing that? I was planning on using this product: http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product/Specialty-Kits/Fiberglass-Restoration-System

What are your thoughts?

4. On this type of kayak, would it be prudent to add any further flotation material?

5. There is a one inch wide black plastic-type strip that runs around the seam that connects the top and the hull. It is brittle in some spots. What is this and how would I go about repairing or replacing?

6. As I will be using this for some night fishing, I want to paint the inside of the cockpit and storage areas, white. Do I need to throw down some primer/marine primer and marine paint to accomplish this?

7. The seat is not the most comfortable with no back support. Alternatives?

8. If I should decide to repaint the entire kayak down the road, should I try his myself or hire a professional?

Any help, suggestions, recommendations (Am I missing Something?) would be greatly appreciated.

wow…go for it!
1st off congrats. sounds like you like working on projects!

1. What is the best way to remove the decals and stickers for the kayak without damaging the body? (They are old and faded)

heat gun. heat up the sticker and pull off. remove glue and residue with wd40, paint thinner or small quantities of acetone.

2. How to repair or recondition the scratches on the hull?

why? check the archives for gel coat repair but unless they are gouges into the substrate, why bother?

3. I would like to remove as much of the oxidation as possible from the top and bring out that robins egg blue color. How would you suggest I go about doing that? I was planning on using this product: http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product/Specialty-Kits/Fiberglass-Restoration-System

yep. remove all decklines and go for it. electric buffer works great.

What are your thoughts?

4. On this type of kayak, would it be prudent to add any further flotation material?

it has bulkheads, right? NO additional floats needed.

5. There is a one inch wide black plastic-type strip that runs around the seam that connects the top and the hull. It is brittle in some spots. What is this and how would I go about repairing or replacing?

yuck. this is a fiberglass tape and can be replaced. not fun but do-able.

6. As I will be using this for some night fishing, I want to paint the inside of the cockpit and storage areas, white. Do I need to throw down some primer/marine primer and marine paint to accomplish this?

yes. get some good marine epoxy paint and go for it. IMO.

7. The seat is not the most comfortable with no back support. Alternatives?

add an aftermarket backstrap. Wilderness makes one as well as others. NRS, North Shore, etc.

8. If I should decide to repaint the entire kayak down the road, should I try his myself or hire a professional?

sounds like you are a DIY kinda guy. go for it

Any help, suggestions, recommendations (Am I missing Something?) would be greatly appreciated.

have fun and don’t get too hung up on the project. it’s ONLY a boat!

steve

What flatpick said …
3. I’ve used the Meguiars No. 49 from the kit. Works great. Rather than buying the whole kit you can buy the oxidation remover (No. 49) and use any boat/fiberglass wax. Might be a little cheaper. Electronic buffer = good.

“5. There is a one inch wide black plastic-type strip that runs around the seam that connects the top and the hull. It is brittle in some spots. What is this and how would I go about repairing or replacing?

yuck. this is a fiberglass tape and can be replaced. not fun but do-able.”

If the tape is mostly sound, but coming off in a few spots, I would clean up these areas then patch with a bias cut piece of glass cloth and epoxy resin tinted with black pigment.

Remember, it’s more important to paddle than have a perfect looking boat, so if you spend a lot of hours on the restoration you’ll have to paddle a lot to make up for it.

Best,

~wetzool

citra-solve
is a orange oil that will take the gum off . Simmonize makes a spray remover for those things also .

I bought an old yak w/the H-channel brittle too . When you pressed yer figer on it , it cracked off like paint , so I did that round the whole yak an then filled it in w/epoxy , now it looks like awave pattern that has gotten a few compliments .